• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hmmwv 6.2 7 cylinder

86sa

The engine could not be started, the starter is missing. The engine could not be started, the fuel tank is missing. Do you feel the same about each statement? Both statements should give you the feeling that the engine could have serious issues, but they don't do they. Just ip word games. In which of these scenarios does the engine turn over. One might think perhaps the second one, but by ip standards it could be neither or both. The bidders opinion could be swayed by clever phrases or omissions. Of course it could not be started without a fuel tank any thoughts good or bad beyond that would be based upon conjecture. I think that most people would not read into the situation that the engine was damaged because of a missing fuel tank, the same thought path should apply to a missing starter. And so it goes.

86sa

I have to figure how to get pictures from my phone to this forum. I use my phone mostly as a phone, sometimes camera, and internet source but not for email or sending pictures. I'm working on it. Looking for my roundtuit, it's here somewhere.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engine could not be started, the starter is missing. The engine could not be started, the fuel tank is missing. Do you feel the same about each statement? Both statements should give you the feeling that the engine could have serious issues, but they don't do they. Just ip word games. In which of these scenarios does the engine turn over. One might think perhaps the second one, but by ip standards it could be neither or both. The bidders opinion could be swayed by clever phrases or omissions. Of course it could not be started without a fuel tank any thoughts good or bad beyond that would be based upon conjecture. I think that most people would not read into the situation that the engine was damaged because of a missing fuel tank, the same thought path should apply to a missing starter. And so it goes.
both of your examples raise major red flags for me. If someone is picking parts off it, that's because it's dead beyond any easy fix.....

anything not seen to run and drive is assumed to have coolant in the oil, holes in the block, cracks in the heads, spun bearings, and a ruined transmission and transfer....

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I dont think it's sinking in for you....ANY and I mean ANY missing parts on a NON-RUNNING truck should raise your
suspicions about the truck being used for cannibalizing for other unit trucks.
I watched it happen for 20yrs...it's SOP. We did it with trucks and even more with our old UH-1H helo's.
It doesent take a deceptive advertising campaign to sway me in either direction on my decision to bid...if the truck says it runs and starts and I show up and it has to be jumped, I don't really care...as long as once it's started it runs well.
if the trans was slipping, the engine had water in it? GP would have taken care of you...period.
heck....they even go as far as to give you a full Oil and trans fluid analysis report!
that was only done in the Military to determine engine and trans health.

im not going to keep beating this topic to death, your expectations were not met...I understand, but it won't change the outcome. Move on, suck it up...and learn from it. I don't know how many mil trucks you have, or have had....but if you do this as long as I've done it.....it's just part of the adventure.

6x6guy

Always inspect and ask questions- I was looking at a M35a2 once at Great Lakes - a real good looking truck- new tires and fresh paint job and low mileage with a hard top - a perfect truck - but something under the truck caught my eye- a small container
that looked out of place. So I decided to take a peek - opened the hood / all looked good no leaks to be found, so at that point I got down on all fours and checked just above the where the container was located something hidden in the shadows
or the lack of it - a gaping hole - where a engine part shot through the engine block. Well I started talking to one of the GL personnel and they had no knowledge of the truck - but also said it was towed in about 2 months ago for auction and unaware of the problem with the engine. So the lessen to be learned - always check what you buy- even if it cost you to have it checked out for you / because you can't. Because the listing of the truck stated it ran when bought in.

tage

See even though it's SOP, that's not common knowledge to civies that have no idea what the **** they are bidding on. Let alone over paying for. I have a feeling this will continue until they open their lots for in person inspections.
People need to stop bidding on those trucks until they can do serious PPI's especially with the amount of money people are paying. However, they do have the monopoly on them, to which GL should have some right to the rolling stock with the current antitrust laws that are on the books.

Either way, the OP is boned. Expensive lesson to learn, but some people get good deals. Others do not.

goldneagle

Always inspect and ask questions- I was looking at a M35a2 once at Great Lakes - a real good looking truck- new tires and fresh paint job and low mileage with a hard top - a perfect truck - but something under the truck caught my eye- a small container
that looked out of place. So I decided to take a peek - opened the hood / all looked good no leaks to be found, so at that point I got down on all fours and checked just above the where the container was located something hidden in the shadows
or the lack of it - a gaping hole - where a engine part shot through the engine block. Well I started talking to one of the GL personnel and they had no knowledge of the truck - but also said it was towed in about 2 months ago for auction and unaware of the problem with the engine. So the lessen to be learned - always check what you buy- even if it cost you to have it checked out for you / because you can't. Because the listing of the truck stated it ran when bought in.
If the listing stated it ran when brought in and it had a blown engine that is an inaccurate description and a refund would be warranted. (especially since they placed a container under the truck to catch the fluid leaking from the hole in the engine)

How many members drive 10 hour round trip just to inspect truck going to auction?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
See even though it's SOP, that's not common knowledge to civies that have no idea what the **** they are bidding on. Let alone over paying for. I have a feeling this will continue until they open their lots for in person inspections.
People need to stop bidding on those trucks until they can do serious PPI's especially with the amount of money people are paying. However, they do have the monopoly on them, to which GL should have some right to the rolling stock with the current antitrust laws that are on the books.

Either way, the OP is boned. Expensive lesson to learn, but some people get good deals. Others do not.
If you don't know what your doing...don't bid and buy. GP Does not have a monopoly, all you Newbs are in the game due to GP winning...key word here, "winning" the rolling stock contract from DLA and getting HMMWV's up for sale.
Prior to GP, GL had the contract for as long as I've been in the business....I will say it again, if you think GP is bad, you clearly have never bought rolling stock form GL. If anyone had a monopoly, it was GL.
As far as inspections are concerned....I have gone to several GP sites and I am able to inspect with no issues....you just have to call customer service and get the site supervisors contact info.
Yes...I can't drive 10hrs to do inspections...so yes, I as well as you would rely on pictures and info provided to make a somewhat informed decision...but when does common sense have to take over?
far to many people get caught up in the bidding frenzy..it happens on GP just like on eBay when your bidding on an item.

I will say to the OP....he has yet to post any pics or even remotely what he paid for this truck, not that it's my business.
But for the sake of this argument, it would tell me several things.

as anyone knows, all the GP listings are quite vanilla...it's the same description, where the details are is in the inspections report..I would ask the OP to post the auction ID so the report could be viewed, as well as the AOSS...if there even was one done...which I guarantee was not done as the truck did not run.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bid confidently only on what you see. Bidding on what you infer, but don't actually see, is a gamble.

Don't gamble unless you can afford to lose.

Don't bid based on what someone else is bidding.

I've watched two uninformed newbies bid against each other and run a $7000 truck up to $19k.

Part of "winning" an auction is letting someone else buy it when it goes too high....

The truck in this thread was advertised as not running. The OP inferred reasons for it not running, but those were just inferences...he bid, relying on his inferences as if they were facts. Then he went and picked up the truck and it matched the advertising - it did in fact not run, as stated. His inferences were shown to be just so much wishful thinking.... and now he's mad that topics that were not mentioned either way in the auction ad aren't as he conjectured them to be.

Lack of knowledge and experience bit him. He gave enough information in this thread that several of us had enough info to have predicted the outcome. I presume there's even more info in the auction ad that he missed that someone with experience and knowledge would catch.

Bottom line - anything not seen to run, should be assumed incapable of running without major work. Bid it like it's a parts truck. Bid more if you like, but do so knowing it's blatant gambling. (I frequently bid 'dead' trucks higher than parts prices if I think I see an easy fix, but I'm prepared to be wrong...)

KansasBobcat

Those of us that go back to the "Property Disposal" and DRMO days know that some times you win and sometimes you lose. The GP inspections are great compared to the old days, I think. Then if you did not know someone from the unit that turned the truck over to PDO,etc. you were flying blind unless you did an inspection. Most of us have been disappointed with purchases but life goes on. I hope he can fix it or part it out and come out. Hopefully, new guys can learn something from this thread. Everything Retired warhorses has posted I agree with.

gottaluvit

You know, I was just doing some heavy thinking on this subject of monopoly of military rolling stock and came to the conclusion that the reason it is this way (legally) is most likely because WE set the price. They don't. Other than that, I would think it would be illegal. Only reason this thread caught my eye is because I am now considering getting a humvee and want to do a LOT of research before dropping that many benjis on a "toy". My other trucks are tools.

tage

You know, I was just doing some heavy thinking on this subject of monopoly of military rolling stock and came to the conclusion that the reason it is this way (legally) is most likely because WE set the price. They don't. Other than that, I would think it would be illegal. Only reason this thread caught my eye is because I am now considering getting a humvee and want to do a LOT of research before dropping that many benjis on a "toy". My other trucks are tools.
I think you would be happier with a unimog, over a hmmwv. A lot more practical, but less "tactic-cool".

springbok

IP actually works at it to get one of these running, not like GL who would stop at trying to jump start it. IMHO if they say could not be started, bid with the knowledge that you will be replacing the engine..

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am shocked. Someone bought a non-running truck from an auction site and got what they paid for, a non-running truck. Will wonders never cease.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks