• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Insurance...what do you call the thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vitamink

I'm trying to insure my newest acquisition. I'll be picking 'er up here soon and want to have insurance in place for the trip back. I got a picture of the title and I went to the same place where i have my house insured and they couldn't find AMG, 998, or any way to add such a short VIN number. They are obviously a satellite for the larger mother ship of insurance and sent them an email asking how to proceed. My questions are as follows:

1. What did you call your AM General Hmmwv to get insurance? H-1 perhaps?

2. What type of insurance do you have i.e. full coverage, state minimum, or something else?

3. How much do you pay for the above insurance you have? (if you don't mind me asking)

Mine is a 1985 m998 slantback, and yes, i'll post pictures when i go get it... i just need insurance before that

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I just insured mine,It tagged as a classic.It costs me $600 a year,and has full coverage.Valued at $30k.

vitamink

Thanks for that!
That sounds pretty good, what carrier did you use and what did they have to call it to get the info to work in their computers?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are you going to do with the truck? That will dictate what type of insurance and where to get it. In turn that will help with the naming.

Last edited:

vitamink

My plan is just to drive it about once every two weeks, but mostly to shows, parades, veteran benefits and anything that needs a HMMWV assuming i can get the time off.

When i went to my local insurance agent, that i use for my house, i showed him a copy of the title which lists the vehicle as a 1985 AMG 998 pkup. The way their system is set up you enter the year in a drop down menu, then you get the option for make, then you get the option for model. Unfortunately for me, AMG or American General wasn't an option. He sent an email to the Ins company hoping that they could make a special policy for a military vehicle but he won't hear back until monday. I told them to try "H-1" as it's essentially the same thing with different tail lights, less wiring, and a gun turret. They didn't want to do that or weren't sure if it'd work or something. I need to have it insured before the end of next week as that's when i'm picking it up. I may have to go with another Ins company separate from my homeowner policy. I appreciate all the suggestions so far. Picture below...I'm already in love

image-7.jpg

kflips

USAA would not insure my 1985 hmmwv but have an agreement with progressive auto insurance so I went through them. Looks like there are a number of companies who will insure them.

vitamink

Jwailler, would you do me a favor and tell me what is listed on your farm bureau insurance card? Did you add a bunch of 0's to the vin? What does the insurance card list the make and model as?

vitamink

My Insurance agent has failed me so in my desperate hour I contacted Geico and Progressive. The gecko said that he couldn't do it and progressive quoted me $1,000 a month. I tried to check State Farm and got no where. They said I have to speak to an agent in person. Hopefully j.c. Taylor has can insure on in Indy.... What a pain

ollied

I have had my m998 insured since 1994 with Erie, both as historic and reg with full coerage. Also have used J C Taylor. I have had several different m998 as well as h1 insured with Erie.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you plan on housing the HMMWV outside, or in a locked garage? J.C. Taylor is a great company, but they have restrictions depending on what policy you go for. One of those restrictions is that the vehicle must be in a locked garage. Call Gulfway Insurers in Florida if you plan on housing it outside. http://www.racensur.com/ Tell them it is a historic military vehicle and that you plan on driving it in parades, etc. Send them pictures when you pick up the truck. I don't think they will have a problem cutting you a policy for your HMMWV.

Hope this information helps you.

vitamink

UPDATE: I got it all worked out!!!

in case others come here looking for info i'll explain my journey and what i've learned. I checked with the larger carriers (farmers, farm bureau, allstate) and no one wanted anything to do with it. I then moved to online carriers like Geico and Progressive. Geico didn't want to do anything with it and Progressive wanted to charge 1,500...a month. I backhanded Flo in her stupid hair and moved on. My insurance agent that i said failed me earlier, was still working hard on it. He found Safeco insurance at the same time that i was checking out J.C.Taylor and Hannity insurance. Both J.C. Taylor and Hannity were around $500.00 Hannity seemed to be the better buy over JC Taylor as the price was the same but you can drive farther on Hannity...I think J.C. Taylor limits you to 3,500 miles and both require it to be stored in a locked garage. Luckily my insurance guy was able to get me the maximum of insurance from safeco with no odd restrictions. He talked directly to an underwriter. The only "odd" thing required is a picture of the engine and a picture of the interior.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you got the coverage you were after. You didn't give up and kept researching. Now you can get that HMMWV on the road!!

:-D

EdMontana

Titled here in TN as AMG M988, got Travelers Insurance Co. "Commercial Policy" with zero restrictions on 3 MV's (HMMWV, M35A3, M817) About $539 year. Travelers will not talk with you directly, you must use an Agent..... I use Gulfway Insurers from FL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks