• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Batteries

ArizonaGasMonkey

This may be asked over and over.

In AZ the only option I can get is an Interstate battery for my HMMWV. They are $200.00 each

Is there anything else that works that fits nicely?

Thanks

Aaron

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Any high cranking amp 12 volt battery.That will fit.Find 2 that will fit.You might have to fab some tie downs.I just replaced mine in my m998 for $80 each.

TonkaT

Unless you're running a ton of electronics without the engine running, any two good quality starting batteries will work. Ensure they are no greater in dimension than the originals. Especially the height; you don't want the bottom of the seat or seat studs to contact the batteries.

TonkaT

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like group 24 batteries, they fit within the space envelope of the 6TL battery, so they can usually be made to fit where a military battery goes.

Csm Davis

Optima actually makes a adapter to fit them in place of the 6tl, you should be able to get 6tl size batteries though any large auto parts place I know that you can get them from NAPA, Carquest, O'Reilly's and battery world.

Optima actually makes a adapter to fit them in place of the 6tl, you should be able to get 6tl size batteries though any large auto parts place I know that you can get them from NAPA, Carquest, O'Reilly's and battery world.
Optima no longer makes the 6TL adapters and has not for quite some time. If you can even find them, they generally go for far more than they did when they were new. I paid $100 for the pair a few months back. I have seen a few sets pop up on ebay for similar money.

Last edited:

joesco

Go with Interstate and buy blems for 50 cents on the dollar. Any Interstate store or dealer has them and they come with a warranty!

papakb

I've run Interstate batteries in my HMMWV for the last 18 years but their 6TLs have a piss poor waranty. Because this is a battery made for the military it only has a 1 year warranty. I found that out the hard way after losing 1 at 14 months. No prorating, no exchange, just cough up enough for a new battery. Their civilian batteries are among the best though.

Most people don't know that there are only 3 U.S. manufactures of batteries any more. Johnson Controls, Exide, and Delphi. I don't know who makes the Interstate batteries.