• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Hood Lift gas shock - anyone MADE one?

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Someone sent me a PM hinting I was full of it, here are just a few examples from the folks that BUILD them............
I had forgotten about the additional dampening effet of the oil as the cylinder reached full extension keep the hood etc. from banging at the end of travel
https://www.camloc.com/technical-support/gas-spring-mounting-position/
https://lstechnologies.ca/general-info/frequently-asked-questions/
https://www.asraymond.com/gas-spring-proper-orientation.html
https://www.stabilus.com/service-spare-parts/installation-hints-and-tips/
You taught me something that I didn't know. Thanks.

azulrios

I had a couple of spare hood lifts for my 2002 Camry so I figured that they should work. It still needs a couple of reinforcement plates across the ribs on the hood, cleaning up and painting but it works great. Opens by itself after raising the hood about 4 inches.
I noticed that you have the hood prop mounting but no hood prop. Did you remove since the two (02) gas struts / springs will safety keep the hood from falling??

G3isMe

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...Not that it's "difficult" to raise the hood, but something like this sure would make it easier....

Tk
This is a great idea. My hood weighs a ton as it still has the steel armored grill. Thanks for posting...

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gosh, every time I come here I get more great ideas!

I don't have a lot of fabrication skills, but I guess I can cut some steel plate with the "wheel of death".

The only thing cooler would be to use Linear Actuators to raise the hood! I have seen those in action at car shows.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do people have trouble lifting the stock setup? Maybe it's just me but I have no issues lifting the hood and letting it down. I like the idea of the gas shocks and like the installs. Just how are most lifting the hood? Where are you and where are your hands.

Mark

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do people have trouble lifting the stock setup? Maybe it's just me but I have no issues lifting the hood and letting it down. I like the idea of the gas shocks and like the installs. Just how are most lifting the hood? Where are you and where are your hands.

Mark
The first 12 inches are the hardest, def. have to lift with my legs. I get the best results standing by the drivers door, pushing up on the wheel well edge, both hands, back straight knees bent. I like the idea of assistance, but if I gotta get it 4" I might as well take it the whole way...
BDGR

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the way I do it is. Left hand grabbing the wheel well right hand grabbing to recess with my first finger grabbing below the corner top edge and "push" over to the other wheel up at about 45 degrees. Lot easier to push and lift rather than just lift.

Mark

Reactions: OBX

Action

Well the way I do it is. Left hand grabbing the wheel well right hand grabbing to recess with my first finger grabbing below the corner top edge and "push" over to the other wheel up at about 45 degrees. Lot easier to push and lift rather than just lift.

Mark
Yup. Push towards the passenger side while on driver side. If you don’t, you probably have scratch marks on the air filter lid.
The closer your hands are to the windshield, the easier it will be.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first 12 inches are the hardest, def. have to lift with my legs. I get the best results standing by the drivers door, pushing up on the wheel well edge, both hands, back straight knees bent. I like the idea of assistance, but if I gotta get it 4" I might as well take it the whole way...
BDGR
But that 4 inches can be done with 1 or 2 fingers. I literally have to push down slightly to engage the hood latches. It takes more effort to close than open.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks