• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Rear steer

KsM715

Is it disabled over a certain speed? Looks like a wreck waiting to happen with an inexperienced driver at anything over 25mph. Dont get me wrong it looks like fun and would be very useful on tight trails but no use on the street.

nap159

chevy trucks and suv's had rear steer for a while. i've never owned one but i imagine it would be a cluster later in the vehicles life...more ball joints and tie rods to go bad...what do you guys think?

shannondeese

It automaticaly disables over 25mph. The controls are easy, just a joy stick and a couple of buttons. The HMMWV allready has the mounts in place for 4 wheel steering. This just replaces the stock brace with a link to an actuator. It is hydraulic and is street legal.

mudguppy

It automaticaly disables over 25mph. .... It is hydraulic and is street legal.
can you explain how it is street legal? only reason i ask because i am under the impression that a mechanical linkage is required, and i wouldn't expect CA to be any less stringent.

also, i know in the video it said the rear steer is "locked out" via the switch. i would think that the way you say it "disables" is probably more accurate. is there any positive locking device to secure the rear steer linkage?

M1075

Rear steer is awesome! I have it on my rockcrawler and my transport vehicle.

Are there enough HUMMER/HMMWV units around to generate sufficient demand for continued development and production of a quality system? I doubt it. You will need to look to unlce sugar for a real payback.

Attachments