• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV paint selection

coastaldefense

Good morning!
I've been using these forums for months as we rebuild my first M998 (1990, w/6.5 upgrade).
It's almost time to paint, and reading hundreds of threads, I see lots of guys using Behr paint.
My question is, why? Is it an availability thing, or just a preferred method? We've got a parade coming up here in Jax Beach, FL in about 3 weeks, so I'd like to have her showered and dressed by then.
I have commercial accounts at all the paint shops, including access to industrial paints, as well as automotive finishes.
In the event its just availability, I can solve that for me. Or, do guys just like that product?
In our business, we HATE Behr paint. It doesn't flow well, doesn't apply right, and a multitude of other problems in our world.
Just looking for some feedback from anyone who's used this method, and why.

Thanks so much, have a great week!
Dave

jake-cutter

I looked at Behr, Rapco, and Sherwin Williams CARC. In the end I went with the CARC as it was original and more durable. Its a little thick and requires a large tip or thinning with water but goes on great and matches the original texture. If you don't have a Sherwin Williams Product Finishes near by, they will ship.

Only thing I have a gripe about is that the Tan shows dirt very easy and being textured takes a minute to clean off.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
People use Behr because it is cheap and you don't have to pay expensive hazmat shipping.

Wire Fox

Good morning!
I've been using these forums for months as we rebuild my first M998 (1990, w/6.5 upgrade).
It's almost time to paint, and reading hundreds of threads, I see lots of guys using Behr paint.
My question is, why? Is it an availability thing, or just a preferred method? We've got a parade coming up here in Jax Beach, FL in about 3 weeks, so I'd like to have her showered and dressed by then.
I have commercial accounts at all the paint shops, including access to industrial paints, as well as automotive finishes.
In the event its just availability, I can solve that for me. Or, do guys just like that product?
In our business, we HATE Behr paint. It doesn't flow well, doesn't apply right, and a multitude of other problems in our world.
Just looking for some feedback from anyone who's used this method, and why.

Thanks so much, have a great week!
Dave
This topic really would go farther in the paint section, but I'm pretty sure it came down to being able to match the color well, being affordable, and being available. Gillespie paints seems to make a better non-CARC product, but was much more expensive. The truest, most authentic solution is to just make use of CARC, but that's incredibly expensive. You pretty much won't have to repaint your HMMWV ever again if you did that...

Sintorion

I went with Sherwin Williams CARC type 2. They stock it at Sherwin Williams on Powers Av. That is the only place in Jax you can find it. I just had mine painted with it about 2 weeks ago and worked well. Where in Jax are you?

ryanruck

Like jake, I'm going the Sherwin Williams CARC route. I picked it up early last year but just ran out of time and energy to paint before the weather got cold.

I decided to go that route for the same reasons. It's a durable paint.

Also after talking with jake and what he learned about it, you can actually thin it sufficiently with no detriment to get a smoother texture than the original CARC.

I've also used Behr but not on my body. I used it to paint a new white vinyl top green and refurb my original soft doors. I figured it being latex it was much better suited to the soft surfaces and since it's exterior grade will offer UV protection for the vinyl. Have had those painted for the last 8 months and on the truck since early October. The color still looks great but, granted my truck spends its downtime sheltered. It does scratch and wear. I've got a sizable mark from a tree branch on one door and some rub marks on some parts of the top, especially where the top slides into the track, even using soapy water to install it. I put 4 coats on but am going to add some more.

coastaldefense

Hey Sintorian- I'm in Jax Beach. I own a small HVAC business, and construction company here off 9th St South. The HMMWV is always parked here, since this is where I spend most of my life.
It was actually my Sherwin Williams paint rep who suggested other options, and he owes me 20 gallons of paint. I figured this would be the time to call in the favor....
The opening of the Beaches parade is on the 30th, and I'm hoping to have my fleet participate this year. We've been talking about it for years, but haven't pulled the trigger. It's only good for branding, but since I'm starting another FFL business here, this would be the right time to get the name out, and a freshly painted M998 rolling the street should bring some recognition.
So far, it seems to be an availability issue to go the HD route. If that's truly the case, then I'll stick to what I know with industrial coatings, because we've got the machines and ability to apply it correctly.
My SW rep likes to come check out the truck, so I can order it from him, AND have him deliver!

Sintorion

I looked at the Behr paint, but just couldn't bring myself to using house paint. It could be perfectly good and well, but it would have all ways been in my head. I had a guy on Philips Hwy paint mine. He complained about how fast it dried and joked that he was spraying powder. He did a decent job for what I paid. I am happy with the paint so the extra $40 or so that it cost to go with SW over HD for me was worth it. If I was painting a thousand of these, I might think different. What did it for me with the SW was when I called they had it in stock and said that they go through it quickly because of orders from Camp Blanding.

Next time I am down in Jax beach I will stop by. I have seen a camo hmmwv around Ft Caroline. Not sure if that is you. I am sure there are not many in the area.

coastaldefense

I'm usually here from 8am-6, 7, sometimes midnight! Swing by whenever you have time.
My house is off Ft Caroline, it was probably mine! Live right off Girvin and Wonderwood.

I like the fact that SW will stand behind their products, regardless of who made them. I got a defective batch of epoxy from Color Wheel years ago, and they refused to make it right. Cost me a complete set of concrete countertops for a customer, and they wouldn't even show up to look at it. SW has warrantied some roofing products they sold me, as the product was good, but there was a mistake in the installation instructions. No questions, just provided additional product to repair it. Since I'm nearing $20k in this build, a few hundred more for paint isn't really going to hurt my feelings. Plus, I only want to do it once. If you don't have time to do it right first, how will you find time to repair it?

Bravojmc

Understand... I like them too. After selling my first I regretted it! After 12 years of looking for another and finally got another M998, I'm going to keep it! FOREVER! That's not saying I'll get an additional turbo truck down the road.

kapkanimd

Hi Guys, sorry to resurrect the thread, but I am trying to figure out which black to use for touch up (actually I need to paint a tan X-door to the camo pattern). I already have the green and brown spray cans from Rapco which I use, but I forgot to order black. Looking at their website, they dont have a CARC substitute black so I am guessing that I can likely use readily available paint locally. Any recommendations?

Since I am mentioning it, I have a new can of the Rapco CARC tan which I accidentally ordered if anybody needs it or maybe would trade for a black.

Ddk2001

I have the rapco black carc sub and I honestly believe that any flat black will match just as good.
I have the rapco flat black (gallon) and tried a touch up with an off the shelf rattle can flat black enamel and it's not a perfect match. It's close - so if you're painting all the black with an off the shelf product - I think you're fine.

and - the Rapco CARC "Substitute" is nothing more than a reference to the color. It's an enamel paint. They don't have a "CARC Substitute" flat black because it's the same as their flat black.

Last edited:

kapkanimd

thank you for the replies, I was just going to use it to paint the x-doors to match the original CARC.. I am sure it wont be a great match, but the rapco I used for the other colors seemed to blend pretty well. I will check out walmart and other hardware stores and see what looks like it may work. maybe get a few and try different ones.

cucvegas

I just called Sherwin Williams Automotive Finishes, and they said they've never heard of CARC paint. Is there a product number and color code to ask for?

Thanks!