• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV rusty frame rails

Action

Have all of you folks checked the inside of the frame rails for rusting out? I don't think I have read anything about this. That was a known problem long ago, especially for those that went through salt water. Water goes in front of rail and doesn't come out the back...I was curious if GP has sold some bad frames or not.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen a few...but this is more a Marine corp truck issue, many of the trucks I've purchased have the MWO hole drilled in the frame rail for drainage.

papakb

If you go back and do some more investigation on this subject you'll find that this isn't a new issue at all and has been discussed numerous times. We always used to tell prospective buyers to get on a creeper and roll down the length of the frame tapping on it with a hammer. The frames are good steel and will ring until you get to a rotten section and then all you get is a thud. The other thing you want to do is to drill some small "weep holes" down the length of the frame to prevent water from being trapped inside.

As stated, when you go fording in these vehicles coming out of the water in runs down into the frame and sits there unless you back out of the water. You could fill the front of the frame rail with expanding foam and then paint it black but it's easier to just drill a series of holes down the length and allow the water to drain out by itself.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you go back and do some more investigation on this subject you'll find that this isn't a new issue at all and has been discussed numerous times. We always used to tell prospective buyers to get on a creeper and roll down the length of the frame tapping on it with a hammer. The frames are good steel and will ring until you get to a rotten section and then all you get is a thud. The other thing you want to do is to drill some small "weep holes" down the length of the frame to prevent water from being trapped inside.

As stated, when you go fording in these vehicles coming out of the water in runs down into the frame and sits there unless you back out of the water.
You could fill the front of the frame rail with expanding foam and then paint it black but it's easier to just drill a series of holes down the length and allow the water to drain out by itself.
Most expanding foam with hold moisture also.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen a few...but this is more a Marine corp truck issue, many of the trucks I've purchased have the MWO hole drilled in the frame rail for drainage.
RWH,

Could you provide the number or a copy of the MWO? I would like to know where the holes should be drilled and the visual will help.I would also be glad to cross post it up here for other members.

DatGuyC

I'd be tempted to squirt some kind of oil inside the frame rails. WD40 probably isn't persistent enough. Maybe motorcycle chain lube or chainsaw chain lube?
Boiled linseed oil dries and forms a protective film over the metal surface, I did it inside the H1 trailer hitch I have.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd be tempted to squirt some kind of oil inside the frame rails. WD40 probably isn't persistent enough. Maybe motorcycle chain lube or chainsaw chain lube?
The problem with that is it will attract dirt build-up with will also hold moisture.

papakb

There are two types of expanding foam, open cell and closed cell. Closed cell foams don't retain water like the open cell types do.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are two types of expanding foam, open cell and closed cell. Closed cell foams don't retain water like the open cell types do.
Right, your post doesn't include that information , that's why I said "Most expanding foam with hold moisture" people will see your post and go buy the cheapest can of Great Stuff at Home Depot and will create a worst problem than they started with.

dilvoy

Before the two Frame Rail Halves were welded together to make a complete unit, there were two thin sheet metal bulkheads of sorts welded to one of the halves. It's not water tight by any means, but you would not be getting a garden hose or anything like past them. If I remember correctly, they were near the areas just ahead and behind the flat portion that is under the passenger compartment. This is for the 10.3 K Frame Rails. I do not know about them being used in 12K or REV Frame Rails.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks