• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmm..do you like low flying aircraft?....then here ya go!

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
19740612 SBA 74216 Conroy Super Turbo Three N156WA left front l.jpg This is a Super DC-3 with Rolls Royce Dart turbo prop engines. The super 3 has different wings, horizontal stabilizer, vertical stabilizer, along with main landing gear doors and a retractable tail wheel. Douglas built about 100 Super DC-3s designated C-117A for the Navy, and about 30 Super DC-3s for commercial airlines. The Super DC-3 was fitted with two 1,475 horsepower Wright R-1820 engines.
download.jpg

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 865102 This is a Super DC-3 with Rolls Royce Dart turbo prop engines. The super 3 has different wings, horizontal stabilizer, vertical stabilizer, along with main landing gear doors and a retractable tail wheel. Douglas built about 100 Super DC-3s designated C-117A for the Navy, and about 30 Super DC-3s for commercial airlines. The Super DC-3 was fitted with two 1,475 horsepower Wright R-1820 engines.
View attachment 865104
That's a decent "looking" bird

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That's interesting Tracer... The DC-8 has a pretty good crab angle coming over the threshold. I noticed in the following image the trees aren't leaning, so maybe the air is different a little lower. :)

Had to snag a few screen scrapes...

DC-6B Low pass and landing a@ Stavanger 01.jpg

DC-6B Low pass and landing a@ Stavanger 02.jpg

DC-6B Low pass and landing a@ Stavanger 03.jpg

Stavenger is over in Norway and a quick look shows water on three sides - so wind could definitely be a factor!

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great aircraft
View attachment 865102 This is a Super DC-3 with Rolls Royce Dart turbo prop engines. The super 3 has different wings, horizontal stabilizer, vertical stabilizer, along with main landing gear doors and a retractable tail wheel. Douglas built about 100 Super DC-3s designated C-117A for the Navy, and about 30 Super DC-3s for commercial airlines. The Super DC-3 was fitted with two 1,475 horsepower Wright R-1820 engines.
View attachment 865104
Great aircraft and reliable as hell. The best looking jet airliner IMHO was the old DC9. She had such great lines. You guys should read up on the old
https://www.google.com/search?clien...2ahUKEwjO3uya8sn4AhUal4kEHeFEDgUQ3LoBegQIBBAB
de Havilland Comet. Fantastic aircraft unfortunately had a major design flaw in those square windows.

1434663385108.jpg

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whoa, nice post Tracer!!

That forest of wind turbines is as interesting as the airframe:

- What is the Stratolaunch designed to do (other than fly)?!
Ahab' Stratolaunch is designed to carry a rocket to high altitudes and then launch the rocket. The smaller rocket can then reach the same orbit as a larger more expensive rocket when launched from a higher altitude, making the cost to launch a satellite cheaper. Stratolaunch was the idea of the late Paul Allen, and it just made its 7th test flight recently from the Mojave Space Port.

LQgSj9LBYUA4oLXy43nCoi.jpg

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw Comets, both long-nosed and short-nosed flying over every day back in the early 1970s in Ireland. Our house was under the approach path, and about seven miles from, Dublin airport. I always thought they were a graceful looking aircraft. The French Caravelle was another attractive plane of that era.
From home, I got to see all the airliners of the day, and a lot of military aircraft too, since Baldonnel air base was just a few miles away.

The Comet lived on in the anti-submarine and ELINT Nimrod until around 2011. Looking at a Nimrod, you can see the Comet clearly, as it is essentially a Comet with another tube stuck to the bottom to hold the search radar and weapons bay. Some call the Nimrod ugly, but I rather like it (but then, I think F-4 Phantoms are beautiful too!).

Cheers

Nimrod MR1 3.jpg Nimrod MR2 2.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks