• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Alignment Question - well maybe.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another question for the experienced folks here. As I mentioned on my other thread, I recently installed a set of skid pads from Jeremy Johnson. He certainly does great work.

I mentioned that when I turn the steering wheel all the way to the right stop, the right outside of the right tire rubs. What is strange is the same tire does not rub at all on the left side at all when the wheel is turned the other way. Neither tire does not rub on either side when the steering wheel is all the way on the left stop. The left tire does not rub in either position.

Looking at it carefully, it appears to me that the left tire sits further forward in the wheel well than the right tire, which seems to be further towards the back.

Before I go an cut the pretty powder coating on Jeremy's skid plates, could this be an alignment issue? I am no alignment expert, but I don't see any eccentrics on the lower or upper control arms, but what do I know!

If it is an alignment issue, my next issue is finding someone that would be willing to align it. Can someone please point me to the alignment specifications for an M998 so I can bring them with me if I do find someone.

Thank you for you wisdom (y)

EDIT: I googled the alignment specs: http://www.hummerknowledgebase.com/susp/specs.html

HUNTER HUMMER ALIGNMENT SPECS
1992-1995 All Models (Unloaded)
2000 Models, see below

LEFT
FRONT
RIGHT
FRONT
LEFT
REAR
RIGHT
REAR
CAMBER0.8 -> 1.3 deg.0.8 -> 1.3 deg.0.8 -> 1.3 deg.0.8 -> 1.3 deg.
CASTER0.8 -> 2.8 deg.0.8 -> 2.8 deg.n/an/a
TOE0.0 -> .03 in.0.0 -> .03 in.0.0 -> .03 in.0.0 -> .03 in.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your tires are wearing properly I would not align anything. It’s an all day ordeal to adjust the alignment shims at all 4 corners.

springer1981

I don't believe you can move the lower control arms forward and back. The upper mounts can take shims but that shouldn't move it forward or back. If the wheel is offset forward or back from side to side then I would inspect everything in the front suspension looking for why. You could have a bad lower control arm bushing, ball joint, tie rod, idler etc. Front to back would likely be bushing related however it could also be the crossmember being loose or something else. Maybe the side that doesn't hit doesn't turn as much due to ball joints or idler etc. Also there are Turn Stops on the hubs... see if they are hitting equally or not at all etc.

Do some measurements from common points on both side and compare them. Like from the same point on the frame to the same point on the lower control arm, if one is longer then ask why and look for the answer.

I don't think an alignment is going to solve your problem and I wouldn't cut anything up to work around the problem. I would try to find what the actual problem is and fix it, then maybe an alignment.

Here's an example of what I mean.... Measure both sides and see if there are significant differences. Frame point to lower control arm. Also hub center to center on both side and compare.

measure.jpg

Last edited:

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the tips!

I went to my normal tire shop and they gave me the name of another shop that aligns HMMWV all the time. They were nice and took me right in. The closely examine the suspension and found the right side, the one that rubs, needs new bushings on the lower and upper control arms, and the hub bearings were bad. So I ordered the bushings and the kit with all the bearings for the hub and seals and I will take it back to them when those arrive.

I'll let them do it since I don't have a press.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't believe you can move the lower control arms forward and back. The upper mounts can take shims but that shouldn't move it forward or back. If the wheel is offset forward or back from side to side then I would inspect everything in the front suspension looking for why. You could have a bad lower control arm bushing, ball joint, tie rod, idler etc. Front to back would likely be bushing related however it could also be the crossmember being loose or something else. Maybe the side that doesn't hit doesn't turn as much due to ball joints or idler etc. Also there are Turn Stops on the hubs... see if they are hitting equally or not at all etc.
You are indeed correct, the mechanics that took care of it for me said the very same thing.

Thanks for all the tips!

I went to my normal tire shop and they gave me the name of another shop that aligns HMMWV all the time. They were nice and took me right in. The closely examine the suspension and found the right side, the one that rubs, needs new bushings on the lower and upper control arms, and the hub bearings were bad. So I ordered the bushings and the kit with all the bearings for the hub and seals and I will take it back to them when those arrive.

I'll let them do it since I don't have a press.
I was extremely lucky to find a shop that would align it for me just up the road near me!

They found that the four bushings on the right wheel were shot, and the bearings in the right hub were also shot. They made me obtain the parts and I got the bearing rebuild kit for a hub and four bushings for about $300. Labor was $1300 including the alignment. Two mechanics worked on it all day on it and they told me it was not easy. First repair I had to farm out.

It still rubs as they told me to expect. But it drives totally straight now and stopped being squirrelly. So it definitely needed it.

They used a tape measure and showed me that the right front wheel has half the clearance over the other wheel. They said that it has something going on with the body sits and not the frame. No sign of any accident damage, or bent stuff. Said it it is now aligned perfectly.

So I'll take off the skid plate and look at cutting it so it does not interfere unless someone has a better idea.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks