• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV M998 Battery Cutoff Switch wire route / location

WAGNUM

I've found a lot of good advice on what brand of battery cutoff switch (I bought a Pollak) to use, but I can't find any examples or photos of how / where guys actually installed the switch on HMMWV (not a 5-ton). Anyone out there have some pictures or advice of how they actually routed the wire and installed the switch on their own HMMWV?

Appreciate the help,

WAGNUM

PS: Just to save time... "I'm dumb, you're smart. I know nothing, you know everything."

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I installed mine on the back of the battery box,hook onto the ground wire.I reached behind the drivers seat by the rear passengers feet to turn it on and off.

fnpurist

Do you have a link to the pollak switch you bought? I'd like to get one of these. It'll be convenient when I'm working on the hmmwv and need the battery disconnected

WAGNUM

Upon further inspection I decided to install the switch near the doghouse on the passenger side because there was already an access hole there from a previously removed (I think demil) piece of radio gear. I know it's out in the open but I figure far enough away a crook would hafta spend some time figurin out what it goes to and for what.

WAGNUM

I decided to mount the cut off switch near the doghouse on the passenger side because there was an access point from a previously removed piece of coms gear. At least this is where I'll put it for now.

tage

IMHO I have always done positive. All the race organizations require it on the pos (+) side.

It's easier to jump the ground then positive. Any thief with two brain cells to rub together will at least know that.

fnpurist

I started installing my switch today. I got 2/0 wire. Do y'all think this is big enough for replacing the ground jumper and for the additional ground jumper?

fnpurist

Ok good deal. Where did you end up mounting yours? The only place I could find room and that made the most sense was right above the angled ledge that is above the slave port

Mike82ndABN

I drilled and mounted my battery shutoff at the rear of the battery box.

I unhooked the two cables going to the slave receptacle, since I don't own another HMMWV and won't be using it to jump start, and used one of them for the additional ground jumper.

I installed a remote controlled cut off on the positive side. It's in the battery compartment, in the void under the seat. I just ran the battery cable to the cutoff, then used a 18" premade battery cable I bought at the parts store to finish up.

It's controlled by a key fob, or has a manual switch if the fob dies.

KansasBobcat

Ok good deal. Where did you end up mounting yours? The only place I could find room and that made the most sense was right above the angled ledge that is above the slave port
Left lower corner back of battery box. There was a hole/knock-out already there. Just needed to drill one additional hole for stud on switch.

fnpurist

I unhooked the two cables going to the slave receptacle, since I don't own another HMMWV and won't be using it to jump start, and used one of them for the additional ground jumper.
I thought about this but wanted to keep the slave receptacle intact just in case. I was wondering if I could mod a slave cable so one side had regular jumper cable clamps so it'd work with non MV's

fnpurist

Left lower corner back of battery box. There was a hole/knock-out already there. Just needed to drill one additional hole for stud on switch.

Yea I had a hole there too with a smaller hole right by it that made me think a cut off switch was installed there previously. The pollak switch I have which is the same one on the other military guys was too tight of a fit for the hole with the switch and 2 big eyelets attached. I'm sure I could've made it work but didn't want the eyelets possibly touching the tunnel or putting a lot of strain on the wires by bending them into that tight spot.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Note:
Slave cable port is a good spot to hookup a 24vdc charger so not having to take seat off.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put a slave cable end on a 24v charger harness .
Slave cable ends are for sale all over.
I have some.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks