• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Mods and Improvements

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One other mod I forgot to mention. Keyed ignition switch. It operates a heavy duty 24 volt relay to disconnect the batteries when off. I always leave my light switch in the drive position with this setup and never forget to turn them on

20200507_181728.jpg

20200507_181645.jpg.

Gamble

One other mod I forgot to mention. Keyed ignition switch. It operates a heavy duty 24 volt relay to disconnect the batteries when off. I always leave my light switch in the drive position with this setup and never forget to turn them on

View attachment 799155

View attachment 799156.
Where did you find the keyed ignition switch? I bought the Fuel Cut-Off switch kit from Black Dog Customs for added security. I think I like this more than the regular key ignition you see all over the internet which people say is an electrical risk to the vehicle.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you find the keyed ignition switch? I bought the Fuel Cut-Off switch kit from Black Dog Customs for added security. I think I like this more than the regular key ignition you see all over the internet which people say is an electrical risk to the vehicle.
It's just a generic keyed switch; Off-On-Start. It only controls the solenoid that powers the vehicle by interrupting the battery circuit. Once the switch is on, you start it with the normal start switch.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone interested in a thread with pictures of mods and improvements that they have made on their trucks? Someone may see something that they like and be able to contact that individual about getting info and fabricating it for their truck. I've had guys ask about a couple that I did and am always looking for other projects too.
"MODS" and "IMPROVEMENTS" are taboo on this site, everyone knows the HMMWV was PERFECT ever since the day it was created.....

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's just a generic keyed switch; Off-On-Start. It only controls the solenoid that powers the vehicle by interrupting the battery circuit. Once the switch is on, you start it with the normal start switch.
So, does this solenoid act as a battery disconnect also... relieving any drainage problems??? Whats the solenoid you used by chance? Thanks

Ocho

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, does this solenoid act as a battery disconnect also... relieving any drainage problems??? Whats the solenoid you used by chance? Thanks

Ocho
Absolutely. The solenoid is in the positive wire and totally disconnects power to the truck. i used a continuous duty 24 volt, 200 amp solenoid.

shoveldead

Here are a couple of mods I made to mine. Wanted to keep the overall look as stock as possible. Added surefire helmet light to back of overhead tach bracket, shines perfectly on the area behind the shifter to light it up at night. I also added Axe brackets from the door of an S series shelter to my 4 man cargo divider that holds my max ax perfectly and gives me the ability to lock it up. When I installed the mile marker winches on the front and rear I also installed two plugs where the single plug normally goes. If I want to use the front winch I plug into the top plug if I want to use the rear winch I plug into the bottom plug. No worry about overtaxing the system or running both at once because I only have one controller.

