• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Bumper Number Help

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An acquaintance of mine has acquired a new to him HMMWV. He decided he wanted a HMMWV instead of his M37, which was fine with me because I acquired his M37.

He asked me about his bumper numbers on his HMMWV, because I so easily read the numbers on the M37 bumpers.

Unfortunately, I have no clue how to read the new numbering system (I'm a '68 to '71 ARMY guy which was long before the HMMWV era).

I'm hoping to be able to offer him some information by depending on the kindness of others. If any one knows or even has a clue to what the bumper markings mean, I would very much appreciate if you would share your knowledge.

Pictures are Left Rear (1 & 2) and Right Rear (3 & 4)

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

Bumper Number # 2.jpgBumper Number # 1.jpgBumper Number # 3.jpgBumper Number # 4.jpg

riderdan

If this was an Army truck, the number on the left is the owning unit and the number on the right is a unit-specific marking.

The marking on the left means possibly this truck is from the 36th Infantry Division (a Texas NG unit) though looking through their TO&E I don't see a sub-unit that's 1/108. However, the way the Army is switching to their new "modular brigade" organization, that doesn't really mean anything... it could be that 1/108 <whatever> now "belongs" to some other division.

The marking on the right means that within the unit, this truck was designated C-8. The unit-specific markings are pretty free-form, so this could be Charlie Company's truck number eight, or it could be almost anything.

Last edited:

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the help! This will be much appreciated.

I was at a total loss when looking at these markings.

Thanks again for your help!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks