• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hmmwv 6.2 7 cylinder

86sa

So my hmmwv finally arrived. Listed as not running, missing starter and alt, fine. What was not listed was that the engine was a 7 cylinder as one rod came apart and locked crankshaft. I wonder if that condition was noted on the turn in paperwork? I suspect it was and not listed on the auction description. Not cool. Any suggestions? Nice clean inside engine, only needs a crankshaft, rod and lots of labor.

KsM715

It's mil surplus. They are not in the used car business. If it doesn't run they list it as " doesn't run". They doesn't waste time trying to figure out why it doesn't run. As far as turn in paperwork I'd bet a dollar to a dime that specific problem wasn't listed on it either. Bet it was listed as "unserviceable"

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So my hmmwv finally arrived. Listed as not running, missing starter and alt, fine. What was not listed was that the engine was a 7 cylinder as one rod came apart and locked crankshaft. I wonder if that condition was noted on the turn in paperwork? I suspect it was and not listed on the auction description. Not cool. Any suggestions? Nice clean inside engine, only needs a crankshaft, rod and lots of labor.

There is no way to know what was wrong internally to that engine until it was taken apart....unless you had a rod literally sticking out of the oil pan. The Govt don't rebuild motors at the unit level...it's sent to the proper level of maint to have the engine removed, and a new or rebuilt installed, the old goes into the can, then is returned, then it's determined if its feasible to rebuild or scrap. Once you see parts off the engine, just assume it was dead motor.
Another is a truck was deadlined for what ever, The part was on back order, so we just took parts off that deadlined truck....when all the parts finally came in for the 5 other all ready fixed trucks, we just put the parts back on that one donor truck.

86sa

They have a checklist for a lot of things, maybe one of the things to check when the engine doesn't run should be to grab the fan and see if the engine is free or locked up. Easy enough to do. The crossover pipe and flywheel cover had been removed and reinstalled, the condition was known before it was turned over to be auctioned. Past experience with mil surplus from a drmo would usually have some paperwork related to the condition, I guess that was to many years ago, things and procedures change.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They have a checklist for a lot of things, maybe one of the things to check when the engine doesn't run should be to grab the fan and see if the engine is free or locked up. Easy enough to do. The crossover pipe and flywheel cover had been removed and reinstalled, the condition was known before it was turned over to be auctioned. Past experience with mil surplus from a drmo would usually have some paperwork related to the condition, I guess that was to many years ago, things and procedures change.

GP will not use ANY turn in paperwork from the Govt as a way to determine condition for resale...at least that is what I was told by GP.
not sure what you were expecting....it said does not run right? Whenever I see that, I ALWAYS assume the motor is toast, this way, when it's something simple and not a blown motor, it's a win win, so I always bid accordingly.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GP will not use ANY turn in paperwork from the Govt as a way to determine condition for resale...at least that is what I was told by GP.
not sure what you were expecting....it said does not run right? Whenever I see that, I ALWAYS assume the motor is toast, this way, when it's something simple and not a blown motor, it's a win win, so I always bid accordingly.
assume anything you don't see run is dead beyond resurrection and bid accordingly.

That being said, EVERY single "dead" truck I've bought from GL or GP has run with less than an hour of working on it.

A motor swap 6.2 for 6.2 is a minor expense and a minor amount of work in the scheme of things.

tage

Hope you didn't pay too much for it.... That said, you can try to put a claim on it, but it'll be denied. Since it's missing a bunch ole stuff, swap might be a cheaper option as surplus is no longer surplus for these trucks.... LOL :(

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope you didn't pay too much for it.... That said, you can try to put a claim on it, but it'll be denied. Since it's missing a bunch ole stuff, swap might be a cheaper option as surplus is no longer surplus for these trucks.... LOL :(

Of course it's surplus...the parts and trucks came due too being surplused due to age and other various factors.
i buy parts everyday for the business...part prices are better now than at any time in history...don't let the price of tops and doors be the guiding factor...it's supply and demand. I have other trucks that are ridiculous part prices...try an LMTV.

trooper632

Call GP and tell them the issue all they can say is Tough, I have a friend with similar problem with a HHMWV, he called and the refunded him 2k. Nothing lost in a phone call

