• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV How deep of ------am I in. Need Hummwv Mech.

Blackbear

Ok not a huge auction player. I am looking at an 87 HMMWV, now here's when it gets good, they could not start it, it does have an engine and a leak at the valve cover, drip pan underneath, not too bad. in? Is it worth the effort or will I get lucky, what's the trend been on something like this, It's a gov auction.
or is my day blown up.

Last edited by a moderator:

FloridaAKM

Discussing active auctions is sort of frowned upon till after it is over. You won't know what you are in for until after the dust settles & you take possesion of it. Then you will how deep it is..............

camoyj7

Have you tried starting it? Is missing anything off motor? If not I would check fluids and see what it does. Leaky valve cover gaskets are common on 6.2/6.5s. They can be a pain sometimes because injector lines go over top of them.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bidding on auctions usually wait until the last few minutes then the prices usually soar.

From an old timer "Never bid more than you are willing to loose".

Without doing an inspection it is all a crap shoot.

Last edited:

greenjeepster

On a side note... Is that a deer blind on your truck?

Back on topic... it is a crapshoot... there have been plenty of cheap trucks listed on the classifieds here that people bought and then had mechanical problems with... there have also been plenty that turned out to be fine mechanically.

Blackbear

I appreciate the feedback, and Yes it is , parks on the ridges until I figure out where to put it for now. Back on topic today was interesting, I was out bid in the end so I am somewhat relieved at this point, learned quite a bit.

FloridaAKM

Sometimes all the fun is in the bidding process. If you can preview a truck to your satisfaction, it is less scary $$$ wise. Just be prepared to deal with the hand that the auction results leaves you with; sometimes you win, sometimes you loose....

greenjeepster

Do they even allow preview on these? I know some guys have been able to preview them when they are previewing something from GL which was on the same lot, but I didn't think GP allowed previews?

TucsonVTXF

It was fun that's for sure, I learned I watched the entire auction and learned quite a bit, ready for next week.
Thanks again.
I won mine on the min bid to realize I won the one I didn't want from the lot.... oh well we will see what I got when the EUC clears lol

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do they even allow preview on these? I know some guys have been able to preview them when they are previewing something from GL which was on the same lot, but I didn't think GP allowed previews?
I've heard that some sites will allow previews, most don't.

GP really just wants you to go by their inspection, which is fairly detailed and they supposedly stand behind it. It's also been noted that they will go to a fair amount of trouble to get a vehicle to start and run, which means if they say it won't start, it's more than likely more serious than just a dead battery.

Good luck, how much did location matter to you, I am putting together my strategy for next week.
For me, location means a lot. It cost quite a bit to get a MV from point A to point B, especially if you have to have it hauled. You have to figure the transportation cost into the price.

greenjeepster

Transport costs are a huge part of it... also booking transport sometimes will put you later than the allowed removal period which means you will have storage fees.

Mine I actually had to book two separate trucking companies, one to get it off of the yard and store it for me and a second to transport it to my place. That was the only way I could get everything to work... If it comes down to trailering or towbar off of base you need a heavy duty tow vehicle. I have a full size suburban and it can't handle it safely... so think 1 ton or larger.

Blackbear

I feel better prepared for the next go round, and agree location matters, transport can eat up a lot of cost you could have applied to the better off. Here's my take aways,
Bids tended to be higher earlier in the round, so hopefully the one you want is not in the first couple of batches.
Location matters, bid another $1000 if your close.
The obvious, set your limits, also end of the year you may get lucky.
If your going after one make sure it has all the features you want, paint etc. you can get caught up quickly and forget this one doesn't
run.
If there's only one that everyone wants you will overpay.

Any others!

springbok

Only bid what you are willing to pay and willing to loose. Keep in mind, these are "toys" not something you are going to drive to work.
Also do not forget the added 10%
Last, clear it with the wife before bidding.

greenjeepster

Pretty easy to tell if it ran or not. if it starts at 5K it didn't run, if it starts at 7.5K it did. When I bought mine I also went for one with the better oil analysis results... they could mean nothing more than that the fluids were recently changed,, but even that is worth a few hundred bucks if you had to do it yourself.

I always choose the lots I want and put my max bid down early. If it goes over I move on to my second and third choice, but I rarely have ever had it come to that. Usually what I am willing to spend wins the lot. And yes don't forget to factor in the buyer's premium and taxes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks