• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Red Dot A/C Install Instructions

kromane

What is your belt number. Mine ate the belt having issues finding one that fits.
If I read it correctly...15435 11A1105. My recommendation, take the belt that got trashed to store, get belt with the # I gave you, and compare. If my # is incorrect, ask store to find belt same size/width as trashed belt. That's how I came up with my belt.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Old thread, but I thought I would post my experience in-case it helps someone in the future.

I had an aftermarket AC system installed in my M998 that had the 5 slot fan pulley. Originally, however installed it red neck engineered some bubba brackets out of flat steel. One of the brackets had a bubba cut a kind of really crocked slot to adjust belt tension. Do'oh! aua

Since I had to replace the compressor anyway, I figured it would be good to get the right bracket. So I got one of the Red Dot brackets RD-2-4113-0 for V Belt 5 Groove water pump pulley as posted by the OP. Thank you @WAGNUM for posting a clear copy of the instructions, as the one they gave me looked like it was a copy of the hundredth copy, torn, stained and unreadable!

My aftermarket system had a Saden Compressor, with a two slot pulley. Originally, it was rigged to use just one belt but when I converted to a 200 AMP generator, I redid the belts so that the AC was driven off two belts.

The compressor has a label that clearly tells you what kind of PAG oil to use, and how much to add to the compressor. Drain out the oil in the compressor and add the documented amount of the type the label states. Also replace your receiver dryer at the same time. Thoroughly flush the system too!

I mocked up the bracket and the new Saden compressor and came to the opinion that it is much better than the red-neck engineering it was using originally. However the belt alignment was way off! I guess that they really intended it to run off the single belt that they supply and I think that might have lined up. However, for me, the two belts I was using were totally misaligned. So I cut off about 50% of the two mounting collars, about 1/2" and totally cut out the part of the bracket where the head sticks out for two clamps to be bolted down. And instead of leaving the fuel return lines behind the bracket, I moved them in front of the bracket and was able to bolt the clamp down as they were originally but in front of the bracket.

Just a word that the bottom bolt that holds on the compressor, or I should say getting the nut on is a ball breaker! Not sure how it is possible to get something on it so you can tighten it.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I’m beginning to look at weird options for future fun.

RWH will be correct in stating these things are unnecessary.

The current a/c compressor in HMMWV is mounted where the civilian alternator is mounted. Got me thinking about dual alternators for emergency with all electric compressor mounted where ever the freak I want. Might do this to clean up the engine bays in my two M1114’s.