• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv head question

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
???

OEM heads are AMG /Detroit Diesel.

N/a heads differ slightly from turbo heads. Turbo heads will not accept n/a manifold. The head bolts attaching the intake manifold to the head come in at different angle. You can identify with long bolts. Just place bolts in the intake manifold holes in the heads and if the angle matches then you have n/a heads.

I would not swap heads. I would swap engines.

IMHO

Last edited:

Tato

???

OEM heads are AMG /Detroit Diesel.

n/a heads differ slightly from turbo heads. Turbo heads will not accept n/a manifold.

I would not swap heads. I would swap engines.

IMHO
I found the complete engine but the heads are branded GF

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like I said, check the intake manifold bolt hole angles. If the engine already has an n/a manifold then who cares about the GF?

Are you suspecting Chinese knock off heads? If so, buy another block. If the heads are original, then who cares about the stamp?

Tato

unfortunately I only have photos and a video but I think they are Chinese heads
Like I said, check the intake manifold bolt hole angles. If the engine already has an n/a manifold then who cares about the GF?

Are you suspecting Chinese knock off heads? If so, buy another block. If the heads are original, then who cares about the stamp?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GEP would have never used old GM heads at manufacture. So unless the engine you are looking at has been rebuilt by someone, it should have GEP sourced heads.

Tato

[
QUOTE="NDT, post: 2485513, member: 7671"]
GEP would have never used old GM heads at manufacture. So unless the engine you are looking at has been rebuilt by
GEP would have never used old GM heads at manufacture. So unless the engine you are looking at has been rebuilt by someone, it should have GEP sourced heads.
My old block was GM with Diamond branded heads

Tato

[
QUOTE="NDT, post: 2485513, member: 7671"]
GEP would have never used old GM heads at manufacture. So unless the engine you are looking at has been rebuilt by

My old block was GM with Diamond branded heads
maybe it's the dalton foundry logo that looks like a CF,does anyone know?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How did you know the cylinder was cracked before you disassembled the engine? Oh and the heads in your pictures look made in USA to me.

Tato

How did you know the cylinder was cracked before you disassembled the engine? Oh and the heads in your pictures look made in USA to me.
the exhaust started to smoke white and the liquid in the pan disappeared, logically water in the oil

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ha my GM 6.5 has been like this for 6 years, I keep refilling the coolant every time the low coolant light comes on, this is in a Chevrolet 3500 truck. Runs perfect but smokes a little white on start up too.

Tato

Ha my GM 6.5 has been like this for 6 years, I keep refilling the coolant every time the low coolant light comes on, this is in a Chevrolet 3500 truck. Runs perfect but smokes a little white on start up too.
it could also be a damaged head gasket, mine drank 2 liters of fluid in 8 miles. however, from the dipstick you can check, if you have milky oil

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Time for a new engine and use this one as a boat anchor. If the engine was rare or valuable you could weld and sleeve it, but in this case it is cheaper to just save the internal parts and heads and get a new engine. IMHO. YMMV.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the madness!
I lived in Rome for a few years as a kid in the 70's. Would love to go visit.

There are some European US surplus dealers and this is a fairly common engine for many years so hopefully you can find one close and reasonable.

Tato

Welcome to the madness!
I lived in Rome for a few years as a kid in the 70's. Would love to go visit.

There are some European US surplus dealers and this is a fairly common engine for many years so hopefully you can find one close and reasonable.
great! I'm from Viterbo, 50 miles from Rome, if you come to these areas let's meet! I found a good GEP but the prices here are very high for spares

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks