• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV paint selection

ryanruck

I just called Sherwin Williams Automotive Finishes, and they said they've never heard of CARC paint. Is there a product number and color code to ask for?

Thanks!
No surprise their Automotive Finishes division hasn't heard of it. It's a product of their Military Coatings division. :mrgreen:

Here is the info on the one(s) you want. You should be able to print up one of the product data sheets (PDS) listed for any of the colors (they're all the same) and take that in to your local Sherwin Williams and have them look it up in their system. It should also be available in single gallons, and not cases of gallons either.

The local Sherwin Williams store probably won't be able to sell it direct to you but should be able to order it for you so it can be purchased at the nearest distribution center.

mutt1966

You should ask the S/W's dealer if there is one of there stores that deals in Industrial Coatings near by, they will lnow what it is, thats what I did and had no problem purchasing it... Scott O&O

Sintorion

It is sold through the OEM coatings division no other SW will have a clue. You can find locations here - http://oem.sherwin-williams.com/locations

The two you will find most common are Type 2 and Type 9. Type 2 is the water based. Type 9 is solvent based. Type 2 dries super fast and is probably the flattest paint I have ever seen. As my painter said "I had to keep the gun close because it dried before it even hit the surface and I thought I was spraying dust". When I was looking at the paint, I ask what the local military base used. They said "Type 2 and they buy it by the pallet". That made my decision easy.

Last edited:

ryanruck

It is sold through the OEM coatings division no other SW will have a clue. You can find locations here - http://oem.sherwin-williams.com/locations

The two you will find most common are Type 2 and Type 9. Type 2 is the water based. Type 9 is solvent based. Type 2 dries super fast and is probably the flattest paint I have ever seen. As my painter said "I had to keep the gun close because it dried before it even hit the surface and I thought I was spraying dust". When I was looking at the paint, I ask what the local military base used. They said "Type 2 and they buy it by the pallet". That made my decision easy.
Just curious, did your guy spray it on undiluted?

cucvegas

Is the color Green 383?

The SW Industrial Coatings guy said it needed a catalyst (hardener) mixed 2 to 1. Do you all use a hardener?

Hardener is $204/gal and paint is $198/gal plus need to FedEx ship it.

Wire Fox

That sounds way out of line. Sounds like the older, two part stuff. There should be another one where you just need the right primer on any bare metal, then you can spray water-based CARC straight onto it. I think it would be just under $100/gal

It is 383 green, though.
Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

ryanruck

Yes, undiluted. It took some adjustments to get it to spray properly, but it worked.
That's what I figured. Diluted, even a little, is much easier to work with.

Is the color Green 383?

The SW Industrial Coatings guy said it needed a catalyst (hardener) mixed 2 to 1. Do you all use a hardener?

Hardener is $204/gal and paint is $198/gal plus need to FedEx ship it.
The new water based stuff does still need the catalyst. No hardener though.

And that price is way out of line. When I got mine (a year and a half ago) they sold me the paint at $60/gallon and the catalyst at $80. Now, I did hear from someone in Texas that said they couldn't get it for what I got mine but it wasn't nearly as expensive as they're quoting you. And, if you can, I would try to pick it up in person so you don't get charged any hazmat fees shipping.

I'd stop by your local SW store and have them pull it up in their system with the code and ask them what the wholesale price is. It's right there in their system. I saw it as I was sitting with the guy at my local store in his office. Don't recall what it was per gallon wholesale though...

Last edited:

cucvegas

I just called another location of SW and they said they can't sell CARC without a military contract. So, its making GCI at $40/gal look like the next best way to go.

Is the GCI (34094 CARC substitute) from Rapco a poor substitute?

Thanks!

ryanruck

I just called another location of SW and they said they can't sell CARC without a military contract. So, its making GCI at $40/gal look like the next best way to go.

Thanks!
And they're absolutely full of crap. Tell them to call Assistant Manager Jason Brown at store 1388 for how to order it in their system. He's the one who helped me get it ordered. Hopefully he's still there.

The Rapco is a good paint but it will have a different luster than the CARC. Color is also slightly different. A local buddy with a HMMWV did his truck in it. We've had our trucks side by side and and you can tell his paint is different from mine. Not better, not worse, just different and I think they both look good.

I've done some of the piece parts on my truck in Rapco and they're side by side with body parts that were done in CARC. I would say the CARC is more "sage" tone and the Rapco is more "vibrant" compared to it. Here's a pic of 3 different Green 383s next to each other. Rapco on the center dash piece, CARC on the air box, and Monstaliner Green 383 bedliner on the doghouse.

20170823211401-be654982-me.jpg

Here's another comparison shot:

20170823211357-aee68b70-me.jpg

The slight difference isn't a huge deal to me but, it could be to some folks.

I've also noticed the Rapco tends to "mellow" a little bit and become slightly less vibrant with a little environmental exposure.

The Rapco is a much closer match to my Ibis Tek bumper:

20170823211404-a2e156ce-me.jpg

Last edited:

Sintorion

Thanks!
My suggestion would be to call the SW in Jacksonville on Powers Ave. and ask for the paint that they sell to Camp Blanding. Sounds like you are having it shipped anyway so it shouldn't make a difference. They sold me the same type 2 paint that they sell them and it was about $100 a gallon and did not need any additive. The type 9 needs the catalyst. The type 2 is water based and you could spray it right out of the can. I bought 2 gallons (one more than I needed) and it was $100 per gallon. I think they used some other account, but I didn't ask. I told them I was paying cash and they offered the price. If I kept the receipt, I would share it, but I literally just walked in and asked for CARC paint and they offered what they sell to Camp Blanding.

ryanruck

My suggestion would be to call the SW in Jacksonville on Powers Ave. and ask for the paint that they sell to Camp Blanding. Sounds like you are having it shipped anyway so it shouldn't make a difference. They sold me the same type 2 paint that they sell them and it was about $100 a gallon and did not need any additive. The type 9 needs the catalyst. The type 2 is water based and you could spray it right out of the can. I bought 2 gallons (one more than I needed) and it was $100 per gallon. I think they used some other account, but I didn't ask. I told them I was paying cash and they offered the price. If I kept the receipt, I would share it, but I literally just walked in and asked for CARC paint and they offered what they sell to Camp Blanding.
He definitely needs the catalyst.

2017-12-01_23-48-10.jpg

2017-12-01_23-49-36.jpg

Sintorion

Odd, I didn't use the catalyst with mine. I specifically asked the guys at SW and they said type 2 did not need a catalyst. Maybe I got type 9 and confused water based with 'moisture cured'? In any case whatever I bought was what the local National guard was buying and the other type wasn't stocked anywhere on the east coast.

Last edited: