• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv led tail light replacement bulbs?

Bravojmc

I've looked all over the place for LED replacement bulbs and can seem to find them... I thought I saw somewhere that someone did this but I can't find ****...
anyone...?

Wire Fox

I don't know exactly what ones have the SS stamp of approval, but it would just a BA15S (Bayonet Connector, 15mm, Single Lead) LED bulb that's compatible with 24V, which usually means it has circuitry in it to be an "omnivolt" 12-30V bulb. Also make sure it's of the right brightness to be equivalent to a normal brake light/running light. Lastly, beware of potential turn-signal/hazard flasher issues.

Bravojmc

I don't know exactly what ones have the SS stamp of approval, but it would just a BA15S (Bayonet Connector, 15mm, Single Lead) LED bulb that's compatible with 24V, which usually means it has circuitry in it to be an "omnivolt" 12-30V bulb. Also make sure it's of the right brightness to be equivalent to a normal brake light/running light. Lastly, beware of potential turn-signal/hazard flasher issues.
I'll look into it! Thank you very much for your help!

Bravojmc

well I looked at the ba9s lights on superbrightleds.com and they say 6v or 12v...? What the....?

Wire Fox

well I looked at the ba9s lights on superbrightleds.com and they say 6v or 12v...? What the....?
BA9S bulbs are used in your dashboard and turn signal switch. If you want to change those too, I would recommend buying Alpinetech, as Swamp Donkey did a lot of testing and found those to be the best. I have them installed and they look pretty good, but I haven't driven them at night yet. I know white, red, yellow, and blue are available on eBay right now (make sure you buy 24V, as they have 12V-only bulbs, too).

Remember that you need BA15S bulbs for the marker, turn, and stop lights. Also don't buy them unless it specifically specifies that 24V is within its range, as "omnivolt" is just a common moniker used when it works for multiple power standards, but doesn't really mean anything if the hard specs aren't listed. Those 6/12V lights were probably designed for battery-operated lanterns...

Bravojmc

BA9S bulbs are used in your dashboard and turn signal switch. If you want to change those too, I would recommend buying Alpinetech, as Swamp Donkey did a lot of testing and found those to be the best. I have them installed and they look pretty good, but I haven't driven them at night yet. I know white, red, yellow, and blue are available on eBay right now (make sure you buy 24V, as they have 12V-only bulbs, too).

Remember that you need BA15S bulbs for the marker, turn, and stop lights. Also don't buy them unless it specifically specifies that 24V is within its range, as "omnivolt" is just a common moniker used when it works for multiple power standards, but doesn't really mean anything if the hard specs aren't listed. Those 6/12V lights were probably designed for battery-operated lanterns...
DAM your good! All the info is very helpful! I'll look into them right now! Thank you very much!

papakb

I've run 10-30 volt LEDs in every application in my M996A1 for years now and have never had any problems with them. In the ambulance body the overhead lights draw such low power I don't worry about leaving them on for long periods with the engine shut down. One of the best aspects of running LEDs in trailers is that you can hawl them with anything and not have to worry about changing bulbs between 12 and 24 volt vehicles. Another great thing about using them for your brake lights is that their current draw is so much lower they don't cause much internal arcing in the brake light switch keeping it alive longer.

Stonewall

I really looked into using the LED bulbs. There are lots of web sights that you can take the standard bulb number and it will give you an LED equivalent. I was all set to order them up and then I thought, "why am I spending $5 - $10 a bulb and possibly opening myself up to flasher issues"? For the most part, the standard bulbs are going to last a good long time, and when one burns out (after 2 or 3 years or more), just change it. I did purchase and install LED head lights, but did not think the remaining lights were worth the efforts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks