• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV mechanic near Sacramento, CA?

Haasino

Figure it's a long shot, but it can't hurt to ask...

Does anyone know of a mechanic in or around Sacramento, CA who could do some mechanical/electrical maintenance on a HMMWV? I had a friend's M1044 dropped off in my driveway the other night that's running, but needs a lot more work done than I even come close to knowing how to do. :p

Any recommendations and/or any local members who want to make some extra holiday cash? :cool:

Haasino

If you have an armory or depot nearby perhaps you could inquire if they have anyone interested in helping you. I drive an M998 and have met several local veterans who worked on HMMWVs; they have given me tech tips and offered their services if needed.
Thanks for the recommendation. I've got a guy coming to take a look at it who was a diesel mechanic in the Army and worked on HMMWVs... he should be able to confirm my list of needed repairs, but he's already said he probably won't be able to fix them without proper tools and equipment. That's why I'm trying to find either a business of private party who has the equipment needed.

Haasino

i'll be up there for the next 10 day's or so in modesto, what do you want done to it total re wire?
I'm hoping for the sake of $$$ that it won't require a total replacement of the wiring harnesses, but that's looking like it might be a possibility. Right now, there seems to be a combination of mechanical and electrical issues with the truck...

Probable Mechanical Issues:

- the engine can take up to 30 minutes sitting in Run before it will finally turn over (My suspicion is a wiring or glow plug issue... or both)... it also likes to belch white smoke from the exhaust pipe while it tries to turn over, and I usually have to hold it in Start for up to 8 seconds before it finally kicks over.

- the vehicle is leaking coolant (large leak... forms directly beneath the engine), engine oil (small leak... forms under the middle of the truck), transmission fluid (small leak... forms under the middle of the truck), and diesel fuel (small leak... forms under the fuel tank).

- overall, I don't trust the rebuild the guy my friend bought it from did... so I'd like to have someone familiar with HMMWVs look it over. It might need to be taken to a diesel mechanic at some point for a complete tune-up.

Probable Electrical Issues:

- the Wait light is non-operational... I've plugged it in to the brake light to test it, and it illuminates, so it seems to be a wiring issue

- the stop lights are non-operational... The rear tail lights illuminate in service drive, and the hazards work, but there are no brake lights under any light setting

- the air restrictor gauge is missing... Evidentally the guy who rebuilt the truck felt it wasn't necessary. :(

- the horn is non-operational... or possibly not even installed... yet another part the guy who rebuilt this thing felt wasn't necessary. aua

- my friend paid to have the guy install a military tachometer... so he installed the tach, but left the wires just lying unattached inside the engine compartment. I can probably fix that issue, but I can't find any schematics showing where it plugs in.

Aside from all that, though, she's in great shape, heh! :driver:

If you're in Modesto and wouldn't mind making a quick trip up to Sacto, I'd love to get a second opinion from someone who knows a lot more about these Humvees than I do.

PM me if you're interested and we can talk details.