86sa

Claim denied. They claim engine would not start, and starter missing are two separate statements. They said the statement " engine would not start " should indicate major mechanical problems. I guess they used a secret unknown method to try to start the engine other than the use of a starter and found it could not be started. Could not be started and crankshaft not able to turn are two very different things. They say that they are able to prime injector pumps and jump start, but they cannot grab a hold of radiator fan and check for locked up motor in the absents of a starter. Silly me. I thought in order to start an engine you either needed a starter or with a manual transmission a push. So much for iron clad warranty. Any words they can wriggle by on they will use. My experience with iron clad so far leads me to believe that their first duty is to find any reason to deny. I'm sure other people have had different results. Beware. Of course your results may vary. Just an update and observation. Only respond with constructive discussion.

dilvoy

OK so you have now been to your first Rodeo. Now you should know that if things like engines are normally started as part of the description process and can't be started, the whole driveline can't be test driven and that must be a consideration when bidding. An excellent looking and seemingly well maintained vehicle that can't be easily started by people that benefit from having it running, should be a sign of a potential problem, possibly catastrophic or maybe if lucky a simple little thing. The question you must ask yourself before placing a bid amount is if you feel lucky. Well do ya?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well you tried at least.

Now for the fun part, putting in a GOOD motor. Personally, I'd go with a 6.5 with the center mount turbo, but others have put 6.2s back in or there is the cummins conversion.

Post some pics so we can see your truck!

86sa

There were some nice 6.5 turbo with trans and transfer take outs for 5000.00 unfortunately all gone. Would have been real nice. Dealing with DRMOs was a much better experience, less sleazy mouthpieces, but I'm sure the deniers are pleased with themselves, probably gave each other high fives.

tage

The descriptions lately have been scheisse.
Was bidding on a tractor on iron planet, and about half way through the auction they updated the tractor from "won't start" to " Runs but trans won't engage". I called the rep and they told me a whole different range of symptoms...

They're getting lazy with all the $$$ they're making.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no comparison between GL and GP IMHO, GL just plain sucked as far as listings were concerned on rolling stock...you got what ever you got! There was no warranty....I have personally used the iron clad warranty to my satisfaction. IP has its issues, but I find there people are/have been a pleasure to deal with.

as far as your claim goes......non running listed truck, you get what you get. I bid on non-runners all the time, and to me
that means I plan on putting a motor, trans, tcase in it....or more. Just no way to know.
no idea what you paid for the truck, no idea of overall condition of the truck...for all I know, you got a good deal on a non runner. You have posted no pics to date...

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There were some nice 6.5 turbo with trans and transfer take outs for 5000.00 unfortunately all gone. Would have been real nice. Dealing with DRMOs was a much better experience, less sleazy mouthpieces, but I'm sure the deniers are pleased with themselves, probably gave each other high fives.

being I do this conversion all the time....the cost of this conversion will be double or more of what you paid for the truck.

Lawdog734

as far as your claim goes......non running listed truck, you get what you get. I bid on non-runners all the time, and to me
that means I plan on putting a motor, trans, tcase in it....or more. Just no way to know.
no idea what you paid for the truck, no idea of overall condition of the truck...for all I know, you got a good deal on a non runner. You have posted no pics to date...
I completely agree with the above statement. It's the risk you take with something listed as a "non-runner" and you're expecting an awful lot from a business with essentially a monopoly on military vehicle auctions. IP/GP isn't the used car lot down the road that is competing with 50 other use car lots in a 25 mile radius, so they give you just enough info to work off of and that's it. I can't blame them for denying the claim - it was sold as they described and it's up to you to determine what the issue is.

My first M1038 purchased via them I paid careful attention to the pictures, watched the inspection videos closely, etc. I wasn't concerned about paint or easily replaced things like cushions as much as I wanted a straight body with a running engine - operative word being "running". Even with it being a runner, I knew that minor parts were likely to need replacement - I just didn't want major rebuild issues, etc. I wanted one that fired up and I bid accordingly.

My second M1038 I purchased from them was sold as a non-runner, but the overall condition was pretty cherry. Looking at the inspection pictures, it appeared that it was missing an alternator, belts and batteries. I bid not knowing if it was a blown engine or simply parts missing. I picked it up, replaced the obvious missing parts (to include the fuel tank plug - don't forget to check for that) and it fired right up. The engine runs great, but there are transmission issues that I'm working through - probably the reason parts were cannibalized and it was sold as a non-runner.

It's the risk you take in bidding on surplus items. I personally have no complaints and I'd have to say that my experience with IP was actually very pleasant. The closest you'll get to a sure thing would be to buy from someone like Retired War Horses or even one of the recent auction trucks turning up on Craigslist as at least you'll have the opportunity to inspect it completely yourself, but then it's not the "deal" you get by going direct.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks