• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV in Limp Mode DTC 53 4L80E Transmission

Mariner

Has anyone dealt with a DTC 53 code? The transmission warning light comes on when vehicle is on run to warm up glow plugs. Goes away when it is running (Still stuck in 2nd gear) and comes back on when the ignition is switched to engine off. I was not sure if there was something that is a typical offender for causing this code I should look at.

Thank you in advance and any help is welcomed. I went through the troubleshooting manual and a little lost. The transmission relay was swapped out as it looked to be in terrible condition.

-Giuseppe-
1993 HMMWV M1025 A2 GMV Variant

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you saying the transmission warning light is ON while the ignition is OFF? The transmission controller should be unpowered when the ignition is off. Suggest you still have issues in the relay area.

Mariner

Are you saying the transmission warning light is ON while the ignition is OFF? The transmission controller should be unpowered when the ignition is off. Suggest you still have issues in the relay area.
Yeh its strange that it comes on when the ignition is off.

So comes on when it goes to run, when I'm waiting for the glow plugs to warm up, turns off when running, and turns back on when I switch the ignition off. It will only stay off when I turn the batteries to off (installed a battery disconnect switch instead of a keyed ignition.)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Suggest you carefully verify all the connections associated with the transmission power relay. Maybe the controller is powered off with the ignition on and on with the ignition off. Also, the STE/ICE will not help you with this issue, it only provides very basic engine diagnostics such as fuel pressure and starter amp draw.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually the TCM is powered all the time on pin Z, it has a run power feed also.
trans.JPG
But the light should only have power in the run position.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Actually the TCM is powered all the time on pin Z, it has a run power feed also.
View attachment 882597
But the light should only have power in the run position.
That pictorial of the transmission power feed ... is or could be a bit confusing to a newbie to the lamp circuit. The ground on pin U to controller is a logic control "pull to ground or low" from the CPU.

This link below is a very good trouble guide with detail., wire numbers too. IMO a MUST have for 4l80e rig owners.

The more you know... the more you GO 🚙, CAMO

Mariner

Found the wire for the 12v side on the rear battery was connected to the forward battery. Swapped and the over voltage code cleared. Now I have codes 63 and 83. Has anyone seen this code 63? I cannot find it in the manual, and I triple checked it flashed code 63 as well. The lamp indicator dims but stays on when in off. Not a big issue as I have a battery disconnect in the meantime.

AAVP7

If the "trans" light stays on when the "run" switch is off (even dim), then something electrically is very wrong. I would go over the whole wiring, and check if everything is connected as it belongs, before I switch that TCM on again. Just relying on the battery disconnect doesn´t solve the apparent electrical problem.

Code 63 isn´t in the manual indeed. Google gave me " DTC 63 – Accelerator Pedal Position 3 Circuit High", but that´s from a civilian manual. Depending on which pole of the forward battery the 12 V wire was fixed, it could well be that the TCM was fed 24 volts.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your protective control box PCB may be leaking green smoke. Might be time to replace if current continues to flow to tranny when you’re off. (I’ve heard of this before.) Either that or your ignition switch is defective (especially if you have an aftermarket keyed ignition). Or it could be both.

PM me if you need an EESS / PCB rebuild.

I sell a “Genius Box” because “smart boxes ain’t smart and don’t always start”. I also posted DIY instructions if you feel so inclined.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the trans shift correctly? sending 24V to the TCM is never a good thing, I would suspect the smoke has been let out of the TCM

Mariner

I’m going to take it for a test drive tomorrow. To see if it now shifts correctly. Only code I have is a Code 63 from the transmission flashing light. Other than the normal start 12 and end 12 flash. I’ll check the connections on the ignition switch. Still using the factory ones.

Mariner

All codes are clear, code 63 was triggered by a little bit of transmission fluid in the Transmission Connector. Cleaned out and shifting with no issues. Still working on the transmission light being on. Funny thing is, when its off and you hit the breaks... the transmission light gets brighter and goes dim again when you release the break.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks