• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Role Identification - CTIS Model

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been watching the HMMWV auctions close for anomalies and gabbed this unique "M1097R2" recently. CTIS, winch, pintle extension, and more. I've had a few AD friends look at it but so far no cohesive conclusion on what role or loadout it had while in service. ADA launcher, satellite erection, or shelter carrier are what has been tossed around. There's a "T" fitting for either a mechanical tach or speedo that would go into the bed but it has been cut. Additional large wire bundles going to the rear bed area and two 0/1 gauge wires on the rear bumper to power what ever the trailer was. There's so many weird features on this one it as even suggested to look for a rear facing winch that some special forces use but no luck there.

This link below shows a number of familiar features but everything on the rear bumper is different.

Can anyone recognize this HMMWV setup? I would like manuals for the CTIS to see if it can be revived too.

Attachments

Reactions: OBX

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It had the large shelter in it that overhangs the rear bumper.
Yes those mounts are for the S788 type shelter, I have an extra one, shelter that is.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pintle extension is part of the shelter mounting package.

Winch and ctis makes me think a special shelter with gizmos supporting sf.......

I saw many m1097's in Mobile with different shelter mounts. Depends on which type of shelter is being mounted20230116_112432.jpg20230116_112421.jpg20230116_112417.jpg20230116_112409.jpg

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pintle extension is part of the shelter mounting package.

Winch and ctis makes me think a special shelter with gizmos supporting sf.......

I saw many m1097's in Mobile with different shelter mounts. Depends on which type of shelter is being mountedView attachment 890705View attachment 890706View attachment 890707View attachment 890708
I saw a lot of those setups at Hood including a few drone launcher units with Raytheon logo remains on the side panels. I'm leaning more and more SF as tacky as sounds to me.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My CTIS on my Civlian unit is giving me some tremendous “enjoyment”. I’m tracing leaks front and back… When they work they are awesome. When they don’t you have “issues”.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My CTIS on my Civlian unit is giving me some tremendous “enjoyment”. I’m tracing leaks front and back… When they work they are awesome. When they don’t you have “issues”.
Oh I bet. All four tires on this one are flat as Kansas so I'm expecting one seal/o-ring to fail at a time until they're all replaced. aua

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been watching the HMMWV auctions close for anomalies and gabbed this unique "M1097R2" recently. CTIS, winch, pintle extension, and more. I've had a few AD friends look at it but so far no cohesive conclusion on what role or loadout it had while in service. ADA launcher, satellite erection, or shelter carrier are what has been tossed around. There's a "T" fitting for either a mechanical tach or speedo that would go into the bed but it has been cut. Additional large wire bundles going to the rear bed area and two 0/1 gauge wires on the rear bumper to power what ever the trailer was. There's so many weird features on this one it as even suggested to look for a rear facing winch that some special forces use but no luck there.

This link below shows a number of familiar features but everything on the rear bumper is different.

Can anyone recognize this HMMWV setup? I would like manuals for the CTIS to see if it can be revived too.

S-788 variant shelter carrier or 842 electronic shelter with winch and CTIS. I'm sorry you had to pay so much for it. HAHA I was after for same reason.
Right behind seats is shelter front holder setting on isolaters, same as rear, extended pintal

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
S-788 variant shelter carrier or 842 electronic shelter with winch and CTIS. I'm sorry you had to pay so much for it. HAHA I was after for same reason.
Right behind seats is shelter front holder setting on isolaters, same as rear, extended pintal
It's all good. It needs a lot of work and may end up being cannibalized to install on a better truck. I've only drained 5 gallons of water from the block and tried to turn her over a little so far. She is just in queue until her number gets called.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks