• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Blue Force Tracker Setup

Wile E. Coyote

2023-Display-Working.png

Got Windows 10 loaded on the SSD. Ethernet works fine (did all the updates) - USB works fine - and for giggles I set the disappearing taskbar, set the desktop icons to off - and am using an old screengrab I had of an FBCB2 in operation as a desktop :)

Display resolution seems fixed at 800x600 (ike a lot of touchscreens) but I swear I read somewhere that the DU could go to 1024x768 so maybe there's a specific driver I need to find somewhere. Anyway - really happy with it so far.

badgerd

Electronic Jedi
View attachment 913527

Got Windows 10 loaded on the SSD. Ethernet works fine (did all the updates) - USB works fine - and for giggles I set the disappearing taskbar, set the desktop icons to off - and am using an old screengrab I had of an FBCB2 in operation as a desktop :)

Display resolution seems fixed at 800x600 (ike a lot of touchscreens) but I swear I read somewhere that the DU could go to 1024x768 so maybe there's a specific driver I need to find somewhere. Anyway - really happy with it so far.
Does the touch work? I’m struggling with that still…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wile E. Coyote

Does the touch work? I’m struggling with that still…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. I haven't looked into it too seriously yet. Based on what everyone else said I was thinking of installing XP to see if it would come up with working drivers and may still try that on another drive. I'll play with puTTY a bit too.

Next thing I want to try is to see if it recognizes the output from the DAGR via the SIAD break-out connector on a serial port. I can take the NMEA 0183 output from DAGR via the SIAD and feed it into whatever moving-map solution I wind up going with (now that Windows Maps has decided to discontinue offline map support as of the end of the month.)

Audio is another deal. You can grab audio via USB but there's a perfectly good audio port just sitting there. Supposedly the JV5 was spec'd to have an internal speaker being driven by the left audio channel but I see no evidence there ever was one fitted. As a result the output connector only has Right audio output - at least according to the pinout. USB appears to provide both Left and Right.

Wile E. Coyote

Okay, so - a few weird things with the serial ports. Win 10 doubled up on the same names (i.e. two COM 1 ports, two COM 2 ports) in Device Manager even though they all got different IRQs. So, I went in and renamed them COM 1 through COM 7 in order.

In the literature, 'COM A' is supposed to be the touchscreen serial data stream which is supposed to map internally to COM 1 by default. PuTTY would not let me open any serial port which meant a trip to the overly-intrusive settings in Windows Security to turn off a bunch of stuff likely interfering. When I came back to PuTTY I could open COM 1, and do indeed get a data stream when I touch the screen in different places. So all that works.

Device Manager is a bit of a train wreck. Win 10 did not find drivers for what it decided was 5 ethernet controllers and the Multimedia Audio Controller. Under Human Interface Devices it recognizes 3 USB Input Devices all with drivers loaded. I would have expected to see a Touchscreen listed there with a missing/ unloaded driver...so Windows either doesn't recognize there is one - or enumerated it as one of the USB Input Devices and loaded a generic USB driver by default.

I'll have a go at installing the drivers back down the thread a-ways and see what happens there.

wildbill88

Okay, so - a few weird things with the serial ports. Win 10 doubled up on the same names (i.e. two COM 1 ports, two COM 2 ports) in Device Manager even though they all got different IRQs. So, I went in and renamed them COM 1 through COM 7 in order.

In the literature, 'COM A' is supposed to be the touchscreen serial data stream which is supposed to map internally to COM 1 by default. PuTTY would not let me open any serial port which meant a trip to the overly-intrusive settings in Windows Security to turn off a bunch of stuff likely interfering. When I came back to PuTTY I could open COM 1, and do indeed get a data stream when I touch the screen in different places. So all that works.

Device Manager is a bit of a train wreck. Win 10 did not find drivers for what it decided was 5 ethernet controllers and the Multimedia Audio Controller. Under Human Interface Devices it recognizes 3 USB Input Devices all with drivers loaded. I would have expected to see a Touchscreen listed there with a missing/ unloaded driver...so Windows either doesn't recognize there is one - or enumerated it as one of the USB Input Devices and loaded a generic USB driver by default.

I'll have a go at installing the drivers back down the thread a-ways and see what happens there.
I’ve been fiddling with this for years

step one get virtual machine
Step two download windows ce onto vm
step three download winshark comparable w bergquist pn 400213
Step four run digital comport to com 1 on physical machine
Step five calibrate screen on vm with output to windows and hope for agreeable outcome
Step six run over box stop wasting your time you’ll never get this to work you need to run a Linux os…

Wile E. Coyote

I’ve been fiddling with this for years

step one get virtual machine
Step two download windows ce onto vm
step three download winshark comparable w bergquist pn 400213
Step four run digital comport to com 1 on physical machine
Step five calibrate screen on vm with output to windows and hope for agreeable outcome
Step six run over box stop wasting your time you’ll never get this to work you need to run a Linux os…
Lol yeah...ha. I've used Unix flavors back to the HP-UX days so if someone can get the touchscreen drivers to behave under some flavor of Linux -- I'll be all over it. Maybe I'll set up some dual-boot arrangement with Win 10. Messing with VM stuff is not something I'll be into while I still have fingernails to pull out one-by-one.

Wile E. Coyote

For people playing along at home...I used every trick in the black bag to get Win XP on it but got nothing but BSOD, which is really strange because I can put XP on anything and everything else the same way. Didn't investigate further. I'll wait until the Bottle-of-Scotch network comes up with the BIOS password so I can change the boot order to try USB first and have another go. It came across like XP installs were rejected on purpose.

Loaded Win 7. Pretty much exactly the same experience as with Win 10 with the exception that Win 7 Device Manager enumerates something that Win 10 didn't - namely in the 'Other Devices' category where Win 10 found nothing but Ethernet stacks - Win 7 found "DRS SMMC HSL processor" and couldn't find a driver for it. Searching around every dark corner on the web I couldn't find one either - but I'd hazard a guess that 'SMMC' probably means 'System Maintenance Management Controller' or something similar. Win 7 also loaded no audio/ multimedia controller drivers which comes across a bit...unlikely. At first I thought the FBCB2 system may have been set up to process audio externally full-stop - through a VIC-3 maybe - but if that were the case then Device Manager wouldn't have enumerated a device it couldn't find drivers for.

Hooked everything back up in the vehicle which also has wired in the SIAD interface which in turn is hooked up to a DAGR and an AM-7239E / SINCGARS installation with RT-1523A. After some playing, PuTTY will indeed start reading NMEA 0183 sentences from the DAGR via DAGR's J2 port, COM1/ COM2 - through to Fuzzy Bunny's COM 2 at 9600. You have to configure DAGR to output NMEA sentences manually (and pick which sentences) but through SIAD/ Serial interfaces - it makes it all the way to the PU and OS. When I get a minute I'll try a GPS TOD into the SINCGARS.

Because I have the adapter that hooks up to J5 on the PU - I was also able to use a USB wireless dongle to hook up to the wireless in the compound here. No great speed demon but it works without additional headache less the driver install from the mfg.

Based on a previous post I'm now wondering if touchscreen drivers only work in X-Windows as looped through the Redhat 2 environment - which would likely mean there *are* no drivers for a pure x86 environment? I've only really played with Linux in the past as all my day-job stuff is MS - but the military's use of X-Windows in a UNIX environment for example isn't new (IMETS and others) so maybe old habits die hard.

wildbill88

For people playing along at home...I used every trick in the black bag to get Win XP on it but got nothing but BSOD, which is really strange because I can put XP on anything and everything else the same way. Didn't investigate further. I'll wait until the Bottle-of-Scotch network comes up with the BIOS password so I can change the boot order to try USB first and have another go. It came across like XP installs were rejected on purpose.

Loaded Win 7. Pretty much exactly the same experience as with Win 10 with the exception that Win 7 Device Manager enumerates something that Win 10 didn't - namely in the 'Other Devices' category where Win 10 found nothing but Ethernet stacks - Win 7 found "DRS SMMC HSL processor" and couldn't find a driver for it. Searching around every dark corner on the web I couldn't find one either - but I'd hazard a guess that 'SMMC' probably means 'System Maintenance Management Controller' or something similar. Win 7 also loaded no audio/ multimedia controller drivers which comes across a bit...unlikely. At first I thought the FBCB2 system may have been set up to process audio externally full-stop - through a VIC-3 maybe - but if that were the case then Device Manager wouldn't have enumerated a device it couldn't find drivers for.

Hooked everything back up in the vehicle which also has wired in the SIAD interface which in turn is hooked up to a DAGR and an AM-7239E / SINCGARS installation with RT-1523A. After some playing, PuTTY will indeed start reading NMEA 0183 sentences from the DAGR via DAGR's J2 port, COM1/ COM2 - through to Fuzzy Bunny's COM 2 at 9600. You have to configure DAGR to output NMEA sentences manually (and pick which sentences) but through SIAD/ Serial interfaces - it makes it all the way to the PU and OS. When I get a minute I'll try a GPS TOD into the SINCGARS.

Because I have the adapter that hooks up to J5 on the PU - I was also able to use a USB wireless dongle to hook up to the wireless in the compound here. No great speed demon but it works without additional headache less the driver install from the mfg.

Based on a previous post I'm now wondering if touchscreen drivers only work in X-Windows as looped through the Redhat 2 environment - which would likely mean there *are* no drivers for a pure x86 environment? I've only really played with Linux in the past as all my day-job stuff is MS - but the military's use of X-Windows in a UNIX environment for example isn't new (IMETS and others) so maybe old habits die hard.
I’ll get your windows running if you get me gps data windows / google maps plug in with dagr and then we can work on touch screen I know I can work it I just don’t care too as there is no ROI after I spend hours working on this junk

agazza2

Following

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks