• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmm..do you like low flying aircraft?....then here ya go!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Another Ahab

Practicing paired tactical approach at just 300 ft AGL (Above Ground Level)....
Carry on!
I love the sound of those Globemaster turbines.

That's the giveaway around here when you hear traffic overhead (the house is all of 3 miles from Reagan National Airport).

That "fine turbine whine" tells you it's not something commercial climbing out of Reagan, but a C-17 climbing out of Joint Base Andrews (for some reason traffic from both takes the same flight path over the house).

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Watched an SR-71 do a low-level performance at an airshow (late 1970s), it was VERY impressive and agile, and blew diamond shaped flames out the afterburner. :)
I was suitably impressed, because all you ever heard about them was high and faaast, it was cool to see one thundering around low.

I don't know if they said it at the show, or if I read it somewhere, but the low level, lower speed, performance of an SR-71 is reportedly comparable to a T-38/F-5 in turn rate, roll rate, etc.

Funny thing about that show was we knew nothing about it until a couple of hours beforehand.
A buddy and I were on leave, visiting in San Antonio and walked into a restaurant for breakfast. There was a flyer on the door that said there was an airshow that day at what was then Kelly AFB. We said "Look, an airshow! Lets eat and get on over there!", so we did.
By our chance seeing that flyer, we got to watch the only SR-71 show performance I've ever seen, and I've been to a lot of airshows.

Cheers

Last edited:

BnaditCorps

I love the sound of those Globemaster turbines.

That's the giveaway around here when you hear traffic overhead (the house is all of 3 miles from Reagan National Airport).

That "fine turbine whine" tells you it's not something commercial climbing out of Reagan, but a C-17 climbing out of Joint Base Andrews (for some reason traffic from both takes the same flight path over the house).
That is a great sound, but I personally prefer how the C-5's sound when they fly over the house. Before I was on SS a C-5 was either coming into or leaving (can't remember which) Travis AFB and flew no more than 3000 feet over the house. Windows rattled, dogs went crazy, and the sound was deafening.

Another time I was on a school field trip to the Suisun Marsh and we had at least a dozen planes fly over at low level (it is right below the flight path). They were all C-5's or C-17's, but they were all low level. I remember most of the kids covering their ears from the noise, but I was doing all I could to contain my excitement.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a great sound, but I personally prefer how the C-5's sound when they fly over the house. Before I was on SS a C-5 was either coming into or leaving (can't remember which) Travis AFB and flew no more than 3000 feet over the house. Windows rattled, dogs went crazy, and the sound was deafening.

Another time I was on a school field trip to the Suisun Marsh and we had at least a dozen planes fly over at low level (it is right below the flight path). They were all C-5's or C-17's, but they were all low level. I remember most of the kids covering their ears from the noise, but I was doing all I could to contain my excitement.
The new C-5M (modified C-5B) are a lot quieter. I understand they use the same engines as the KC-10 Tanker. I had a chance to chat with the USAF group from Travis when they toured the C-17 facility a few years back. They were at the factory for the start of production of their first C-17 Globemaster 3. Start of production is when we load the forward, center, aft fuselage, and wing on the Nicholson tool in Dept. 17J major join. They were happy to be getting some new aircraft as their C-5As had a dispatch reliability rate of about 50%. Travis also maintained and operated the only C-5C in USAF inventory. This was a C5-A modified to carry the solid rocket boosters for the space shuttle program.

Guyfang

Staff member
The new C-5M (modified C-5B) are a lot quieter. I understand they use the same engines as the KC-10 Tanker. I had a chance to chat with the USAF group from Travis when they toured the C-17 facility a few years back. They were at the factory for the start of production of their first C-17 Globemaster 3. Start of production is when we load the forward, center, aft fuselage, and wing on the Nicholson tool in Dept. 17J major join. They were happy to be getting some new aircraft as their C-5As had a dispatch reliability rate of about 50%. Travis also maintained and operated the only C-5C in USAF inventory. This was a C5-A modified to carry the solid rocket boosters for the space shuttle program.

When I lived in Ramstein/Kaiserslautern Germany, the C5 was a daily part of our lives. Multiple landings and takeoffs, daily. Engine run ups at all hours of the day and night. I loved it! During the first sand box war, the pace ramped up till it was almost a non stop affair. And not just the C5. Every conceivable aircraft you can imagine.

As far as I can remember, only 2 C5's have ever gone down. One was in Viet Nam, and one in Ramstein.

BnaditCorps

When I lived in Ramstein/Kaiserslautern Germany, the C5 was a daily part of our lives. Multiple landings and takeoffs, daily. Engine run ups at all hours of the day and night. I loved it! During the first sand box war, the pace ramped up till it was almost a non stop affair. And not just the C5. Every conceivable aircraft you can imagine.

As far as I can remember, only 2 C5's have ever gone down. One was in Viet Nam, and one in Ramstein.
C-5's and C-17's are part of our daily life here as well, rarely does a day go by where you don't see or hear one, whenever the war in the Middle East picked up you would know without having to watch the news as flights increased and different flight patterns were taken due to increased traffic.

That is a worst case scenario that is always in the back of our minds, well that or a KC-10 going down. The amount of fuel those things carry would overwhelm our local resources since Travis AFB is the only place for 30-45 minutes with crash trucks (Sacramento Intl. is the next place).

Thankfully the airmen keep them airborne so we have not had to deal with anything like that, and I hope it stays that way for everyone's sake.

Another Ahab

That is a worst case scenario that is always in the back of our minds, well that or a KC-10 going down. The amount of fuel those things carry would overwhelm our local resources since Travis AFB is the only place for 30-45 minutes with crash trucks (Sacramento Intl. is the next place).
As long as the re-fueling is always from KC-10's and NOT motorcycles, the numbers say everything should be fine:

ABC.jpg

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter

C-5M Crash.pngC-5M Crash 2.jpg Guyfang, this freshly rebuilt C-5M crashed at Dover AFB in 2006. The entire crew survived, and the investigation revealed that errors were made by the Pilot & Flight Engineer. The only C-17 lost was ship 63 that crashed with the loss of crew, at Elmendorf AFB while practicing for an upcoming airshow. The investigation revealed pilot error. To my knowledge no KC-10 Extender aircraft have been lost.

Another Ahab

Guyfang, this freshly rebuilt C-5M crashed at Dover AFB in 2006. The entire crew survived, and the investigation revealed that errors were made by the Pilot & Flight Engineer. The only C-17 lost was ship 63 that crashed with the loss of crew, at Elmendorf AFB while practicing for an upcoming airshow. The investigation revealed pilot error. To my knowledge no KC-10 Extender aircraft have been lost.
Some article I read years ago (like 10-15 years back) suggested that as good as commercial flight safety is (or was, at that time), that it could be improved dramatically by automating all flights. :3dAngus:

It was a scientific article (in Scientific American I believe it was), and it had statistics to back up the suggestion.

I'm writing this now , because one major point of the article was that nearly ALL commercial flight accidents were due to a single criterion:

- Pilot Error

The article was saying that if you take the pilot (the human component) out of the equation that flight safety would improve dramatically.

The conclusion of the article pointed out the psychological problem with this proposal:

- Almost nobody wants to sit inside a plane that doesn't have a pilot (all safety statistics aside).

The article pointed out how it was proven that people are hesitant to even get on an automated train (without a "driver"). The chances of getting them on an automated plane (until the reliability is proven), is almost nil.

The End

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some article I read years ago (like 10-15 years back) suggested that as good as commercial flight safety is (or was, at that time), that it could be improved dramatically by automating all flights. :3dAngus:

It was a scientific article (in Scientific American I believe it was), and it had statistics to back up the suggestion.

I'm writing this now , because one major point of the article was that nearly ALL commercial flight accidents were due to a single criterion:

- Pilot Error

The article was saying that if you take the pilot (the human component) out of the equation that flight safety would improve dramatically.

The conclusion of the article pointed out the psychological problem with this proposal:

- Almost nobody wants to sit inside a plane that doesn't have a pilot (all safety statistics aside).

The article pointed out how it was proven that people are hesitant to even get on an automated train (without a "driver"). The chances of getting them on an automated plane (until the reliability is proven), is almost nil.

The End
Brother Ahab. Take a look at where the world is going. They want to do away with Airline & Military Pilots, Train Engineers, Truck Drivers, Cabbies and Ships Captains. How many jobs do you think are going the way of the DoDo bird due to automation. And no, I don't think these companies are concerned that much with safety, I think as usual all they care about is the bottom line. If these companies really want to save money they should automate CEO, CFO, COO positions, and the technology exists to do it. Research has shown that CEOs make the wrong decisions almost 50% of the time. 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks