• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hmmwv LED question

TurboTarver

I know this has been talked about extensively, but have not been able to find a solution. I just put LED lights on my hmmwv. In stop light mode everything works and flashes as it should. In service drive the taillights and stoplights work just no signals. I have all the grounds hooked up and have the led in the turn signal indicator. This is kinda frustrating. Any Ideas?:deadhorse:

TurboTarver

If the flasher was the problem it wouldn't flash at all right? it flashes fine as long as the headlights aren't on. The only difference that i know of in the flashers is that one works with the load of a incandescent bulb, the other works with no load(LED). Am I right or am i missing some other feature on the LED specific flasher?

fnpurist

Where did you find a led for the turn signal? I'm about to install LEDs on mine and wasn't aware that I'd have to change that. Sorry for the thread jack

DatGuyC

When I switched to the trucklite tail lights and front turn signals I also ran into sorta the same problem. They would work perfect when in tail light only mode but when I had the running lights on the front signals would get brighter when I moved the flasher, but not flash, the rear worked fine. After many hours of testing and frustration it turned out that the rubber isolator they used in the turn signal flasher box was letting current leak between the power in and flasher out wires. It was just enough to only affect the front signals for some reason. Instead of spending a ton of money for a new flasher box I used a Grote 3 wire led flasher unit and connected it directly to the cannon plug and its worked fine ever since. I did have to put an led in the turn signal stalk unit though.

fnpurist

So your saying I can't install a led on my green nartron flasher and that I have to buy a new flasher to get my LED lights to work properly?

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So your saying I can't install a led on my green nartron flasher and that I have to buy a new flasher to get my LED lights to work properly?
Whats a green nartron flasher ?
You talking about the turn signal switch ?

DatGuyC

You have to use a flasher designed for LED's....they ain't cheap.
I used a Grote 44010 and it has had no problems for several months now. I did have to canibalize the old flasher I had for the proper plug into the body harness but the savings are worth it.

http://www.grote.com/products/44010-solid-state-electronic-flasher-3-wire/

The green module on the steering column isnt the actual flasher unit, there is a box under the dash near the firewall that actually flashes the lights. The old design relied on the draw of incandescent lights to make it flash, the low-draw leds dont pull enough to get the old boxes to flash. The led in the steering column module stops back feeding that confuses some newer led flasher boxes. Here is a picture of what a flasher box generally looks like, there are a few different designs out there.

Attachments

Last edited:

fnpurist

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll start trying to source one to buy. How much is the proper one that doesn't require any mods?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks