• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV sand color paint can tell its history? Were they all painted green first at AMG

vinhvinny

I was told that sand color humvees can tell you that most likely they served in war and shipped back to the US.

IS THAT TRUE?

It makes good sense to me that they only need to paint in that sand/tan color if it is to serve in the middle east.

if a Humvee was in war it is probably very beat up and would have a lot problem due to extensive use, I'd rather not buy that.

Second question, is that were all HMMWV's painted solid green or green camo at AMG factory.

Because I notice on GP site that most sand color hmmwv's either have green interior or show green paint underneath.

Does that mean sand color paint was only added on later when needed?

thank you,

vinny

Last edited:

tage

Considering they only used soft top hmmwv for the very first part I would highly doubt those hit DRMO. My truck is a tan NTC truck from Ft. Irwin. I would assume the rest are training trucks as well.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trucks are painted based on current And forecasted AO's. So motor pools can have both tan and green...the more desert ops as we have done the last 20yrs, many trucks are Tan....but a lot of CONUS trucks are still green...not including NTC and desert training sites. So most national guard trucks are still green Camo.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paint color doesn't indicate anything. We had M998's come thru brand new green or camo, and once they hit the motorpool, it got sent off to the MSB's paint shop so it matched the rest of the fleet.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paint color doesn't indicate anything. We had M998's come thru brand new green or camo, and once they hit the motorpool, it got sent off to the MSB's paint shop so it matched the rest of the fleet.
Vice versa for me, we had armored M1152 Shelter carriers with shelters come in while in Korea. They were brand new and desert tan, after the exercise cycle, sent them to paint to become Woodland Camo to match the rest of the fleet. Thankfully our M1165s came already in woodland.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe HMMWVs only came tan from the factory starting in the mid-90s. I hope to be corrected if I am wrong. Basically all of what GP is selling is a repaint after manufacture.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's quite simple to tell a repaint and not a factory job...but if you notice on the new trucks, M1165's, m1151 and 2' etc...they interior is green, the exterior is Tan. The only trucks I've seen that have tan interior are the rag tops.
any of the armored trucks are always green inside and at my base at least...tan outside.
i used to work up at the "big shop" AKA...MSB for the state, paint was done based on what used to be referred to as a units Cap stone.

vinhvinny

It's quite simple to tell a repaint and not a factory job..
Can you go into a little more details about how to distinguish repaint from factory job? Especially for GP hmmwv's.

Or it is simply by comparing the interior vs exterior to tell.

Another question is that, Are there many HMMWV'S on GovPlanet that are actually shipped back to US after the wars?

How can I tell?

Thank you gentlemen,

vin

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you won't find anything on GP that hasn't been repainted multiple times.

A knowledge of unit markings will tell you where it came from.

I'm continually amused at the premium people pay for "clean rust free desert trucks that have never seen snow" being sold out of Davis Monthan AFB(Arizona) and Ft Huachuca (Arizona), showing WY, UT and MT national guard bumper markings....

Last edited:

2w091

humvee2.jpgOurs was desert tan when we got it, that tan CARC looked like it was slopped on with a garden hose. I did some checking with the unit we got it from, it was tasked to be deployed but never was. It's my understanding most non-armored HMMWV's deployed were not brought back, they were left in place for our "allies" to use because the cost to ship them back was prohibitive. Chances are if yours is tan, but green inside, the unit it was assigned to was tasked to deploy it at some point, but it never was.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
if a Humvee was in war it is probably very beat up and would have a lot problem due to extensive use, I'd rather not buy that.

vinny

Also, not all trucks that go to war will meet that statement! I know of trucks that went over and had no more the 100 miles added! There is no way to know what units or drivers beat trucks to death! GP does list issues and they back what they are selling. Also, if you have the ability to expect the vehicle first, that's a bit better, but still not a guarantee!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I was told that sand color humvees can tell you that most likely they served in war and shipped back to the US.

IS THAT TRUE?

Second question, is that were all HMMWV's painted solid green or green camo at AMG factory.

Because I notice on GP site that most sand color hmmwv's either have green interior or show green paint underneath.

Does that mean sand color paint was only added on later when needed?

thank you,

vinny

Bottom line on both of these questions is no. There's a reason I don't respond much to posts like this anymore. It tends to remind me how some people (such as the idiot that told you this horse scat) can have so much raw sewage between their ears.

gunboy1656

The unit I went to Iraq with in 04 took camo trucks with us. The tan color means nothing about where it went. My former unit was camo only, they upgraded trucks and got all tan now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks