• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV alternator on Deuce voltage too high?

Blythewoodjoe

Well I checked my voltage on my dual voltage alternator (or is it generator?) and the high side is 29 volts and the low is 14.5. I think I am about to blow up my batteries. The volt meter on the inside of the truck is at the edge of the red.

What you guys thing? Do I need a new regulator or is there an adjustment on these things? I need to get this fixed before next weekend to drive to the Georgia gathering.

Thanks,
Joe Trapp

PS. Where would I get a HMMWV regulator any way?

Blythewoodjoe

TM 9-2320-280-34 states for no load test(follow my copy and paste):

Amps-28 VDC-14VDC as follows below:

81-100 21-25 10.5-12.5
Test bench battery is discharged (or defective).
Allow to charge (or replace).

81-100 26-30 13-15
Give time to stabilize while monitoring VOLTS.
If VOLTS rise above normal range (26-30 volts),
regulator and/or tube assembly must be replaced.
If AMPS fall, charging system is OK.

81-100 31-35 15.5-17.5
STOP TEST. Regulator and/or tube assembly must
be replaced. Refer to static testing, task c.

40-59 21-25 10.5-12.5
Alternator and/or regulator must be repaired or
replaced. Refer to table 6-A.6.

40-59 26-30 13-15
Regulator OK. Refer to table 6-A.4.

40-59 31-35 15.5-17.5
STOP TEST. Test bench malfunction or wiring error.

Does this mean the opperating rang with no load is 26 to 30 volts? That would mean my 29 volts is OK but it looks like I am over charging my batteries to me.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
if normal charging is 14.4 volts per each battery that is 28.8 volts accross both, does not sound like a real problem. what is the voltage with load like lights on?? sounds like you are ok. i would like to see close picture of alt and wiring

acetomatoco

Exactly the reason for my message of above... turn the lights on.. If the batteries are low the gen is trying its hardest to get em up. and the voltages will be at the extreme..the HL on will rob some amperage and if the gen is at max, the voltage will drop indicating, to me at least, that all is well...my new advice line is run it...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it's nice to talk about it too, sometimes the answer may be in an obscure paragraph and for those of us who can't remember squat(?), reading the manuals over and over could get very time consuming.

Blythewoodjoe

Here's the thread with pictures of the alternator

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=102135&highlight=#102135

If I understand the TM it should have between 26 and 30 volts which is what I have at 29 volts. It still worries me because the meter in the cab is in the edge of the red zone and when I drove it a few weeks back for the first real road trip it blew a head light. Maybe just a coincidence or maybe the voltage is too high. Is it a difference in the HMMWV and deuce that would be a problem? It would seem like 24 volts is 24 volts regardless of the vehicle. What will happen to the batteries if they become over charged? Will they explode or will it boil the water out of them?

I'm the paranoid one in the group.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks