• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Replacement Batteries

darr3239

I have used Optima batteries for a number of years, really like them. But, I did have one experience not too long ago.

I put a brand new Optima from AutoZone in one of my vehicles and it still wouldn't start. It replaced another Optima that they tested and said was dead. I started researching all over the Internet about what else could possibly be wrong and one guy mentioned you probably got a dead brand new battery.

I took the battery back to AutoZone and sure enough it tested dead. The clerk said that he seen a number of them come from the factory that way.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use 6tl batteries napa sells them for abt 200 per. the last set I bought where on sale for 183 plus I had a 20% off purchase coupon. And they fit perfectly
That's what I ended up doing.......OF COURSE I MANAGED TO GET THE HAWKERS THAT WERE STONE DEAD BACK TO LIFE in the meantime.....Never fails....... But I have other trucks that might need them soon.

wcorp87370

Interstate sells 6TL batteries for $170 per battery(with core). Since Interstate stores are individually owned, you have to call several stores before you get somebody to take time and special order them for you. I had to call 3 stores before store in Hollywood, FL would order one for me. Much better though since it is an original part(even has green color).

TOM R

i use the optima red top with the military base plate adapters, in our m37 we run the no longer available advanced auto store brand agm , when you buy a battery always check the date code sticker, most places dont keep up on the date codes because lazy but the battery manufacturers tell them not allowed to sell the battery after 18 months from date on battery, if there is no date code ask for a different battery ,its usually a small round colored sticker somewhere on the battery

also for optima and other agm batteries you need a special battery charger if they get drained too low to use

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Optima put profit ahead of USA and shifted production abroad.

I have no use for a company that does not support USA. I stopped buying their products years ago.

Odyssey batteries are at least partially made here. They last for years and have crazy good CCA.

Best,

T

Havick206

Optima put profit ahead of USA and shifted production abroad.

I have no use for a company that does not support USA. I stopped buying their products years ago.

Odyssey batteries are at least partially made here. They last for years and have crazy good CCA.

Best,

T
We use odyssey in some aircraft.

Which odyssey batteries did you use?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Odyssey PC2250 is basically the same size as the 6TL, I too am a big fan

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
It is like depending on where you are at and what stores you can get to that sell guaranteed batteries, isn't it. Storage/cranking batteries is NOT rocket science but there is literally millions of them and a thousand different flavors. Batteries construction and supplies to the masses is an art as much as a science.
You wanna know what a "prorated" guarantee/warranty is?
I ran many different cars and powerplants and did battery study for a long long time GI.
Go to the store and buy the cranking amps and cold weather performance You need and learn about the "prorated" guarantee/warranty beforehand.
Work is fun

Last edited:

Havick206

It is like depending on where you are at and what stores you can get to that sell guaranteed batteries, isn't it. Storage/cranking batteries is NOT rocket science but there is literally millions of them and a thousand different flavors. Batteries construction and supplies to the masses is an art as much as a science.
You wanna know what a "prorated" guarantee/warranty is?
I ran many different cars and powerplants and did battery study for a long long time GI.
Go to the store and buy the cranking amps and cold weather performance You need and learn about the "prorated" guarantee/warranty beforehand.
Work is fun

Seems like a good middle road are the Optimum yellow tops with the base plates for the reasons you mentioned above.

I’d love to spring for Odyssey’s, but it’s hard to justify the cost vs warranty and availability etc

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks