• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Replacement Pics

M1075

I saw these photos on foxnews.com today and thought they were too sexy not to share.

Here is the blurb from the article:

The replacement for the U.S. military’s iconic Humvee isn’t set to enter production until 2015, but the competition for what could end up being a $20 billion contract is heating up. There are six proposals to be the new Joint Light Tactical Vehicle currently in contention, but that will be whittled down to three in the coming weeks.
The criteria for the thoroughly modern trucks requires them to be armored; fitted with jam-proof doors; transportable by air, land and sea; able to be configured for a variety of uses including reconnaissance, carrying heavy guns and as utility vehicles; capable of running with damage to the fuel tank, oil pan or coolant system; have an automatic fire-extinguishing system and at least two run-flat tires. The price target is $250,000 per vehicle.

Read more: What will be the next Humvee? | Fox News

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I doubt the HMMWV replacement will need armor full-time. Armor is expensive, taxing on the vehicle's frame and suspension, and makes using the vehicle for less tactical uses (like just driving around base) a PITA since armor sometimes obstructs the view for the driver. I'm sure the capacity to install armor will be a requirement, but replacing the 1-1/4-ton HMMWV with a wheeled piece of armor makes about as much sense as, well, replacing the 1/4-ton M151 jeep with the HMMWV. In other words, it doesn't.

The replacement for the HMMWV should slightly resemble the current 1-1/4-ton HMMWV in size, weight, and capability. Otherwise, it's not a replacement, it's a supplant.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the defense budget reductions, the HMMWV will be with us for many more years. All these designs were made up durring the war, when $$ was flowing like water.. Not so anymore.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks