• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv problem starting

Overboard

I have 1045a2 6.5 non turbo, first start up is nothing but cranking and finally it will turn over, if I kill it and try to start it up it will turn right over. The hmmwv is my first exposure to diesels so I'm lost I will say the wait glow plug light is on for a second then off. So curious if this is a starter or glow plug issue.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check voltage first, then check the glow plugs first. If they are fine and you are having these issues, I'd check the glow plug thermostat, then the control box.

The "Wait to start" light is an indication if the box things the glow plugs are working. Depending on the box, some just energize always, some based on temp, and some will test if the glow plugs are any good flash the wait-to-start if they're bad.

To check the voltage, (make sure the battery meter is right), when you turn the key to the 'run' position, does the meter drop into the Red or just at the Red/yellow junction? Or does it sit in the yellow? In my experience if it sits in the yellow, the glow plugs probably aren't on.

Next you can check the glow plugs, but you need a DC compatible AMP meter, then you can see if power is getting to them (and being used).

Next step is probably to remove a glow plug and check it. If you do go down to this, make sure you buy REAL glow plugs, there are a LOT of counterfits out there. The way to tell if it's real, the glow plug head will be 3/8" hex, NOT 10mm. If it's 10mm it's counterfit! Also the conenctor on the head of the glow plug will be the military bullet connector, not a flat spade connector.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I does sound like a glow plug issue, the one second flash is a problem if the engine is cold, it should be on for several seconds, 6-8 or so.
could be glow plugs, the EESS box and or the glow plug temp sending unit, there is a TM procedure to trouble shoot the issue, hopefully someone will drop the TM and section in this thread.

Overboard

I does sound like a glow plug issue, the one second flash is a problem if the engine is cold, it should be on for several seconds, 6-8 or so.
could be glow plugs, the EESS box and or the glow plug temp sending unit, there is a TM procedure to trouble shoot the issue, hopefully someone will drop the TM and section in this thread.
Is there any place like autozone I can get glow plugs?

papakb

Gentlemen, There are only about 384 posts about this exact issue right here on Steel Soldiers. 99.96% of them have the solutions to your problems. May I respectfully request that you use the search engine to discover them?

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gentlemen, There are only about 384 posts about this exact issue right here on Steel Soldiers. 99.96% of them have the solutions to your problems. May I respectfully request that you use the search engine to discover them?
Ummm.. 384 1/2 posts.. 🤣

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
also, is this one of those regional type sayings?

Cranking an engine, in definition, the same thing as turning over the engine.
I always get confused when people talk about cranking it, then it finally turning over.
Apparently, in local colloquialism, what they mean is they cranked it and it finally started firing or running.

Overboard

also, is this one of those regional type sayings?

Cranking an engine, in definition, the same thing as turning over the engine.
I always get confused when people talk about cranking it, then it finally turning over.
Apparently, in local colloquialism, what they mean is they cranked it and it finally started firing or running.
Maybe I always just said I was cranking the engine then it turned over

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I have 1045a2 6.5 non turbo, first start up is nothing but cranking and finally it will turn over, if I kill it and try to start it up it will turn right over. The hmmwv is my first exposure to diesels so I'm lost I will say the wait glow plug light is on for a second then off. So curious if this is a starter or glow plug issue.

Yep doing some homework goes along way in understanding different problems you may be having. And then when asking specific questions you can ask a more narrow question to your problem.

If you have an emergency then it would help get quicker solutions if you have an understanding of just the basics. So the sooner you can understand the basic operation while you are not in an emergency helps to educate you while not in a bind.

We all like to help, but unless you are willing to help yourself get basic knowledge to help the membership understand your question by us not having to ask what crank over means sure speeds up the process. The stickies and TM's are there to help.

I do not believe that anyone here is truly mean spirited, but frustration has its uses and helping us help you means a level of due diligence. And some just want you to get frustrated and sell to me for half price. :clinto: :naner::burn::cookoo: Capisce

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Again this shows the inadequacies of a forum, there is no organized "knowledge base" to look at so the same question gets asked over and over, even the sticky's tend to get full of superfluous BS and many times a search turns up nothing useful.
And if everyone did their homework and own research there would be little need for a forum such as this.

Glider

There should be a sticky or pinned post that covers each common hmmwv issue. We have a new owners checklist pinned. Why not a cold weather hard/no start checklist. For example you can still start a hmmwv with failing box of you just know what to look for. My box is failing Wai light will not come on steady sometimes it will flash some times it won't. It does afterglow. So I turn off and on until the afterglow cycle starts, the indicator is the ammeter. If it is being drawn down intermittently the plugs are getting heated a little each time. I just wait about three times as long and sometimes turn ignition off and on to start the cycle again. It will crank without fail so far. Please note I am doing Camo's smart box mod to eliminate these problems once and for all.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brand new to you??? First attempt at starting it??? Did it come out of Georgia??? Most don't realize that most if not all these trucks will require the fuel and start system to have a complete overhaul and cleaning, including a fuel tank removal. MAC, KASCAR,HPG for parts.Nothing cheap about these things.
Check out the price of a new start box, your wife will get along fine with just one kidney, or at least I'm trying to convince mine she will be OK!

Overboard

Check voltage first, then check the glow plugs first. If they are fine and you are having these issues, I'd check the glow plug thermostat, then the control box.

The "Wait to start" light is an indication if the box things the glow plugs are working. Depending on the box, some just energize always, some based on temp, and some will test if the glow plugs are any good flash the wait-to-start if they're bad.

To check the voltage, (make sure the battery meter is right), when you turn the key to the 'run' position, does the meter drop into the Red or just at the Red/yellow junction? Or does it sit in the yellow? In my experience if it sits in the yellow, the glow plugs probably aren't on.

Next you can check the glow plugs, but you need a DC compatible AMP meter, then you can see if power is getting to them (and being used).

Next step is probably to remove a glow plug and check it. If you do go down to this, make sure you buy REAL glow plugs, there are a LOT of counterfits out there. The way to tell if it's real, the glow plug head will be 3/8" hex, NOT 10mm. If it's 10mm it's counterfit! Also the conenctor on the head of the glow plug will be the military bullet connector, not a flat spade connector.
stayed in the yellow

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a 200 amp alternator, it will stay in yellow for about 30 seconds. That doesn’t mean the plugs are energized for 30 seconds. It is just not sending current to batteries yet.
the 400 amp may be the same.
Like Action said, the 200A has a "soft start" feature so it does not hammer out up to 200A all at once, if operating correctly after the wait light goes out you will see the volt meter move somewhat up and down at a little faster than a 1 second rate, this is called after glow as the controller flashes the glow plugs on and off to keep them warm after the wait light goes off, this can continue for several minutes after start up

Overboard

Like Action said, the 200A has a "soft start" feature so it does not hammer out up to 200A all at once, if operating correctly after the wait light goes out you will see the volt meter move somewhat up and down at a little faster than a 1 second rate, this is called after glow as the controller flashes the glow plugs on and off to keep them warm after the wait light goes off, this can continue for several minutes after start up
the meter doesn't seem to move

JetbikeAnt

If the light just stayed on for a second and went out I would say your Glow Plugs are Toast. Depending on what the light did before that, the Smart start / glow plug controller could have let the smoke out as well. I have the same Truck and all three were smoked when I took possession of it. First the light blinked. Then I installed a new set of Glow plugs. They started great once - 24 vdc stayed on until they popped- Then the light basically blinked and back to having to crank the thing to get it going. Check your Glow plug resistance. Its easy. I bet you see OL on your meter not 1.8.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree with others to check your glow plugs resistance. It's not hard, and they are relatively easy to reach. Make sure the connections are solid, they can lose their spring and not fasten to the top of the glow plugs well.
While it does sound like a glow plug issue, you didn't mention your fuel system. These are often clogged or crudded up, and you may be losing prime on your injection pump or something else. IF you have not personally changed the fuels filter and water screen, they are not expensive and are good insurance against future problems.
The Tech Manual has good drawings and troubleshooting guides on investigating glow plug issues. If you haven't downloaded the TMs, we highly recommend it. Use of the search function in Adobe acrobat is your friend, as they are hundreds of pages long. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/forums/present-conflict-vehicles-tms.119/

Bulldogger

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks