• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Red-Dot A/C - Water Drain

Lex_Ordo

038499_5.jpg038499_7.jpgM998_P1.jpgM998_P2.jpg
The local PD got a 1987 M998, and is now in service with new paint and decals.
It came out really ncie, for a used truck.
It was up-armored for pre-deployment training, and came with the Red-Dot A/C unit to keep the cabin cool.
What I have been noticing is that when the A/C runs, and as the evaporator pulls the water from the air, it collects in the bottom of the unit. There is a tray, but I can't seem to find any sort of a drain.

Eventually, you hear water slosh around. Has anyone worked on the red-dot in the HMMWV, and can point out any nuances of its operation and maintenance?
I'm thinking of drilling a hole in the bottom and letting it drain that way.

Last edited:

vitamink

I have nothing to add regarding the red dot system, however i would like to say that that thing is bad ass.

What's the deal with the soft top? I would also get the armored grill.

Lex_Ordo

Couldn't tell you a thing about the soft top.

My guess is that since it was used for pre-deployment training, maybe the thought was handling and getting in and out of the vehicle with equipment.

Or, if it went on it's side in a crash, since there is no turret to egress from, the occupants would have to cut the top to escape, because you won't get out any other way. It is completely enclosed by armor plate. The doors are a bit heavy to push up to open.

panzerwillie

My RED dot A/C has 2 tubes on the bottom of the trade with hoses draining outside vehicle , may need to drill and make something like a funnel good luck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks