• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Rollover Crash, Indiana

Awol

I've often wondered why more people didn't put roll cages in their Humvees. The truck is similar in design to a Jeep, where the roof and pillars aren't going to offer any protection in a roll over. Jeep decided to put a bolt in cage in their trucks, and although they're not the strongest things in the world, they're far stronger than some canvas.

319cssb

I've often wondered why more people didn't put roll cages in their Humvees. The truck is similar in design to a Jeep, where the roof and pillars aren't going to offer any protection in a roll over. Jeep decided to put a bolt in cage in their trucks, and although they're not the strongest things in the world, they're far stronger than some canvas.
HMMWV are designed in a fashion to make them pretty hard to roll over. 40 % side slope is very steep. And also... having training in how to handle a HMMWV in off road situations helps a lot.

Skrilex

Banned
HMMWV are designed in a fashion to make them pretty hard to roll over. 40 % side slope is very steep. And also... having training in how to handle a HMMWV in off road situations helps a lot.
If you’d be willing to share what you think are the important handling differences I’d be interested to hear. I haven’t had the pleasure of ever driving one, and they are like no other “car” ever made!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well since probably 90% of the people buying these don't even bother to read the -10 TM , I doubt they have training in how to handle a HMMWV in off road situations.

jeffy777

The little I had gathered from the accident. It is hard to fault the design of the HMMWV or the driver. It seems weird to be out trying to ford a River or stream in the middle of winter in Indiana (there is that). Recreational driving a HMMWV at night seems odd to me. (I guess I am faulting the drivers decision making) Unless someone says more I just feel sad for the loss.

319cssb

I think this story is very sad, there a bunch of discrepancies. And I wouldn't be surprised if we hear something that makes us go 'now that figures'.

riderdan

I think this story is very sad, there a bunch of discrepancies. And I wouldn't be surprised if we hear something that makes us go 'now that figures'.
Yeah, it's always bad when someone gets killed.

Pure speculation until we hear more, but I'd guess there was alcohol involved. First, as mentioned above, who drives their HMMWV at night, right along the bank a river, in the dead of winter in Indiana? Second, who "forgets" they don't have a phone in their house? Lots of other questions... were the headlights on? Were they driving too fast? Were they screwing around?

Another thought: those look like the GSS seats and I don't see the 3-point rear belt towers. I'm wondering if they had four-point harnesses and the wives at least weren't 100% familiar with how they unfasten.

This is a tragedy for sure. I'm skeptical that it will have an impact on the MV community. When I was heavily involved in various Model A clubs there were a number of fatal accidents in the community and there was never any real attempt to do anything about it as far as laws... and that was in the Democratic People's Republic of California, where they believe that a new law will solve ANY problem.

NormB

You're probably right there. There is a video on YouTube to familiarize the HMMWV. But I'm sure most won't even bother watching that.
https://youtu.be/FUd33Jd7wqY?list=PLW9OvUT1tjjrXrZfzAc-O2gtVtuaTVOKU

I watched a version of this back in the early 90s at the 25th ID. I’ve watched it since then, about two years ago when I started contemplating buying a Humvee, started stalking this website and others for information, pros, cons.

Thanks for the reminder. I’ll watch this again today. Learning is gradual, never-ending (even for those with photographic or eidetic memories, there’s STILL memory and action are two different things) and repetition is the key to adult education.

NB

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The autopsies for the women said they drowned.

*ISP UPDATE FEBRUARY 5, 2018: The autopsies on Breezie Mason, 33, and Meaghan Meeks, 32, were conducted earlier today in Vincennes. According to Knox County Coroner Brian Hagen, both women died of drowning. The manner of death for both women has been ruled accidental.Toxicology is pending.

kdaniels

Even under the best conditions with trained personnel, roll cage or not, a night time roll over in deep water (over 5') is going to be tough to survive. Cold water and panic are killers. I'm sorry to hear about these women losing their lives in such a way. If they were wearing seat belts trying to get them unbuckled under the stress they were under would have been hard. I know of a similar incident that involved a tractor/bush hog and a pond....same result even with the ROPS protection.

Semper Fi

keith

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Either I’m doing this wrong or you think this is a snarky comment forum rather than a discussion forum.
After you read the TM and still have question they most likely will get answered. It don't make much sense to try and explain something to somebody who has no idea what your trying to explain.

Action

In my first humvee, the seatbelt releases were very sticky. Always a good idea to make sure your latches function smoothly.

Skrilex

Banned
After you read the TM and still have question they most likely will get answered. It don't make much sense to try and explain something to somebody who has no idea what your trying to explain.
Just forget I asked. I’ll use the trial and error method. I won’t waste my time watching videos that tell me how to adjust a seat and a mirror. That’s killing brain cells that I don’t care to waste.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please post in a friendly manner, as the rules request.

tage

Just forget I asked. I’ll use the trial and error method. I won’t waste my time watching videos that tell me how to adjust a seat and a mirror. That’s killing brain cells that I don’t care to waste.
You have to read the tm's. even if you skim the dull stuff...... It's like a clintons manual. goes over everything. want to know how to trouble shoot. there's a flow chart in the tm. Change the oil. Look at the dog house plate for the tm number that corresponds, and it's all there.

Please understand the TM's are very important, and not just adjusting a seat, or a mirror. It'll tell you how to rebuild the th400 probably going to be in the -30, but the information is all there. It's nothing like an owners manual. way more information.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a similar policy in mind. At least for anyone riding in the troop seats. I plan get get a few skate helmets that have back- and side-of-head protection. 3-point belts, padded b-pillar, and high-back seats in the front should negate the necessity of it in the front seats, but I could be convinced otherwise.

I was thinking just the same thing about what looks like a middle seat. I'm now very glad there wasn't also a kid there in that seat, as that's probably who it was placed there for. I bet the lack of c-pillar is related to that middle row seat- maybe the guy was custom-fabbing something, or just doesn't care and intended to drive it out in the open?
I think we're being over apprehensive here, A lot of us have heavier vehicles and we know if we have a steer tire blowout and go into a ditch, we're pretty much dead meat, It's just a fact. M35's, M939's makes no difference. If you roll over everybody in the cab and most in the box are dead. Life is a gamble. You can get killed walking to your mailbox.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks