• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv radiator 6.5 non turbo, best option

Btharbold

Well, looks like its finally time to replace the radiator in my 1045. Its been weeping for awhile at the top tank, and getting worse now so...Is NOS OEM AM General the best option, or are there good replacements out there that seem to work well. Not looking to remove the hydraulic clutch at this time. I have seen some of the aluminum ones out there, anybody have any feedback on any of them? Appreciate it.

Brad

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had no issues with my Champion aluminum radiator at least in the 5500 miles so far, it cools really well, But it would not be a bad idea to take the old one and have a local radiator shop look at it first.

Last edited:

Btharbold

Was it a direct clean bolt in? Yea, seems like radiator shops are fading away into the past. All the ones that were near me have folded. Everything is throw away these days. I might keep the old one and see if it can be recored and have the tanks re soldered. But I do want to get a replacement in it for now to make it a quick turn around.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was it a direct clean bolt in? Yea, seems like radiator shops are fading away into the past. All the ones that were near me have folded. Everything is throw away these days. I might keep the old one and see if it can be recored and have the tanks re soldered. But I do want to get a replacement in it for now to make it a quick turn around.
Yes it bolted right in.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Champion CCHVB
Not sure what turbo models it will fit, maybe someone will chime in on that.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could you share the Champion part number?
And do you know if there is a difference in the NA and turbo version?
It was posted that Champion was working on an extended radiator, the more people inquire the more incentive they have to act.

Btharbold

Installed the Champion radiator, the thing fit like a glove, all mounting holes were correct. It looks great, especially considering the $. Truck runs well, seems to take longer between fan cycles. Will see how it does in summer heat. With the money saved over an OE unit I replaced every hose and pipe in the entire cooling system. Installed OEM thermostat, replaced the rubber hoses on the cooling stack. Very happy with the product, almost afraid to say to good to be true. I know they are coming out of China at that price, but even the welds on these things look good. I would recommend at this point. Thanks guys.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I discussed this with RWH many months ago and he explained…

An ECV has a different hood mechanism and different mounts to allow for the longer radiator.

The civilian H1 turbo and duramax turbo use a shorter radiator and do just fine.

Without major adaptation and major parts purchase you won’t be able to fit an ECV radiator into a standard hood rig.

I recored my standard radiator with a four core dimpled insert on my supercharged civilian H1 and it seems to be doing fine.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hummer H1 radiator and HMMWV radiator are different, the H1 inlet is farther to the drivers side than it is on a hmmwv.
Yes. True. But overall dimensions are the same. I have held both up to each other given that I own civilian and military units.

Steve is correct (as always).

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. True. But overall dimensions are the same. I have held both up to each other given that I own civilian and military units.

Steve is correct (as always).
I only say this because the website for champion I thought was a bit confusing on the application and part number…99.9 don’t know the difference and they don’t make an upper radiator hose to fit if you install the wrong one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks