• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Look alike

pad_cdr

I like it -- kind of reminds me of the rigs made up for the movies in the 60's that showed folks trying to capture African animals live. All you need is a seat on the front fender.

L1A1

I think it looks cool and like others have said, it (also) looks like it would be a fun toy. Although IMHO, it would look even cooler with taller tires (think: M35 wheels & tires).
Matt

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
'Thought the OP said it was built out of a Ford 150? Not sure if it was an "E" or an "F" denoteing either a van or pick-up truck.
Matt

OP; Off topic but,,, Iam picking this up tomorrow chevy FI 350, 4-link rear end,, leaf spring front,, 60 gal fuel,, 30 gal water storage under body

I don't think it's a ford . The OP was refering to the motor being a fuel injected 350.

TedG

It actually looks like an International Scout even though it is not. Fun toy for someone though.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be good for offroading, and fitting in with military vehicles at a rally, but it sure won't have the capabilities of the HMMWV.

I'm not a fan of the hood, too high in front, needs to be like the HMMWV and slope downward.

nattieleather

If I was going to turn a pickup into a hmmwv I would use one of these.

Urban Gorilla 4x4 Bodies - Home

Get a HMMWV hood and you'de do a double take. Of course the solid axles would be a dead give away.

Someone put a lot a work into the one the OP posted and I agree looks like it would be a fun drive.

L1A1

If I was going to turn a pickup into a hmmwv I would use one of these.

Urban Gorilla 4x4 Bodies - Home

Get a HMMWV hood and you'de do a double take. Of course the solid axles would be a dead give away.
That too is also neat. One of the parts dealers in Military vehicles magazine was selling a similar set up a few years back that mounted right up on a full size P/U frame & drive train. Other then the solid axles, the vehicles looked like real HMMWVs. I remember the add but for the life of me, can't remember the dealer's name.
Matt

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some while back, I remember an article (can't remember if it was in a 4x4 magazine or online somewhere) of a gentleman who had a Chevy chassis and engine, and built a nice reproduction HMMWV with a surplus hood, and made the rear body out of 3/4-inch marine-grade plywood. Laugh all you want, but the guy did a professional job making it, and when it was completed it darn looked close to the real thing. Might be an option for those who want the look, but don't have the $$$ for an actual HMMWV.

L1A1

Some while back, I remember an article (can't remember if it was in a 4x4 magazine or online somewhere) of a gentleman who had a Chevy chassis and engine, and built a nice reproduction HMMWV with a surplus hood, and made the rear body out of 3/4-inch marine-grade plywood. Laugh all you want, but the guy did a professional job making it, and when it was completed it darn looked close to the real thing. Might be an option for those who want the look, but don't have the $$$ for an actual HMMWV.
That was in Military Vehicles Magazine and yes, he did an outstanding job. Wasn't he down in Florida?
Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks