• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Insurance help please

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no reasoning with it. IT is the government.

Amazing how "You are the government" is what they say when they want something.
NO, you can't do that is when they pull out their big book of rules. Real Official or Imagined...

Don't hesitate to fight them tooth and nail.
Quite often a small town DMV office is more cooperative than a big city one.
I have an office picked out already and the DMV guy is also the dog catcher and runs a gift shop. Lol

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand, but I don’t understand why it belongs in a place where you can’t get any help. Might as well ask the question on the Tesla forum. Why can’t Hmmwv insurance be a sticky? I bet more are insured than have grounding harnesses. I apologize for being uptight but I have a lot of money sitting in the driveway without insurance and I don’t have months to get help and answers and hope that a Hmmwv owner decides to see what’s going on in the world of insurance. Thank you for your time explaining it to me. I don’t understand it even after hearing it but I am great full for an answer and explanation of why.
Maybe you should have done your research on insurance BEFORE you spent all that money .

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
State Farm called me this morning and said they will insure it and asked for replacement cost and said that they will have numbers for me shortly. I called them Friday and told him that I know for a fact that you insure this vehicle in other states and if he could submit it again to a more experienced underwriter. He agreed and it looks like that was the problem. I wouldn’t have been able to be (as a matter of fact I know) without the members pitching in to help me, Thank you so much! I still have my fingers crossed until I get numbers.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
State Farm called me this morning and said they will insure it and asked for replacement cost and said that they will have numbers for me shortly. I called them Friday and told him that I know for a fact that you insure this vehicle in other states and if he could submit it again to a more experienced underwriter. He agreed and it looks like that was the problem. I wouldn’t have been able to be (as a matter of fact I know) without the members pitching in to help me, Thank you so much! I still have my fingers crossed until I get numbers.

Once they write the policy, ask about roadside/towing. I was able to get it on my M923 with no issues. Even after I showed them how big the truck was.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got my quote and they want 132.00 a month and they only cover whatever I destroy of someone else’s and they don’t fix or replace my stuff. So I’m paying twice the amount for 1/2 the coverage. I pay 215 a month for my blazer, h2, and 2 Roadkings full coverage and big coverage.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did an online quote from Hagerty today and it came back with 241.00 to start and 86.00 a month or 991.00 a year. Not restrictions and seems to be good coverage. I’m probably going to go that route because it’s the only route I have found. I didn’t want to do a separate policy because I thought it would be more expensive and I would save with a bundle. Lol just not the case so far.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hagerty and Gulfway are similar in that they specialize in collector's vehicles. I think the last time I paid them my M813 was around $215 for the year for full coverage and $10k value.

Your cost for that truck is higher than my newer RAM or my wife's Cadillac. Everything is going up but damn, that's ridiculous.

But you have insurance (or will have).

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hagerty and Gulfway are similar in that they specialize in collector's vehicles. I think the last time I paid them my M813 was around $215 for the year for full coverage and $10k value.

Your cost for that truck is higher than my newer RAM or my wife's Cadillac. Everything is going up but damn, that's ridiculous.

But you have insurance (or will have).
It sucks but what can you do when you have to have it for your own protection. This is my 6th vehicle and I can’t possibly use all 6 very often. I will be thinning out the heard a little bit and that will help ease the pain of registering and insuring stuff I don’t need. I have all old stuff that probably doesn’t add up to 1 new vehicle. Lol I like old stuff better than new stuff

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It sucks but what can you do when you have to have it for your own protection. This is my 6th vehicle and I can’t possibly use all 6 very often. I will be thinning out the heard a little bit and that will help ease the pain of registering and insuring stuff I don’t need. I have all old stuff that probably doesn’t add up to 1 new vehicle. Lol I like old stuff better than new stuff
I know and understand about the old stuff - but if YOU enjoy it - then everybody else can just kiss your (well, you know). I have managed to figure out that tagging everything can be done more cheaply though. I have transporter tags and that way I can "drag the tag" from one truck to another when I make my weekly drives to stretch the legs on my toys.

Caactus

GEICO, which I have on my other vehicles, wouldn't touch it. I called USAA and they outsource through Progressive Commercial. I'm paying about $800 for 12 months of full purchase price coverage. The 6 digit serial number was wonky. Half the people I spoke with balked and the other half said they absolutely were familiar. They issued me a policy even though it wasn't registered but I've got back a forth with them a few times about them being unable to locate the VIN in AZ registration audits...not surprising seeing as how its been insured for a couple months and I hadn't tried to register it until today (Fail, see Registration Follies thread in HMMWV). Still working on the registration and the insurance seems to still be in place. Good luck to you.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
GEICO, which I have on my other vehicles, wouldn't touch it. I called USAA and they outsource through Progressive Commercial. I'm paying about $800 for 12 months of full purchase price coverage. The 6 digit serial number was wonky. Half the people I spoke with balked and the other half said they absolutely were familiar. They issued me a policy even though it wasn't registered but I've got back a forth with them a few times about them being unable to locate the VIN in AZ registration audits...not surprising seeing as how its been insured for a couple months and I hadn't tried to register it until today (Fail, see Registration Follies thread in HMMWV). Still working on the registration and the insurance seems to still be in place. Good luck to you.
Every state is different, but the ladies at the contract NCDMV station here in Charlotte know all about it. They have what they call a cheat book for how to do things that are out of the ordinary. Specifically in their book, they are told to pad the VIN with zeros to make it a 17 character string. Note that they called it a string - not a number because it also mentions that in that book.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every state is different, but the ladies at the contract NCDMV station here in Charlotte know all about it. They have what they call a cheat book for how to do things that are out of the ordinary. Specifically in their book, they are told to pad the VIN with zeros to make it a 17 character string. Note that they called it a string - not a number because it also mentions that in that book.

Sounds like my BMV I use. It is soooo nice when a bureaucrat has all their crap in one bag and stenciled too.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I went with Hagerty and it will be effective on 9/29/21. it’s 991.00 a year and once I sell my Harley’s and park it in the garage it will drop to 738.00 a year. I’m happy with my quote and excited to start driving it.

Mechanik

So I went with Hagerty and it will be effective on 9/29/21. it’s 991.00 a year and once I sell my Harley’s and park it in the garage it will drop to 738.00 a year. I’m happy with my quote and excited to start driving it.
Hey Max
Im in Vegas also I have a 2008 M1123 and thought I purchased insurance thru Hagerty only to find out next day they declined because it’s not over 20 years old. What year is your HMMWV?

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Max
Im in Vegas also I have a 2008 M1123 and thought I purchased insurance thru Hagerty only to find out next day they declined because it’s not over 20 years old. What year is your HMMWV?
Mine is a 2002. Did you do the online quote? It’s my understanding that military vehicles are separate and don’t have any year restrictions. The girl on the phone ran everything and said it went thru with no issues. Maybe because mine is so close to 20 years old?

Mechanik

Mine is a 2002. Did you do the online quote? It’s my understanding that military vehicles are separate and don’t have any year restrictions. The girl on the phone ran everything and said it went thru with no issues. Maybe because mine is so close to 20 years old?
I did do the online even paid by credit card for whole year. Next day i get a call from them stating decline coverage due to age less then 20 years. The coverage I selected with Hagerty I thougjt was excellent, if they would have accepted. I just recieved my SF97 and wanted to go thru DMV process to title and street legal register it. As for DMV they said all I need to do is bring it to them using a temp movement permit for VIN inspection form VP17 then head inside for titling and registration.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I did do the online even paid by credit card for whole year. Next day i get a call from them stating decline coverage due to age less then 20 years. The coverage I selected with Hagerty I thougjt was excellent, if they would have accepted. I just recieved my SF97 and wanted to go thru DMV process to title and street legal register it. As for DMV they said all I need to do is bring it to them using a temp movement permit for VIN inspection form VP17 then head inside for titling and registration.
Insurance can be a ROYAL PAIN. Started with Nationwide. Flat out no for me. I kept looking. I finally had good success with Farm Bureau. They were a little more expensive than I wanted but I took what I could get - and kept looking. Spoke to the State Farm guy who my son has insurance with. He said No. Finally happened to be talking to somebody else at a different State Farm agency. He said yes, put me on a non-commercial commercial policy with all 5 MV's on that policy. Rate was reasonable too!

The KEY is that some insurance agents have a lot more experience than others. Just keep asking and sooner or later you will find what you need / want. BE HONEST with your intentions. Daily Driver? Mostly just Parades? Monthly cruise around? The more you tell them, the more they can tailor something specific for you.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might be worth a phone call. I was under the impression that they insure sports cars and motorcycles and whatever’s unusual and I didn’t think they had a age limit/ minimum. I have appointment on December 6th for DMV and hopefully I will have my title by then. I will start driving it on the 28th when I start my policy and when I get pulled over I can show my appointment. Not my problem government can’t get my stuff done

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks