• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Power Steering Cooler Fitting

dk8019

Well there's one fitting on my HMMWV that isn't right. I got the truck hot enough farting around the farm to blow this off. Basically what they've done he is pressed a rubber hose onto a 37 degree hydraulic fitting, clearly not the right thing. What size fitting is suppose to be here, and does anyone know the thread pattern and the hose size off the top of their head? The truck is six hours away, and I want to have the right parts on hand when I get back down in a few weeks.

2016-12-25 15.17.20.jpg

Action

Isnt the p/s cooler on the low pressure side? Can you post a wider pic? The only threaded fittings on my cooler sre the oil lines.

TedG

Don't remember the fitting size. That is the fan clutch bulk head fitting located on the fan shroud. That is how it is suppose to look. With a high quality clamp, it should not come off, and of course that the ID of the hose is correct. Make sure you have the correct hose for pressure and compatible with atf.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every one of the GP trucks needs new hoses, especially the PS hoses...I've had 10 of them so far and everyone one of them has had brittle lines, loose clamps etc, I have had fuel leaks as well. So now I replace pretty much everything rubber.
i had a Cadillac valve hose fail from the PS pump while I was in it at idle, pissed ATF everywhere...that was the last straw.
im glad it did it while I was on the shop driveway....all I heard was the whine of the PS pump get worse and worse, luckily it didn't fry the pump. With your cold wheather, I would be checking all your hose clamp fittings, see if you can turn the hose while clamped, I f you can, that hose is done for, you may be able to remove it and cut and inch off, but usually the hose is to far gone and requires fresh rubber.

Stonewall

I cannot remember the thread size for sure, but I believe it is 1/4" male NPT (pipe thread). The hose is 3/8" ID. You could get a brass elbow with 3/8" hose barb and 1/4" male npt, and then also a 3/8" hose barb elbow with 3/8" npt from any home improvement box store. the thread is either 1/4" or 3/8" male npt, but pretty sure 1/4".

Well there's one fitting on my HMMWV that isn't right. I got the truck hot enough farting around the farm to blow this off. Basically what they've done he is pressed a rubber hose onto a 37 degree hydraulic fitting, clearly not the right thing. What size fitting is suppose to be here, and does anyone know the thread pattern and the hose size off the top of their head? The truck is six hours away, and I want to have the right parts on hand when I get back down in a few weeks.

View attachment 661617

dk8019

I cannot remember the thread size for sure, but I believe it is 1/4" male NPT (pipe thread). The hose is 3/8" ID. You could get a brass elbow with 3/8" hose barb and 1/4" male npt, and then also a 3/8" hose barb elbow with 3/8" npt from any home improvement box store. the thread is either 1/4" or 3/8" male npt, but pretty sure 1/4".
Perfect, I compared it to another shot with my finger in the picture, and I'm fairly sure it's 1/4" NPT. Found a right angle version for $4.50 with free shipping on Amazon, we'll see if it fits.

Every one of the GP trucks needs new hoses, especially the PS hoses...I've had 10 of them so far and everyone one of them has had brittle lines, loose clamps etc, I have had fuel leaks as well. So now I replace pretty much everything rubber.
i had a Cadillac valve hose fail from the PS pump while I was in it at idle, pissed ATF everywhere...that was the last straw.
im glad it did it while I was on the shop driveway....all I heard was the whine of the PS pump get worse and worse, luckily it didn't fry the pump. With your cold wheather, I would be checking all your hose clamp fittings, see if you can turn the hose while clamped, I f you can, that hose is done for, you may be able to remove it and cut and inch off, but usually the hose is to far gone and requires fresh rubber.
The hoses themselves are in good shape from what I've seen.

Don't remember the fitting size. That is the fan clutch bulk head fitting located on the fan shroud. That is how it is suppose to look. With a high quality clamp, it should not come off, and of course that the ID of the hose is correct. Make sure you have the correct hose for pressure and compatible with atf.
I would agree, but instead of using a right angle pipe fitting to a hose barb it goes to a 3/8" hydraulic flare fitting. The hose just can't fit over it, and the clamping surface is tiny!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks