• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV glow plugs

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ohh just cause.. I took out the meter and checked the resistance on the glow plugs I removed.

One of the two it at .5 Ohm, the other is at 2 milliohm. I'm just shocked the one reads .5.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Anything special on the lines, I don't have any spare parts at this point, but I'm not against buying some bulk lines from O'Reilly or NAPA and replacing them. As for clamps, all of the ones I've looked at (up to this point) do have the correct clamps on them. :)

Ya, I bought the new box, because I did some basic testing (according to the TM) and the wiring all checked out, but yet there doesn't seem to be any power to the glow plugs and the wait-to-start light no longer comes on. (It didn't when I bought the rig, then started to work for a week or so, and hasn't worked since.). The KDS box in there, when it DID work, did exactly what I expected. It stayed on for about 10 seconds turned off and I was able to start the HMMWV.
Always good to have a meter and use it. Glow plugs and injectors are pretty much straight forward, in and out. Going to be some comments on injectors reuse of copper crush washers and return lines. Return lines are a bitchy PITA to deal with. Those simple little clamps and the hose are a much bigger problem. There is a hose that has a tigher fit with a weave on the outside using no clamps. I have use it with no problem...but carry a couple of feet in the "on board tool box".

Might be available at he local parts house. Doorman has the clamps, But I didn't like the quality...cheeseeieeum. Hose need to be "Viton" fuel rated IMO.

Here's a kit (reference only) > https://www.accuratediesel.com/shop...otBKT6O_iVJDww9DR1g8VggyXYUCmBHRoCMKwQAvD_BwE

Good to get at it now... cuz weather is a cooling down and U need that glow action.

Good idea to round up all the bits, CAMO

Action

Anything special on the lines, I don't have any spare parts at this point, but I'm not against buying some bulk lines from O'Reilly or NAPA and replacing them. As for clamps, all of the ones I've looked at (up to this point) do have the correct clamps on them. :)

Ya, I bought the new box, because I did some basic testing (according to the TM) and the wiring all checked out, but yet there doesn't seem to be any power to the glow plugs and the wait-to-start light no longer comes on. (It didn't when I bought the rig, then started to work for a week or so, and hasn't worked since.). The KDS box in there, when it DID work, did exactly what I expected. It stayed on for about 10 seconds turned off and I was able to start the HMMWV.
i dont recall the wait light and the plugs being on the same circuit. Meaning, the light can go out and the plugs stay on.
as for the return lines... i tried those “no clamp” hoses once. They seemed to work great. A couple years later, i was working on something and hit one. It crumbled. They were all brittle. I put on GM. No issues. Try to be careful with those tiny clamps. They were not cheap back then.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Success!

7/8 plugs needed a puller. All of the plugs were missing chunks, but nothing shiny to indicate any broke in the engine. So rolling the dice and not pulling injectors at this time.

new TMS and new EESS installed. Wait light works! Stayed on for 10 seconds, it turned off, hit the start and 1-2 seconds later it started! And it’s only 45F out! I’m happy, seems to be “fixed”.

below is a picture of the glow plugs from the passenger side of the engine.

168858D3-D47E-4A4A-B0E0-E9DDA42BAE80.jpeg
Love the broken bullet end, and the only one not to require a puller is next to it (right). End of the glow plug is gone, but it hadn’t swelled.

Last edited:

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Figured I'd follow up on this. After needing to pull my heads, at least two of the pistons showed very minor damage from metal going through the engine.. (no ring or wall damage)

So reminder, check your glow plugs and swap them BEFORE they start to fragment! And remember to avoid the Chinese counterfits!

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I fell your frustration as.many if us have been there. Did you put a camera down the injector hole to see the pistons? Just why are you pulling the heads? If small fragments went into the cylinder and out the exhaust valve with minimal damage I would just install new glow plugs and fire her up. I absolutely hate the design of these things. Cummins uses a heater grate in the intake and it removes all this nonsense. If a tip breaks off the glow plug the military just replaces the plugs. The pre cups should stop most of it. As I say it's a terrible system.

Mark

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I fell your frustration as.many if us have been there. Did you put a camera down the injector hole to see the pistons? Just why are you pulling the heads? If small fragments went into the cylinder and out the exhaust valve with minimal damage I would just install new glow plugs and fire her up. I absolutely hate the design of these things. Cummins uses a heater grate in the intake and it removes all this nonsense. If a tip breaks off the glow plug the military just replaces the plugs. The pre cups should stop most of it. As I say it's a terrible system.

Mark
(reminder this is an older thread from 2021, but...) at the time I used an inspection mirror to look and I found no metal bits that i could see... but advice was if you were concerned to pull the injectors, which I wasn't willing to do at the time. Also the glow plugs showed no signs of recent metal breaking off (i.e. shiny or 'raw' metal look).

So it was pretty clear to me that the tips had broken off the counterfit glow plugs for some time, and after the heads came off (for an unrelated issue) there were minor marks on a couple of pistons to show metal had gone through the engine, but otherwise caused no damage. (The shop pointed out the piston damage, after showing them the glow plugs from this round and discussing it with them we didn't go any further into the engine. They had been worried about other parts getting in or possibly parts of the rings being broken, but they weren't.)

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tips breaking off is common place with these plugs. Use only the military stock glow plugs and use copper never seize on the treads. It is what it is with these detroits .

Mark

kurtvk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulled all 8 plugs on mine, 7 of them stuck and needed extraction tool. 1 was very difficult, housing got pulled off glow plug and heater element was stuck in the block threads. Got it out with vise grips, wd40, and waggling around a million times. Finally replaced shorted mosfets in box under dash. Hopefully putting it together before the weekend, as it started snowing yesterday!! Will test without glow plugs hooked up first…… will use big 2.5 ohm resistor and test lamp and fluke to one of the glow plug leads.

Attachments

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Lose the mosfets KurtVK

kurtvk

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Lose the mosfets KurtVK
manual box? separate relay for the glow plugs with push button?....i see.

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be sure to test the system on the first start after replacing the plugs. I ran mine for one minute not knowing I had a stuck relay in the box and fried the brand new glow plugs. Don't let that happen to you.

Mark

kurtvk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be sure to test the system on the first start after replacing the plugs. I ran mine for one minute not knowing I had a stuck relay in the box and fried the brand new glow plugs. Don't let that happen to you.

Mark
I will test whether the glow plugs turn OFF after max 10s. Will have volt meter and lamp connected (Without Glow plugs connected)

Reactions: cwc

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
manual box? separate relay for the glow plugs with push button?....i see.
Manual box works well. Never press the button over 5 seconds at a time or you’ll be replacing more plugs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks