• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv: Rt 524/vrc + r 442/vrc

Meduser

Hi,

I wanted a radio system for my HMMWV, that's why I bought a RT 524/VRC and a R 442/VRC with mountings etc. It was more an accessory, but now I want to get it to work. I got a plan with the cables and stuff I need for the installation, but I have still some questions and I hope that you can help me (by the way: I don't know anything about radios ... :-| ):

1. I have an antenna AS 3900A/VRC. Does it fit with the RT 524 or do I need the AS-1729/VRC?

2. Where and how do I install the AB 15/GR on the HMMWV? Are there any pictures?

Thank you very much!

Meduser

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. 3900 is for the frequency hopping radios not the 524. Look for an MX-6707 base and the AS-1729 antenna.

2. Opposite side from the MX-6707, usually on the back.

Meduser

Ahh, okay! Thank you for your fast answer. Maybe I keep the AS 3900 on the Humvee, let's see how 3 antennas looks like.

Have you got an idea which mount fits to the AB 15? All mounts I've seen were designed for the M 151.

Regards, Meduser

papakb

Meduser,

The AS-3900 will work perfectly well with the RT-524, the only difference between them is the MX-6707 (AT-1729) needs a control cable to tell it the frequency range you are operating on and the AS-3900 is broadband and doesn't need it. You didn't state what model HMMWV you have but there are adapter plates that mount the receiver AB-15 antenna base to the locations on the fastback sponsons and rear mounted antenna brackets or you can use an AB-558 that has a resin base that bolts directly to the mounting brackets. The aluminum antenna brackets are readily available and cheap but if you use one on the rear panel make sure you install some fender washers inside the body to keep antenna motion from tearing through the metal. The HMMWV body is pretty thin and won't stand up to much flexing.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

Last edited:

Meduser

Hi Kurt,

bought a aluminum antenna bracket with a adapter plate, when I get the parts I will follow your installation tips (it's an 89er M1026). Thanks!

Regards, Meduser

Wile E. Coyote

I think the RT-246/524 sets will take a continuous VSWR of 4.0 without blowing up (though I wouldn't recommend it), where the AS-3900A's worst match is, I think, 2.5 - 3.0 - but it's been awhile.