Attachments

dangood

New dash design finally installed! Inspired from the F-16 jet cockpit, all aluminum and stainless, tig welded. The idea was to update the hmmwv dash and console with a newer modern look and use of some modern tech, while still keeping the 3 lever light switch pod and original start switch and dash lights, and overall military look and style in the fabrication process including the use of rivets, form press bending, and customisable layout for different setups, radios, switches and improving where ac and heat vents run and allow better position of these vents for better comfort and look. New digital Gauges were positioned center in front of steering wheel, but original gauges can still be used, but wanted to take advantage of modern gauge cluster.
It came out better than expected, and very pleased with final fit and feel. Using a iPad mini for the center HUD that is awesome for GPS and off-road maps and communication. Dash middle console Also allows for rear seat vents, and lots of cup holders. :) Building 5 more over the next 6 weeks for other people with Humvees, will send pics when finished. Thanks for all the support!BBEEA47E-001C-4ADF-A1A1-11B50389D9B1.jpegBBEEA47E-001C-4ADF-A1A1-11B50389D9B1.jpeg6F42ADCF-1987-489E-A988-A92FC1DBD49F.jpegBBEEA47E-001C-4ADF-A1A1-11B50389D9B1.jpeg91A68CEB-7992-4551-933E-A82E856FE448.jpeg3A449171-7EB5-4C5A-827D-F3131B75403F.jpeg08F8721B-C9E4-4873-8C09-FECA846F29C2.jpeg8ECC486A-CC17-492D-AF53-AD91371D9BA4.jpegF173D2FF-F543-419F-8187-673F04D39C37.jpeg6F42ADCF-1987-489E-A988-A92FC1DBD49F.jpegC19A30DD-8FE8-4C14-9443-D9E2766B49CA.jpegF2E1EE67-0637-4C56-AC21-058DEFD0FE24.jpeg06AE222E-601E-4BA3-A16E-17BD518C3D68.jpeg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
New dash design finally installed! Inspired from the F-16 jet cockpit, all aluminum and stainless, tig welded. The idea was to update the hmmwv dash and console with a newer modern look and use of some modern tech, while still keeping the 3 lever light switch pod and original start switch and dash lights, and overall military look and style in the fabrication process including the use of rivets, form press bending, and customisable layout for different setups, radios, switches and improving where ac and heat vents run and allow better position of these vents for better comfort and look. New digital Gauges were positioned center in front of steering wheel, but original gauges can still be used, but wanted to take advantage of modern gauge cluster.
It came out better than expected, and very pleased with final fit and feel. Using a iPad mini for the center HUD that is awesome for GPS and off-road maps and communication. Dash middle console Also allows for rear seat vents, and lots of cup holders. :) Building 5 more over the next 6 weeks for other people with Humvees, will send pics when finished. Thanks for all the support!View attachment 803735View attachment 803735View attachment 803745View attachment 803735View attachment 803736View attachment 803738View attachment 803740View attachment 803742View attachment 803744View attachment 803745View attachment 803746View attachment 803747View attachment 803748
Awesome job! When will mine be finished?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It came out better than expected, and very pleased with final fit and feel. Using a iPad mini for the center HUD that is awesome for GPS and off-road maps and communication. Dash middle console Also allows for rear seat vents, and lots of cup holders. :) Building 5 more over the next 6 weeks for other people with Humvees, will send pics when finished. Thanks for all the support!View attachment 803735View attachment 803735View attachment 803745View attachment 803735View attachment 803736View attachment 803738View attachment 803740View attachment 803742View attachment 803744View attachment 803745View attachment 803746View attachment 803747View attachment 803748
Awesome and will you publish the plans? Also, in case of engine issue, can you remove the doghouse to make repairs?

robmcmichael

View attachment 799155

View attachment 799156.
Ok, I got a keyed ignition switch like yours installed and had left it on overnight by accident and now my rig wont start. I have tried everything from batteries to slaving in another PCB/GPC setup. What am I missing because I have a solenoid just like yours?

BLK HMMWV

Ok, I got a keyed ignition switch like yours installed and had left it on overnight by accident and now my rig wont start. I have tried everything from batteries to slaving in another PCB/GPC setup. What am I missing because I have a solenoid just like yours?
Is it in gear?
What transmission is in it?
Does it have a park position.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have enough voltage to energize the relay? Try a jumper wire over the relay contacts or hook the battery wires up like original.

robmcmichael

Is it in gear?
What transmission is in it?
Does it have a park position.
It is in neutral with parking brake engaged because I have a 3 speed with no park. I think it may be just a battery issue because it was completely dead when I took it to autozone to get it fully charged. The acid in it may be too low to hold a charge for too long. I do keep it on a trickle charger. I though that would have been enough. Any sugggestions?

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would probably get this issue out of the MODS and Improvement thread and start a new thread with your title of choice.. "I left my key on all night, and now my HMMWV wont start.....HELP" That might work 😁

robmcmichael

I would probably get this issue out of the MODS and Improvement thread and start a new thread with your title of choice.. "I left my key on all night, and now my HMMWV wont start.....HELP" That might work 😁
Yeah probably would work better. I just saw someone with the same item i had installed and thought he might have some insights.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks