• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Mechanic

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the same issue around here. There are certain things that I know will quickly get over my head. For example, alignment. I think the IP would be another. Plus anything that requires welding, which I cannot do.

What I did is call around to every shop that specializes in diesels. Most don't want to touch them because they cannot use the book to judge the hours/cost estimates for the job.

So if you do find a shop willing to take on a particular job, it would not be unexpected for them to ask you to order the parts. They might also not give you any estimate and just charge you a flat open ended hourly rate.

For example, I was looking for help getting out two stuck, destroyed, glow plugs and only found one shop in the area willing to do it. They wanted to remove both heads and send them out to a machine shop to have the glow plugs removed. Who knows what else they might run into. It would cost less to have have the engine swapped IMHO. So I am running with two bad glow plugs .

Eventually, I will have to located a good 6.5 NA engine and find someone to swap them - if I can. I have no help and no place to do such a big job and I think I would get over my head.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the pump is a standyne. See if you have an authorized dealer/rebuilder in your area. Check their website?

For example in New Orleans, Stewart & Steveson is a dealer for them.
No clue as to what coin they would charge you, but at least you can get a reference point.