• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV M998 Hub Washer Wear

happycamper

After checking and properly torquing my hubs (35#, spin 5x, 5x, 25# and lock) I noticed after a 75 mile highway trip my rear right was slightly warm to the touch whereas my others were ambient temperature. Not hot by any means, just 5-10 degrees warmer than ambient. I disassembled and saw the keyed washer had groves worn on the outside edge of the that sits against the bearing.
IMG_4918.jpg
Note that this hub nut was loose upon original inspection.
Thoughts on if this produced the heat? It's likely I didn't inspect it the first time in detail. Possible my torque wrench was incorrect? New washer is on the way, just want to know if I should check something else. I thought I read somewhere about plastic spacer shims sometimes installed, but I had none, maybe that was just the input seal.

Last edited:

happycamper

Update: my torque wrench was off calibration, so I probably ran it 75 miles over torqued.
Re-serviced and torqued to low end, and even only 18# when it still heats up.
After 22 miles left side hubs are 90-95 degrees. Right side hubs are 110-120 degrees (77 ambient). Running Lucas hub oil as well.
Bearings looked ok on inspections, but since I have no other ideas I will be swapping them out. Will update after that is complete. Any other ideas welcome.

happycamper

Well I finally had the hubs rebuilt - looks like the bearings were slightly damaged. With the new spindle bearings and little adjustment on the drive bearing load they match the others in temperature. Note: Lucas Gear Oil is horribly difficult to wash out of hubs. I sweat that stuff must actually contain honey, I even had ants getting into a used bottle of it.