• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV 8 bolt Rims

BlueRoadster

The -10 says that an 8 bolt rim is for bias ply tires only. Can radials be safely used on these rims? I am not sure the reasoning behind only one type tire being able to be used for these rims.

Thanks for your help.
Grant

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You do not want to use them. They lose the bead on the tires easily. A trailer, maybe, but on a truck its a no no.

Special T

I would think it depends on the use as well. The 8 bolt were for bias lighter weight carrying capacity tires. So the only inherent difference is how strong the mounting flange is. I know plenty of guys that use them for wheeling on lighter rigs like Toyota and such. With the addition of a rock ring they stiffen up some more. If you have a choice between the 2 buy the newer style. If you already own the 8 bolt then buy a couple of spares in the 12 bolt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Action

I believe the angle of the lip may be different. Just do what the TM says and don't use radials on bias rims. You can buy the 12-bolt radial rims for like $50 each.

Special T

There is no difference between The curve of the lip. Here is a 12 bolt and a standard drop center from the 70s when 16.5 bias tires were the norm. I was going g to post up a side by side of 8 vs 12 but I don't have any unmounted.

It's about application and weight rating. Same reason why they also offer a 24 bolt.

Special T

The one on the left is a vintage 16.5 8 hole wheel the one on the right is a 12 bolt hummer wheel.

All tires/ wheels with a .5 means it's a tapered bead instead of a flat bead. The tapered bead handles and distributed weight better and facilitate tubeless mounting demount ingredients easier. All newer commercial tires have a tapered bead. 16.5 17.5 19.5 22.5 24.5 are sizes in use the tapered seat in 16.5 came into being in the late 60s early 70s when the camper craze started. Short wider tires with a tapered bead handled more weight and the rim size was born. 16.5 trailer tires are not as common as they once where but are in constant use on bobcat skidsteers and 4wd backhoe front tires.
The 8 hole hummer wheels fail because they don't have the clamping or sheer strength a 12 or 24bold does. You will also. Notice the slightly different design of the bolting flange. On 12 &24 bolt the bolt holes for the wheel are one complete disk Maki g it more ridged. The 8 hole flange doesn't have the bolt pattern attached and has. Different o ring setup. The kind of wheel changed as the Hummers were up armored and or had increased load demands. People that wheel hard on the 8 hole some time.break a wheel bolt. Nothing blows up but they then leak down loosing air pressure... which is why lots of people used rock tings to stiffen up the flange and protect the studs from rocks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks