• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV headlights don't turn on!

Woodshumvee

Brand new LEDs, switch is new. They were working fine but now I have no headlights. Markers, brake lights, directional a and black out all work. But no head lights. Do these switchs go bad often? Check all the connections and back of lights all good. Help its dark out here.

MtnSnow

If it's one of the push-button light switches they have been shown to be not as reliable as the older 3 lever version

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Did you check for voltage at the leads? Did you make sure they are hooked to the right numbers? I don't think leds like reverse polarity.

Woodshumvee

Cleaned all the grounds and nothing works. It wasn't just head lights it's all lights that don't work. Switch on no power to lights. Black out side works no running or headlights

Woodshumvee

Took the switch apart and found the running/headlight side melted the plastic housing and glazed over the copper contacts that the switch pivots over. So when I turned on my lights, the contacts where sitting on plastic and not connecting. I ground down the plastic with a dermel to expose the copper, soldered over copper to build it back up then filed it down level with the rest. Pu back together and it works great! Will be ordering another one to have on hand.

Wile E. Coyote

Those electronic switches are problematic. There are also some really shoddy late-contract three-lever switches out there with more plastic components than the older types which are also awful, and I've had many melt down. The light switches and turn-indicator levers are a good thing to keep in your box of running spares if you drive your machine regularly both for the purposes of troubleshooting and (inevitable) replacement.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Even with the trusted old 3 lever switches, I keep a spare with me. If it goes out you are dark!

Pretty easy for a tractor trailer to smash into you while your dark!

Wile E. Coyote

Quick way to tell the Good from the Bad (and Ugly) is take one of the screws out holding the levers on. If it's machine-thread, chances are it's the better model; if it looks like a wood screw going into plastic - run away screaming. Very generally the Phillips screws are the 'wood screw' run-away-screaming variety, where the standard/slot type are the better ones, but I think one or two contracts used Phillips-head machine screws too just to keep you on your toes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks