• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV retrieval suggestions

TonkaT

I know this has surely been covered in previous threads, but I can't find much more than reference to a 7500# Uhaul vehicle trailer barely working. Please forgive in advance or better yet, post some links to prior relevant threads.

My plan is to use a 7500# dual axle tilting vehicle hauler from a local equipment rental. Distance between the wheel fenders is 82". Of course I'm worried about squeezing the front tires through to get it on. The M998 runs, but only when on slave cables. My hope is the guys at the offsite yard have cables long enough to allow me to power the HMMWV onto the trailer. Otherwise, I will be using a winch or chainfall. The pick up site is ~200 miles one way.

Has anyone used a tow dolly or direct pulled with a tow bar with success? My M998 has tow bar mounts on the front bumper. Thank you for any suggestions.

TonkaT
SE GA

DatGuyC

Tow dolly wont work because these trucks are AWD, unless you pull the rear drive shaft. With flat tow you have to make sure that the transmission wont spin while going down the road even with the transfer case in neutral, the transmission could still spin from parasitic drag. Its suggested that you disconnect both drive shafts if you flat tow. The issue I have with both of these is that you don't really know what shape the hubs/differentials/half shafts are in. If anything has bad bearings or no oil then it could lead to very bad things when going down the highway. Best result is to get a proper trailer and trailer it home. I've used the u-haul trailer before and the hummer barely fit on it, I wouldn't really recommend it for any distance.

Jeepsinker

Bring two new batteries with you and install them there, then you can drive it on and off the trailer untethered. That is likely the only reason it won't run off the slave cable, the batteries are just that bad, have cells shorted, or are completely missing.

KsM715

Once slaved off it should run to get it on the trailer. Shouldn't need to leave it connected once it's started. Bringing two batteries is a good idea. You don't want to run it very long or it will fry the alt. running it long enough to get it on the trailer should be ok

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I flat towed mine a while back and the towing manners are worse than a M151. The front wheels don't want to track around corners, and when you back up the front wheels want to go to full lock. Use the trailer.

TonkaT

Thank you for all of the input. Extremely helpful.

Lawdog, I'm picking it up in Warner Robins this Friday.

TonkaT

olewhiskey

Have flat towed four. Twice with f250 4x4 , once F150 4x4 once with Suburban. Checked all diff fluids before towing away. Drop driveshafts front and rear. Used magnetic tow lights with battery.Used a tow bar. Three were fine , one tracked horribly.They will ALWAYS fit on the 7.5 UHUAL trailer. Take two batteries.

Lawdog734

They will ALWAYS fit on the 7.5 UHUAL trailer.
Always, huh? I can assure you it very much won't "always" fit. With the Goodyears I'd say it barely fits based on my last haul. My first one had BFG Baja's on it and it definitely did not fit like it was supposed to.

If it was a matter of always adequately fitting, I suppose there'd be a good reason for why U-Haul won't let you tow with one and everybody has to fib about what they're towing.

While more expensive, you're better off renting a deck-over and doing it right.

hummer4x4guy

I have seen and I've drove hummers/humvees onto a standard size flat deck trailer with wheel fenders to deal with. The rubber of the front tires will squeeze in between the wheel fenders. You just need to aim your drivers tire a bit into the fender. Just saying what I've seen and done in the past when trailering was needed.

Lawdog734

Joel - I have no doubt that you can squeeze one onto a U-Haul trailer. I'm just saying be careful when using absolutes like "always" and it still doesn't mean the U-Haul car trailers are the most appropriate choice for these vehicles.

olewhiskey

Always, huh? I can assure you it very much won't "always" fit. With the Goodyears I'd say it barely fits based on my last haul. My first one had BFG Baja's on it and it definitely did not fit like it was supposed to.

If it was a matter of always adequately fitting, I suppose there'd be a good reason for why U-Haul won't let you tow with one and everybody has to fib about what they're towing.

While more expensive, you're better off renting a deck-over and doing it right.
Sorry you can't do better. I bet I've had more on them than you or assisted in recoveries but keep practicing you'll get it right sooner or later.:goodjob:

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going to get two on Thursday with a roll back, so will have to tow one, two wheels not flat tow. What is needed to pull the drive shafts? Is it metric, star,or what. Want to make sure we have the right tools.

DWagg

TonkaT my baby is there in Warner Robbins, GA. too. I bought mine on 9/28 and as of today 11/02 I'm still waiting on the release papers. When did you buy yours? Also, if you don't mind & if you can, check on mine when you're there. Its got a "C" spray painted on the drivers front fender
. 464476_6002_159_0001.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks