• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV ignition wiring

4x4Guy

I have an ignition switch and no diagram, ignition switch has letters B, R, S and wires availabe for ignition are 11A, 14A and 29A anyone have knowledge or input where to find this info? looked through TM's and so far found nothing

papakb

You have to have a set of manuals to effectively maintain a HMMWV. They're downloadable off of the internet but hardcopy is the way to go. The information you need is in TM9-2320-280-20-3 on FO-1. 11A to B, 29A to R, 14A to S.

Kurt

Last edited:

NormB

Holy historical typo batman!

Reanimating dead posts is a hobby or a curse, but I have to ask, IS there a super-secret x-30-3 manual somewhere I'm missing?

I tried looking in x-20-1 through x-20-3, the schematics I've tried having blown up to legible scale with no joy, and at the cost of a couple quarts of oil, a waste of time.

I even looked at modern wiring numbers for M-series vehicles and the resuklts were a little sketchy, indirectly related, not clear at all except for "!!A - ignition switch FEED" I have to assume is HOT, or Battery, but I've also learned you can't assume ANYTHING about wiring on these vehicles, and S3 PCBs are pricey.

I have spent, literally, hours in the manuals - printed and electronic on my computer - online, and here, using the search engine function (marginally effective, still) only to find a single reference to this "problem" with the solution that seems to make sense except the manual says 20A not 29A and I can't find the manual you referred to.

Probably why the OP never replied.

Been a while since I've posted, longer since I asked for any help, but really, does ANYONE have the correct answer for this?

AND where it can be found in the manual?

Thanks.

NormB

D'oh! Transcribing error on my part. 29A NOT 20A, sorry about that, and thanks. The ONLY thing I could find in TM-x-20-2 was on page 4-7, "rotary switch" but it didn't specify which letters on the switch to connect leads.

I have a full - and I mean full, about 5,000 pages worth thanks to my clinic printer - of clean laser-printed manuals, bound and used often; for ready reference I use the PDF files on my iPhone/pad or computer, but THIS one really bothered me.

That schematic thing I gave up on years ago. I have a friend who works as an estimator for a megamillion dollar mansion builder and he has access to a large-scale printer. After spending about $12 at a local Kinko's, another $5 at a UPS/printshop, I asked him to take a look and gave him a thumb drive with all the schematics. He couldn't unpack, scale/print any better than I could a screen at a time on my home computer (which is what I was working with but it's ink-jet), tried this on the laser at work with no joy either.

One would think... with all the people into this hobby with connections, former military mechanics, IT guys, and more, that SOMEONE would have a clear, scalable digital image somewhere that would be making the rounds.

Your eyesight's gotta be better than mine or my friend who reads blueprints and architectural drawings all day.

Thanks for playing.

You win the internet for today.

-Norm

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Tip of the day.........

B= BATTERY
R= RUN
S= START

Letters are molded / raised near the switch terminals.

Some of guys have that figured out, But thought it should be written.

123 ABC. Now let's hot wire the truck, CAMO

KRedd

TB 9-2320-280-23, Field Maintenance Schematics. September 2013, Distribution Statement -C. Page 53, FO-15 Starter Schematic.

NormB

TB 9-2320-280-23, Field Maintenance Schematics. September 2013, Distribution Statement -C. Page 53, FO-15 Starter Schematic.
Did a search on duckduckgo for: TB 9-2320-280-23 and got exactly nine hits, none of which was for said manual.

Same search in google, first hit was for Army Publication Directorate, but no link in next two pages for actual manual.

Searched for same manual HERE, first two hits were to this post. None of the next three pages had anything related to it. So I did an exact quote search "TB 9-2320-280-23" here - only this thread showed up, online there are 5 links on DDG, 3 pages on google, first two reference APD again, next two pages are linked to overseas data harvesting sites, nothing useful.

Got a source for downloading this somewhere? APD requires an account, and a CAC card (gave mine up in 2006 when I left civil service) to download.

Thanks.

NBScreen Shot 2020-08-12 at 6.29.37 PM.png

Last edited:

papakb

Hey NormB, doesn't the bible say "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone?" I think resurecting an old, old post with an obvious typo in it might be almost the same thing. :sick:

I went back in and corrected the original type that was TM 9 2320-280-30-3 that should have been TM 9 2320-280-20-3. Now my mistake aside I see someone else has screwed the pooch and typed TM 9 2320-280-23 that should also have been TM 9 2320-280-20-3 instead, another typo. :rolleyes:

If anything, this should have stirred up some fourth party posting in HUGE LETTERS RTFM which is the real object of the exercise!

Now let's all lighten up and get back to enjoying our vehicles OK? 🤠

BTW: here's the info from TM 9 2320-280-20-3:

Run Start Switch.jpg

Last edited:

NormB

Hey NormB, doesn't the bible say "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone?" I think resurecting an old, old post with an obvious typo in it might be almost the same thing. :sick:

I went back in and corrected the original type that was TM 9 2320-280-
30-3 that should have been TM 9 2320-280-20-3. Now my mistake aside I see someone else has screwed the pooch and typed TM 9 2320-280-23 that should also have been TM 9 2320-280-20-3 instead, another typo. :rolleyes:

If anything, this should have stirred up some fourth party posting in HUGE LETTERS
RTFM which is the real object of the exercise!

View attachment 808848
And I don't need a microscope to read it. THANK YOU.

papakb

NormB, that message was directed at all those that buy these trucks and then ask "What's a HMMWV" not an experienced old hand like yourself.

Last edited:

KRedd

I went back in and corrected the original type that was TM 9 2320-280-
30-3 that should have been TM 9 2320-280-20-3. Now my mistake aside I see someone else has screwed the pooch and typed TM 9 2320-280-23 that should also have been TM 9 2320-280-20-3 instead, another typo. :rolleyes:

If anything, this should have stirred up some fourth party posting in HUGE LETTERS
RTFM which is the real object of the exercise!

View attachment 808848
Excuse me , but the manual I referenced is actually Technical Bulletin 9-2320-280-23. I have it in front of me at this moment.

papakb

If you have an actual hardcopy of the -23 manual could you scan it and post a link to it here on SS? Googleing it here in the States get's you nowhere as NornB said.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Papabk, the reason you and NormB can not find this TB in the internet, and the reason Kredd can not post it in the forum is the same. Sadly, Technical Bulletin 9-2320-280-23 is coded "C"

DISTRIBUTION STATEMENT C: Distribution authorized to U.S. Government agencies and their contractors. REASONS: Critical Technology, and
Export Controlled. DATE OF DETERMINATION: 04 October 2007. Other requests for this document shall be referred to the U.S. Army TACOM
Life Cycle Management Command, ATTN: AMSTA‐LCL‐MPP/ TECH PUBS, MS 727, 6501 E. 11 Mile Road, Warren, MI 48397‐5000.
WARNING: This document contains technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (TITLE 22, U.S.C. SEC 2751, et seq.)
or the Export Administration Act of 1979, ( Title 50, U.S.C., App 2401 et seq.), as amended. Violations of these export laws are subject to severe
criminal penalties. Disseminate in accordance with provisions of DoD Directive 5230.25.
DESTRUCTION NOTICE: Destroy by any method that will prevent disclosure of contents or reconstruction of the document.

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Honestly, the TM manual is a piece of crap. If you've used it a couple hundred times and know your way around it, that's good. But if your new to the whole HMMWV thing, and are not mechanically inclined, then your looking at blank pages. I think when new members ask a question, we should answer it to the best of our ability. The whole "read the TM" statement is a control tactic used to make people feel stupid and to make them refrain from asking questions later. If a member continuously bombards SS with redundant questions, then I would understand. I will explain it in the most basic terms....IF YOUR NOT PART OF THE SOLUTION, YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Honestly, the TM manual is a piece of crap. If you've used it a couple hundred times and know your way around it, that's good. But if your new to the whole HMMWV thing, and are not mechanically inclined, then your looking at blank pages. I think when new members ask a question, we should answer it to the best of our ability. The whole "read the TM" statement is a control tactic used to make people feel stupid and to make them refrain from asking questions later. If a member continuously bombards SS with redundant questions, then I would understand. I will explain it in the most basic terms....IF YOUR NOT PART OF THE SOLUTION, YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM.
I think you are 100% wrong, it is not a control thing, learning to use the TMs and they are not crap is in the HMMWVs owners best interest, it helps the new owner understand much more than simply having a question answered, I am not saying we should not answer the question at hand but in the long run it is much better for the owner to be able to locate what he needs in the TMs.
I think some folks that complain about the TMs are just lazy, the average GI can be taught to use the TMs so just about anyone should be able to learn and just about anything you need to know is in there.

Guyfang

Staff member
The main problem with TM's is that people do not know how to use them, and do not want to take the time to learn. They are simple. They are not a "Know every problem" book. That's what most people want. No book has every answer. But when you have a compleat knowledge of the equipment, finding answers is much easier.

If you own a piece of military equipment, and have not read all the TM's from front to back, then you are shorting yourself badly. In every -10 operators book ever printed, is appendix A. An important document. Do you know what the -10 HMMWV appendix A is? Have you ever taken the time to read the first few pages of a -24P? Lots of useful info there. SMR code. UOC code. 98% of the folks here in the form do not have any idea what those codes are, and how they can help you. When one understands that the military has divided the maintenance and repair of equipment in to 3 levels, and there are 3 different levels of information to use, repairing things is much goes much easier. Before you condemn the TM's, try and understand them.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
@4x4nutz ,

The most difficult thing about the TM's is learning the nomenclature. These books are not going to keep you awake if you try to sit down and try to read them from cover to cover. I started out with a M936. It's a 5-Ton wrecker. Nothing special, just a big green truck... I started out just paging through the "-10" book (operators manual). I discovered a few things that I didn't know. Then as I started fixing things that didn't work, I discovered there are FLOW CHARTS that help point you in the direction of a fix. I would read, then get PI$$ed because the answer wasn't there. Ask a few forum questions, then get some help. Some replies were straight up answers to the problem. Others were not, but at least with the books I could call the part I was working the right name.

The M1088 that I got a little later is one that almost drove me nuts! There are two Rubber Biscuits under the front of the cab. When I discovered that they were called Cab Supports I was able to find more "how to" information in the TM's.

You can't know what you don't know - and you can't ask without a little background information - from those TM's

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks