• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv LED light question????

Mjvaden

Hi guys, I have a led light question. I just bought a set of riverside manufacturing led tail lights and marker lights. I installed the tail lights and they worked fine. Once I installed the front signal lights the blinkers would no longer work any where on the truck front or back. I read that they may not be pulling enought power with the LEDs to make them work.

my question is does any one know of a fix for this?

mike

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There is a flasher unit that works with the LED lights. Best bet is to find one and install it. I would ask the vendor to verify its LED compatible, as some guys got some they thought were right and they didn't work.

If you ask them, its on the vendor, not you.

Mjvaden

Ok so I now know I need a flasher unit. I contacted riverside manufacturing who made the light they said that they no longer make one but that they thought trucklite did. So I have two more questions?

1) does any body know which flasher unit I would need? (I am assuming I need a 24 volt?to make it work?)
2) how and where to I wire it up? (I assume I can put it in the housing? There is LOTS of room since the LEDs are a sealed unit?)

any help is appreciated.
Thanks, mike

Attachments

gimpyrobb

The flasher unit is part of your wire harness already. I don't know off hand where they are on the 939 series truck, but you should just need to swap it out.

Nothing new you need to add.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a flasher on the cab floorboard over the dimmer switch to the left of the column. Trucklite does offer a pricy replacement.

Does your light blink on the turn signal stalk? Another member reported replacing that small bulb with a led along with other led lights and everything was a no go. When he replaced the turn signal indicator bulb in the switch back to incandescent , everything worked.

Mjvaden

Thanks for the tips! I found the trucklite flasher it was over $200 ouch! Doing a little more digging found this http://galuba.org/LED-Trucklite.pdf

i took the little bulb in the turn signal control (on the steering colum) out and all the LEDs function properly. I am going to order an led and see it that was the issue. I will up date this when the tiny led bulb comes in.

mike

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My deuce had the exact same symptoms when I switched first to LED taillights, then to LED front markers. I changed the flasher control module to a more modern version and it fixed the problem. I don't recall what the flasher box looks like on a HMMWV or 939 5 ton, but the module for a 809 5 ton and M44 2.5 ton are the same. I used this version: http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/tusiflcoun11.html

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far I as know, all the mil flashers are the same...I have about 5 differnt versions, all of which work in a HMMWV.
the issue with the flasher unit for the LED's is one that seems to only apply to non Groat and Trucklite.
cant remember which one though...personally for me, it's a waste of money, the only thing LED worth the money is the Headlights...now that makes a bigggg difference.

Mjvaden

Ok I got the little led bulb for the turn signal and every thing functions properly now. The little led bulbs came from superbrightleds.com and was about $3. I replaced the gauge lights with the same led bulb as well. The bulb was a ba9s-x4.

Glad I got it figured out. Ended up a $3 fix instead of a $200 plus flasher unit fix.

gimpyrobb

Thanks for thew heads up. Does your bulb look like one one you provided in the first link? The bulb on the superbirghtled page doesn't look the same.

bigfishtoys

Ok so I now know I need a flasher unit. I contacted riverside manufacturing who made the light they said that they no longer make one but that they thought trucklite did. So I have two more questions?1) does any body know which flasher unit I would need? (I am assuming I need a 24 volt?to make it work?)2) how and where to I wire it up? (I assume I can put it in the housing? There is LOTS of room since the LEDs are a sealed unit?)any help is appreciated.Thanks, mike
didn't see an answer in this thread, so need to ask. I have an M998 HUMVEE that had perfectly working front and rear bulb turn signals. I swapped out the rear turn signals with LED taillights (the entire taillight assembly, not just the bulb) and they work for running, brake, and blinking turn signal lights. Then after that, i swapped out the front turn signals to LED turn signal lights (the entire taillight assembly, not just the bulb). They work fine for running lights, but when i turn on the left or right blinkers, they only stay on high intensity with no blinking. So the front LED only work for running light low intensity, or blinking high intensity without the blink - just a steady high intensity. Rears blink, fronts do not. I even tried two different brands of LED front turn lights - Trucklite & Interlog Corp (MFR-OWLD2-12422957). Both give the same results - no blinking. I'm stumped on what to do to resolve this. Suggestions or solutions greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

CGFFEMT

didn't see an answer in this thread, so need to ask. I have an M998 HUMVEE that had perfectly working front and rear bulb turn signals. I swapped out the rear turn signals with LED taillights and they work for running, brake, and blinking turn signal lights. Then after that, i swapped out the front turn signals to LED turn signal lights. They work fine for running lights, but when i turn on the left or right blinkers, they only stay on high intensity with no blinking. So the front LED only work for running light low intensity, or blinking high intensity without the blink - just a steady high intensity. Rears blink, fronts do not. I even tried two different brands of LED front turn lights - Trucklite & Interlog Corp (MFR-OWLD2-12422957). Both give the same results - no blinking. I'm stumped on what to do to resolve this. Suggestions or solutions greatly appreciated.
Probably need the LED blinker - the LEDs draw less current and won't blink correctly without a sufficent load ie either the LED blinker or having an incandesant in the system as you did when you keep the original fronts and LED rears before swapping them all to LED.

bigfishtoys

Probably need the LED blinker - the LEDs draw less current and won't blink correctly without a sufficent load ie either the LED blinker or having an incandesant in the system as you did when you keep the original fronts and LED rears before swapping them all to LED.
thanks for the quick response. I tried on ebay using the 3 key words - LED blinker HMMWV. Got poor results. What key words would you suggest i use to get what i need? Or if you know of an example of one, i can search from there. I'll keep looking in the meantime. thanks!

Dock Rocker

thanks for the quick response. I tried on ebay using the 3 key words - LED blinker HMMWV. Got poor results. What key words would you suggest i use to get what i need? Or if you know of an example of one, i can search from there. I'll keep looking in the meantime. thanks!
A quick and dirty test solution would be to stick an incondesoint bulb in line somewhere in one of the light harnesses. I have had to do that on a few led lit trailers I have picked up over the years. I just stuck it back at the frame and hid it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayo

Trucklite published a document indicating that the root of the problem is the bulb in the turn signal stalk.

A regular bulb allows current to flow in both directions, and when you add LED lights to your truck it can cause current to flow in a reverse direction back into the flasher unit causing the fault.

An LED bulb only allows current to flow in one direction so it eliminated the reverse current back to the flasher.

They have listed a replacement bulb available from DigiKey, but that particular bulb is now obsolete. You could use any of the following bulbs

https://www.digikey.com/products/en...t=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

You could also use any of the other LED bulbs mentioned previously as they will also block the reverse current

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks