• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV odd smoking problem.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it were me, I would do an injector pump....but as stated, could be bad valve guides seals, but that usually goes away once warm. Has it always done this since you brought it home? Or did it start doing it after you did something like changing a fuel filter? What model pump do you have? Read it off the left side of the pump.
if you smell the smoke, unburnt diesel has a particular smell...oil has its own smell.
the stuttering sound like air being introduced into the injection system...but that can very well be a bad pump.

vitamink

I think it has always done it but i was focused on other things. I don't think it smells like oil, but this is my first diesel so i don't really know what it should or shouldn't smell like. I wish i had a new one to compare it to. Could it be timing?

I took it out just after filming the video and it didn't stutter while i drove it around which is odd as it usually stuttered occasionally while at stop lights. As i drove through the neighborhood there was some smoke, but not near as much as last time. From the video you'll see the smoke but its not near as bad as it was a few days ago. It's sort of annoying that it's not smoking when i want it to. What's odd is it stutters more in this video than it ever has. Usually its just like a stutter or two. if you fast forward to 1:11 you can hear the thunk sound it makes and the change in the amount of exhaust that comes out. If you FF to 1:28 it kind of has a fit, and i've never heard it do the stutter that many times in a row. Once every so often is normal for it, not several times in a row. That being said, it ran like a top and didn't' stutter at all while i was driving it around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t9QtpiUWbo

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
looks like the yellow light never shut off ?
Was it warmed up already, because it started up quick ?

vitamink

It always starts up pretty fast. The yellow light shuts off right at 0:11. I believe it was started in the afternoon and the last time it ran was 6pm the night before. Thanks again for the great deal on the injectors it runs a lot better now. the injector pump says "stanadyne" and has 12555697 and then d82-831-5209. There are a couple numbers before the d82 but i can't read them.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First of all....that's not alot of smoke, I also dont here the stutter, but its hard to tell from the video, but now that your Injectors are done and we know that's not it....it's the pump or heads. The engine in my M1045 build upon firing it up smoked and stuttered....put new heads on and it runs with no smoke, the low end of the truck was mint....the valve seals were shot, I had an extra set of heads laying around and used them. At this point if I were you, take the truck to a shop and have them perform compression testing, unless you have the tools. I think the valve seals can be replaced in the truck, its all a teal pita.....then there's going back to the guy you bought it from.

Army Kid

Banned
Is the stuttering odd, or is that "normal"? Do other hmmwv smoke a bunch in the beginning but then calm down later on?
Try checking / adjusting the IP timing before tearing into anything. Make sure your idle RPM is set correctly also. (too low & it'll stumble) If you don't have a diesel timer (& RPM sensor), go to a shop & have it checked.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have stated the engine was NOS, but what does that mean? DRMO motor? I assume so....but those DRMO motors are removed for many reason...depot reset programs, blown motors etc...it's possible this motor was bad from the get go.
I don't know the history....have you asked your seller?
take it to a shop and have compression test done....timing on these motors is really quite simple, just line up the marks on the pump and block....rotate towards drivers side for advance, passenger side for retard....I have always just set them dead center and never had an issue....I have seen where the pump was not installed ccorrectly and aligned with correct oval hole on the timing gear....but I think it would be even worse of an issue....buy easy to check.
remove the oil fill spout and use a mirror to look to see if the injector pump,stud is in the oval hole....there are 2 holes in that shaft plate...and one is round....it does not go in the round hole....it must go in the oval hole.
if you cannot see or, rotate the engine by grabbing and rotating the fan blade, or a deep dish socket on the crank pulley.
It don't take much to bring it around 370deg to check it....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks