• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV phantom start

Army Kid

Banned
So, I buy this 1985 HMMWV (sn in the 500's, so this one is super antique) & the batteries go dead in the parking lot of the title company. The prev owner gives it a boost to get me rolling. Upon getting home, I immediately install 2x new deep cycle 1000CCA batteries. For a couple months, no issues, starts very strong and runs perfect, except 2-times I jump in & try to start, and I get nothing, not even a click. Just the wait light comes on, goes out, then turn the lever...and silence. I figured I had a neutral switch going bad. After some jiggling and shifting of the levers, it started up again.
Now, 3-weeks into a long list of repairs (transfercase cooling loop, driveshaft rebuild, fuel tank parts rebuild, etc..) I go to bleed the new fuel lines up thru the filter housing. With the controller wire unplugged (per the TM) A few cranks of the starter, and fuel comes out the bleeder...cool.
A day later, I get the exhaust back on & try to start it up for real. Turn to run position (not cranking position) and the starter takes off ! Yikes, I quickly turn back to off, try again, same deal. I start checking wiring, etc. No issue found. Try a 3rd time, wait light comes on, goes back off, bit relieved it didn't ghost start again...but still wondering WTF. Try to start it & get a bunch of loud clicks like the batteries are dead. (they are fully charged up) Try a 4th time... nothing, just silence now. Expecting that the relay in the PCB is cooked.
Any good leads on PCBs ?
Is the best one to get the KDS 6110-01-491-2142 (green label) ?
(mine is a 6110-01-292-6532 PN 12339517 - Nartron Corp)
Many thanks.

Army Ed

we stock and use 01-491-2152. this comes with a new glow plug controller as well. Hope it works out for you. id check the switch itself as well....you never know

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get rid of that old Nartron.
SSI is good, KDS green and Yellow with sensor is good.
Nartron new style has a yellow label and takes the same sensor as the Yellow KDS.
There is a KDS white label out there, and a KDS smart start also.

Army Kid

Banned
Thanks guys. I've got a new 01-542-7901 KDS box coming. Supposed to be one of the latest/greatest and not the one that burns your truck down or starts up without you in it.
Will know this weekend if the demons are fixed once again.

Army Kid

Banned
we stock and use 01-491-2152. this comes with a new glow plug controller as well. Hope it works out for you. id check the switch itself as well....you never know
Hey Ed, if you have any 01-491-2152 for sale, could you PM me pricing? I may be interested in a backup unit. Thanks!!

Army Ed

ya i cant really sell any of this stuff...i would get fired being i work for the DoD..lol..now if it were older stuff we were throwing away then there would be a strong possibilty,but HUMVEE stuff we still use frequently due to their lack of reliability

Army Kid

Banned
Get rid of that old Nartron.
SSI is good, KDS green and Yellow with sensor is good.
Nartron new style has a yellow label and takes the same sensor as the Yellow KDS.
There is a KDS white label out there, and a KDS smart start also.
Yeah the new one I picked up was the KDS smart start, comes with the temp sensor.. however, it does not come with the sensor cable, so I am left with a wait light blinking & taunting me: "haha, you cant start your truck like you planned to"
Now I gotta find a temp sensor cable.

Army Kid

Banned
The temp sensor wiring is part of the engine wiring harness......

I think I got it figured... the 3rd connector on the smart start PCB threw me and made me think the 3rd connector was supposed to hook up to the new sensor it came with, but I have no cable for that 3rd connector. But, per this handy link, looks like its for some kind of data logger function.
I'll hook up the new sensor and give it a shot tomorrow.
As for the data logger connector...now I'd like to find how to get the data logger that plugs in to it.

Here is the link that tells all about the smart start, handy info.
G503.com Message Forums • View topic - brand new PCB box out

Army Kid

Banned
New PCB installed. Truck now cranks...and cranks...and cranks... no ignition. **** thing always started instantly before I dropped the fuel tank & replaced everything made of rubber. New PCB & new glow plugs & new GPC & new filter... fuel shooting out of the filter bleed.
Still nothin but smelly white diesel fuel cloud coming out of the pipe.
Well, at least it cranks now.

jwaller

Are you getting the glow plug cycle when you turn the switch to run? batt volts drop into the yellow and then pulse after about 10 seconds?

Army Kid

Banned
Are you getting the glow plug cycle when you turn the switch to run? batt volts drop into the yellow and then pulse after about 10 seconds?
Nope, I get the wait light for a few seconds, then it goes out. The voltage is not dropping, so for some reason the GPs are not cycling any current...
PCB is brand new smart start which came with new GPC. GPs are the recommended non-swell ones.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Box could be bad...but i had that once when I changed a box....I added a ground wire from one of the PCB bolts, and went to the Gen. ground lug.
It worked after that. Sometimes when light just flashes...turn it off, wait about 2 minutes, then try again.
These trucks should have a bunch of ground wires added .
Due to the age of these...corrosion usally causes electrical issues.

hummer4x4guy

Did you unhook the batteries before you intalled the new pcb? Id also add the grounding kit from kascar while you are at it if you have not added it yet.
Joel

Army Kid

Banned
Did you unhook the batteries before you intalled the new pcb? Id also add the grounding kit from kascar while you are at it if you have not added it yet.
Joel
Hi, Thanks for the reply. Yup, batteries were both at Autozone getting charged when I hooked up the new box. I checked the ground from the PCB to the glow plug & had like 2ohms, so I doubt thats it, but I shelled out the $80 for the Kascar harness (wish I had time to make one, thats kinda a ripoff). I hope by some miracle thats it.

Army Kid

Banned
Box could be bad...but i had that once when I changed a box....I added a ground wire from one of the PCB bolts, and went to the Gen. ground lug.
It worked after that. Sometimes when light just flashes...turn it off, wait about 2 minutes, then try again.
These trucks should have a bunch of ground wires added .
Due to the age of these...corrosion usally causes electrical issues.
Hi, thanks. I hope its not the new box... but I borrowed a good one off a friend of mine, so I'll try that this week when I get a few mins. Frustrating that the truck always started right up on the old box until the PCB start relay welded itself closed. Now with the old box it trys to crank in the 'on' position. With the new box, I can only start the truck when it is warm outside. Once warm, the thing fires right up. (no thanks to the brand new cold glowplugs). :-?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks