• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Question....

Jim Long

I purchased at auction a rolling chassis......
It has air lines running into the differentials.
What are these air lines for?
My only thought would be an upgraded air locker1686668606282.png

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am no HMMWV expert, but, there is no air on one, AFAIK. Most likely something for fording, so water doesn't get into the diffs, axles, trans, t-case, etc. Probably goes into the intake snorkel somewhere.

Just a guess

BLK HMMWV

Does it have a fording valve in it . it would be located to the right of the steering wheel next to the dog house behind the e brake lever.
However they sometimes chop the fording valve out for some reason when de-milling so there may be a hole there and no valve.

jake20

The air lines are vents. During normal operation, it’s just an escape path for any pressure that builds when components get hot. When fording water and you have the switch flipped, the system is supposed to put a slight amount of positive air pressure into all components with a vent line connected.

This in theory will prevent water from entering components. In reality, I would still drain and refill the fluids after any deep fording, the system isn’t perfect. That being said, deep water fording is considered a military feature and the system is completely dismantled prior to sale.

The key component to keep in mind is the CDR valve. They mutilate/remove these and thus leave a direct gaping hole in your intake manifold for contaminants to enter the cylinders. Vacuum out the hole area and install a CDR valve as soon as possible. You’ll find that there are two different types, get the one without extra nipples on it if you don’t care for the fording system.

jake20

Actually now that I look it seems you literally did just buy a chassis and no engine, so I guess don’t worry too much about my CDR blurb lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks