• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Hood Lift gas shock - anyone MADE one?

NormB

Saw a link to one of the off-roading companies that makes a hood-lift with a metal plate and a gas shock and attachment to frame or somewhere sturdy.

$249!!!!!!!

I just bought a pair of gas shocks for my camper shell for $30.

Anyone actually done this? Pictures, part #'s appreciated.

Not that it's "difficult" to raise the hood, but something like this sure would make it easier.

(and, yes, I searched. Several ways, several other search engines and found a LOT of info for M35s but NOTHING for HMMWVs. Boolean links don't

Thanks.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes cheaper is more expensive. 250 clams ain’t bad.

By the time you template, make parts, break and replace trial run pieces and car parts, and account for you time, $250 might turn out to be cheap.

Best,

T

NormB

there was a kit that had it mounted it on the upper spring mount tower.
just drill a hole threw it, thread it and bolt it on,

THAT is exactly the conclusion I came to the other day. I did some measuring, measured again. Then again. A stud in the left spring tower, a stud on an angle bracket on a steel or thick aluminum crosspiece, couple of those rubber inserts for the hood channels, couple hours futzing around and the parts I sourced (14x24 160lb gas strut, stud, bracket) delivered comes to about $60 even.

Pretty sure I can and will do this shortly. I’ll post parts list and details.

Appreciate the comment about time=money in a roundabout way, but heck, half of the stuff we do on these machines could be done by professionals. Why do it ourselves?

I like tinkering with stuff, finding solutions.

Reactions: OBX

HmmrMan

not related to this seller but he put a kit online not cheap but a good picture of the parts needed and idea how to put it together.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a couple of spare hood lifts for my 2002 Camry so I figured that they should work. It still needs a couple of reinforcement plates across the ribs on the hood, cleaning up and painting but it works great. Opens by itself after raising the hood about 4 inches.

Attachments

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hate to be picky but those cylinders are upside down, they should be mounted rod down to keep the seals wet.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Someone sent me a PM hinting I was full of it, here are just a few examples from the folks that BUILD them............
I had forgotten about the additional dampening effet of the oil as the cylinder reached full extension keeping the hood etc. from banging at the end of travel
https://www.camloc.com/technical-support/gas-spring-mounting-position/
https://lstechnologies.ca/general-info/frequently-asked-questions/
https://www.asraymond.com/gas-spring-proper-orientation.html
https://www.stabilus.com/service-spare-parts/installation-hints-and-tips/

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks