• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV headlight issues?

kojo0513

*Received M998 without headlights. Bought LED off a member on here*

After installing headlights (2 prong only, 17 & 91, no 18)( looks kind of like this :

headlight.jpg

Found out that my switch doesnt flip over to "SERV LIGHT " Nor does it switch to "UNLOCK" . Now, I do not have a dimmer by the brake foot.

headlights does not turn on. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

kojo0513

Edit: NVM . I figured out the switch - holding down the "UNLOCK" while flipping it to "SERV LIGHT" . The front side markers turned on but the headlight still didn't turn on. Buying a dimmer switch (by the brake foot) would fix that correct?

From my actual rig:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440710217.351077.jpg

You can see where the dimmer goes. Oh and they cut the freaking wires to it.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think he was referring to the Operators Manual. It is really a must read for all new MV owners. It helps explain what all the switches, dials, indicator lights and bells and whistles are for the trucks. The Operators Manual explains how to use the three-lever light switch. There is more to it that just the headlights.

The other tech manuals are a good starting point for troubleshooting an issue.

Just an FYI for everyone. The site Admin has instituted a new rule that just telling someone to RTM (read the manual) with out some type of explanation on where to find the info will not be allowed. This even applies to the moderators.

Mike82ndABN

Hi there. It's a good idea to get to know the light switch because it does so much more than a civilian light switch, certain positions will prevent the horn and brake lights from normal operation (used in tactical blackout conditions). Obviously this could be a safety issue if you inadvertently had it in the wrong position, you could end up getting rear ended since your brake lights would not operate.

kojo0513

I appreciate the heads up. Still a lot to learn about the controls of the M998. I should stress that I'm still in the very early stages of digging in and updating it.

It's been sitting in a lot for who knows how many years. I do not plan on putting it on the road- it's a GP M998

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one item the TMs does not cover well is how to lock the differentials by "brake throttle modulation" aka power braking.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
*Received M998 without headlights. Bought LED off a member on here*

After installing headlights (2 prong only, 17 & 91, no 18)( looks kind of like this :

View attachment 577971

Found out that my switch doesnt flip over to "SERV LIGHT " Nor does it switch to "UNLOCK" . Now, I do not have a dimmer by the brake foot.

headlights does not turn on. Any ideas?
Thats a light off an Mrap.
Headlights look the same except have 3 wires....91 / ground } 17, and 18 / high and low beam }.

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

September 8th, 2015.

So, Moderators, when the new rules about "Read the Manual" kicked in, who then footed the therapy bill for our esteemed Doghead? I am pretty sure that he may not have yet recovered completely from the rules change, but there is always hope. As Sidney Friedman on M*A*S*H used to say:"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice!" I think old Sidney would be of great service on here if he were still alive.:p
You have to love Doghead, but I will always put the manual and pages in if I have them handy, otherwise I will leave the comment(s) to more learned and wise individuals. Have a Great Evening!

kojo0513

Anyone have clue if I can pick up the wiring for that cut wire to the dimmer? Thinking about picking up a dimmer and then some male connectors and testing it out myself.. Don't want to risk plugging it into the wrong whole though..

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might have a donor harness with that one.
I also have switches.
I'll check Wed.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have about two feet of the original 3 wires with ends and a switch if interested.