• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv radiator 6.5 non turbo, best option

Swfb

I only say this because the website for champion I thought was a bit confusing on the application and part number…99.9 don’t know the difference and they don’t make an upper radiator hose to fit if you install the wrong one.
Theire website mentions it fits both H1 and all humvees. Is this incorrect?

rhino1515

I just sent Champion an inquiry about the turbo HMMWV
For anyone looking for an ECV replacement, I've been working with Champion to get a 6.5 Turbo ECV built. Sent them an ECV radiator for a pattern, and they will be sending me the prototype for fitment when it is complete. They said if all goes well, they should have them ready for sale in the next few months.

GTUnit

For anyone looking for an ECV replacement, I've been working with Champion to get a 6.5 Turbo ECV built. Sent them an ECV radiator for a pattern, and they will be sending me the prototype for fitment when it is complete. They said if all goes well, they should have them ready for sale in the next few months.
Any idea whats the least expensive source for a 6.5 Turbo Radiator now?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any news?

Hummer Guy

Installed the Champion radiator, the thing fit like a glove, all mounting holes were correct. It looks great, especially considering the $. Truck runs well, seems to take longer between fan cycles. Will see how it does in summer heat. With the money saved over an OE unit I replaced every hose and pipe in the entire cooling system. Installed OEM thermostat, replaced the rubber hoses on the cooling stack. Very happy with the product, almost afraid to say to good to be true. I know they are coming out of China at that price, but even the welds on these things look good. I would recommend at this point. Thanks guys.
Does this almost completely get rid of the fan from coming on while driving in the city?

Btharbold

No, it does seem to cool well and I’m happy with it. The operating temps are pretty much dictated by the thermostat, and the factory hydraulic fan clutch etc. Mine bumps between 220-230 once up to temp and the fan cycles regularly. I’ve thought about converting to the viscous clutch etc, but it doesn’t bother me enough to do so yet. Plus we drive our rig in the winter quite a bit so it’s a trade off. For the $ you can’t beat the radiator.

Hummer Guy

sure, go for it…..the 20mins you save not removing the hood will add an additional couple hours I suspect.
The thing is, I didn't won't to drop the hood while taking it off since I didn't have a 2nd person with me at the time, but you're right, it does make it a little more difficult, especially lifting the radiator out of the engine bay but I manage to pull through with it

rhino1515

Isn't this still the short radiator stack that goes in front of the normal M1123 and not the longer one for the turbo trucks?
These are for ECV. Check the measurements on the drawings. ECV has a 31" core, regular Core is 24 1/4". Besides helping them engineer them, I have installed three of them already on M1152s and M1167s.

rhino1515

The new ECV length radiator has been out for a month or two, I’ve already installed 2 at the shop.
Did you have any issues with the shroud mount spacings? When we were building the prototypes, we ended up looking at a number of OEM units for spacing, but there was always a variance between them. The final design that was used was a spacing average of the OEM units for the 2 interior mounts. They worked fine for me on a few of the trucks I used them on, but I'm curious how they worked for you.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you have any issues with the shroud mount spacings? When we were building the prototypes, we ended up looking at a number of OEM units for spacing, but there was always a variance between them. The final design that was used was a spacing average of the OEM units for the 2 interior mounts. They worked fine for me on a few of the trucks I used them on, but I'm curious how they worked for you.
yes, the radiator is longer than the shroud…I Had to align the bottom of the shroud so far down at the bottom, I used a flapper wheel
to remove some shroud at the center bottom so the rubber isolator would line up correctly.
If this wasn’t done, the shroud sat to to far back and the fan blade contacts the shroud.
not sure why they didn’t just use the true dimensions of the ECV radiator

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks